About TCU?

<p>Milton Daniel is the honors dorm and it is newly renovated and very nice. Clark and Sherley have both been renovated within the past couple of years and are also very nice. Moncrief is known as the athletes dorm and Colby is the all-girls dorm. Waits and Foster are a little older but still nice dorms and they all have a great community and wonderful residence hall staff. Brachman is the only one I wouldn’t recommend since it is much farther away from the rest of campus.</p>

<p>I heard some Honors students get put in Moncrief too. Upon acceptance, can you request a specific dorm?</p>

<p>yes…do it ASAP to get good options…although, most of them ARE good options!!!</p>

<p>yeahhhhh go horned frogs, i’m transferring in next semester, can’t waittT!</p>

<p>Full page color ad in the Los Angeles Times today about TCU! GO FROGS!</p>

<p>Hi! I was just accepted to TCU and wanted to apply for housing. I’m very interested in going greek and looking for a “fun” co-ed dorm. Does anyone have any suggestions?</p>

<p>i vote Moncrief (great location and has a good mix due to all the athletes!) BUT it is older…Sherley is brand-new, very slick and a lot of fun too!</p>

<p>How’s the social scene if you don’t like to drink/party?</p>

<p>Can any current students comment on the liveliness of Milton Daniel? I’ve heard two things: “as fun as other dorms” and “quiet.” These seem somewhat contradictory!</p>

<p>Can any current students comment on the liveliness of Milton Daniel? I’ve heard two things: “as fun as other dorms” and “quiet.” These seem somewhat contradictory! </p>

<p>Probably depends on your roomie/hall/floor…?</p>

<p>How’s the social scene if you don’t like to drink/party? </p>

<p>My girls are not real partiers…but college kids do drink (usually) even if it’s just a casual beer. Texas is a VERY FUN state & they are actually fairly lax on drinking. For instance, when I am in town, we can all go for Mexican food and I can order a pitcher of margaritas for my table of girls (even under 21) because they are with a parent. That would never, ever happen in California! That said, we do it for a special thing when I am in town and I do not make a huge deal out of drinking. Personally have found it is better than way, rather than making it a forbidden fruit. I have three kids and two drink, one doesn’t. They are 23, 21 and 18 years old.
I am sure a kid would do fine at TCU either way.</p>

<p>Hey there!
I’m currently a junior and right now TCU is the top of my list for possible schools. However, before I move forward, my mom and I both have some questions…</p>

<p>I’m from Boston and my mom is worried that a girl from the north won’t fit in/be accepted very well at a southern school like TCU. What are your thoughts on this?</p>

<p>Also, I’m very curious about Greek Life.
I don’t really party and could not deal with hazing, are there any sororities that I would fit into? If they party, that’s fine just as long as that isn’t the main activity. And are there any that don’t haze?
I’ve been reading that with girls it’s not as bad if you aren’t in Greek as opposed to boys, so I’m still weighing my options.</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>[College</a> Results Online](<a href=“http://www.■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■/collegeprofile.aspx?institutionid=228875]College”>http://www.■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■/collegeprofile.aspx?institutionid=228875)</p>

<p>It states that TCU’s graduation rate is 49.6% in 4 years, 67.2% graduate in 5 years. That is very low! As a comparison, University of Notre Dame has a graduation rate of 90.7% in 4 years.</p>

<p>I haven’t heard of hazing in sororities… Is that common? Additionally with all of the crack-downs on fraternities, I’ve heard that hazing is really minimal. Comments anyone?</p>

<p>Rice1961 - Why do you think the four year graduation rate is so low? I think it may be because it is hard to sign up for classes because they are already filled by upper classmen or due to a shortage of class offerings. Thus, it will take longer than four years to graduate because you aren’t able to take the classes when you want. In short, it will cost more because then you will have to stay on another year or two in order to graduate. I thought this was an issue only at public state universities. I didn’t realize that private institutions may also have this issue. When I went to ND’s orientation, they stressed the importance of graduating in 4 years and that their advisors will make sure that you graduate on time. It was a very important issue to them. Obviously it is if they have a 91% graduation rate in four years. Your thoughts?</p>

<p>Good question NewJersey. I read that TCU’s graduation rate is 50% in 4 years, 69% in 6. I am very surprised though. S was admitted to the Honors program and gets first priority for classes so it shouldn’t be a problem for him but… it is odd. Tulane and SMU is 59% in 4 years which isn’t much better.</p>

<p>^I don’t think TCU has a big problem with class registration. I mean, I don’t think it’s because kids can’t take the classes they want. We looked at this school very, very closely, two years ago, and I’m pretty sure I would have heard about this if it were a problem. Could it simply be that the kids WANT to stick around – that the kinds of kids who go there aren’t in any rush to leave? That money isn’t a factor for their families? Could it have anything to do with the great athlete population? I’m grasping at straws here …
but I’m just saying that it isn’t necessarily caused by a shortage of classes. That just doesn’t sound like TCU to me.</p>

<p>^Oh. And most schools that we’ve toured, when someone else in the group asks the question about 4 year graduation rates, say something like this, “We can’t quote 4 year graduation rates. We’re only required to track graduations within 6 years, and so you’ll find that most colleges will only quote a 6 year rate. We don’t even track the 4 year rate.” I don’t know if that’s what TCU would say, or not. I just know that I’ve heard that question a bunch of times on college tours over the years, and the admissions staff usually answer with that answer.</p>

<p>newjersey17, I wouldn’t be too concerned about TCU’s 4 year grad rate being lower than Notre Dame. As I see it, those 4 year grad rates are often more a function of how selective the school is to get into in the first place.</p>

<p>For example, four of the hardest schools to get into in Texas are: Rice, UT, SMU, and TCU. The 4 year grad rates for those schools are: Rice 83%, UT 51%, SMU 62%, and TCU 55%.</p>

<p>Most of the students that go to Notre Dame are elite or upper tier students who have their lives pretty much planned to a tee. Graduating in 4 years is almost a given for those types of students. I’m sure that the kids who go to TCU that were also accepted to ND and other tough schools, have a very high 4 year grad rate at TCU.</p>

<p>TCU charges tuition assuming an 18 hour semester. IMO, that is one huge incentive to finish on time, or at least to take a decent load each semester. They also have a lot more profs per capita than most schools.</p>

<p>No reason to believe that a motivated, strong student can’t graduate in 4 years from TCU.</p>

<p>^Well said. :)</p>