Accept Full Scholarship and transfer to BU or Stay at UMass Boston

True, although for the schools that I applied for this year it said “for the classes you wish to receive credit for, please submit syllabi”.

Regardless, I think that if I went in with the intention of spending 3 years, that would not be too difficult especially if I did minimum credits or tried to add on a major or minors. I know for certain that Dartmouth, Vanderbilt, and Rice would require me to complete 3 years if accepted as a junior transfer since I spoke to transfer admissions counselors at the schools.

How much time do you want to spend getting a bachelors degree? Adding a year…defers earning income for a year. BU has a fine business school.

That makes sense. I was asking only because getting into BU again next year wouldn’t be guaranteed (and they don’t offer the option of deferring a transfer offer), so I wondered what your fallback position would be next year, by way of gauging the risk associated with waiting. I could see BU de-prioritizing you for acceptance if you already turned them down once.

UTA= UT Austin? Is there a path to affordability there?
USC could be a good fit for your aspirations but could end up costlier than BU - you’ll have to wait and see what the aid offer looks like if you get in.

I wasn’t clear that your BU aid was need-based; that does make sense, then, that the other privates on your list would probably be similarly generous. (Possibly excepting USC… and potentially BC if your parents own their home.)

If you’re having a good experience at UMass Boston, strongly prefer the schools you hope to apply to next year, have an affordable backup plan, and are comfortable holding off, I don’t think it would be a terrible decision. But there’s also something to be said for getting out of “trading up” mode and starting to put down roots at the school you’re going to graduate from.

I am aware BU has a fine business school but the quality of the business school was not my sole criteria for selecting schools(especially since Dartmouth and Vandy do not have business schools).

I am fine with spending 5 years on undergraduate education; I am in no rush to join the workforce.

Ok…you have me very confused now. Why exactly are you transferring? Is it to get into a more prestigious college…or what?

Plenty of majors at BU also.

1 Like

I meant the schools on my list for next year(I am aware that USC and UT austin would not meet 100% of need).

Do you think that BU would possibly offer the option of deffering a transfer option if I came up with a good enough reason. I have also been accepted to Northeastern so do you think they might defer admission if I have a strong reason?

I seriously doubt schools will defer transfers…unless it’s for significant medical reasons.

And you haven’t applied to Vandy or Dartmouth this year…right?

I think your first major decision is…do you want to go to a different college fall 2023…or NOT.

BU’s transfer admissions page says

which sounds pretty definitive to me. I’m not sure about Northeastern - couldn’t find a transfer-specific answer with a quick search.

1 Like

FWIW the college, not you, will determine how many credits transfer.

If you are accepted as a junior do not assume you can get three years of financial aid at the school.

5 Likes

This is a great point.

Will the government or your college will be ok with you dragging your feet and staying out of workforce?

I don’t know how it works now, but when I was in college my financial aid was only good for 8 semesters. Unless that was a lie my parents told to get me out on time, your 5th year could be very expensive.

1 Like

BU full tuition is a dream.

As for MBA, it won’t matter if you go to BU or Boise State.

What will matter is your Gpa, GMAT (if required, many are backing away) and most importantly work experience.

And why do you want an MBA ? For a business undergrad, it may or may not be necessary.

I like free. But BU vs UMASS Boston vs UT won’t be why you get into a top MBA or not.

How would the net price compare to that which your correct school costs?

would be 7k cheaper annually

I agree with @happy1 . Unless you are in an approved 5 year program, most schools that meet 100% demonstrated need and provide need-based aid is only going to provide aid for 4 years. It does not matter how long you have been at the new school

1 Like

That’s been my family’s experience.

You can attend a top MBA program from anywhere, majoring in anything. You’ll need a strong and rigorous academic record, for the schools that still require or “suggest” a strong GMAT scores, and quality work experience after undergrad including a recommendation from your current boss (very important) which will speak to your contributions on the job, your relationships with colleagues, your creativity and work ethic, etc.

So put that aside for now.

The decision in front of you is whether to transfer to BU or stay at U Mass. Do you want to spend half your job interviews, and half your grad school applications explaining two consecutive transfers (if you are successful doing so?) probably not. So make a decision based on what’s at hand- BU, U Mass.

If you are a strong student, solid work ethic and initiative, someone who seeks out opportunities, you can be successful from both. Neither is a “feeder” to MBB, but there are other career paths and even other consulting firms. And nobody can predict what the job market will look like in three years. Who knew that top firms would be delaying start dates in the summer of 2023 when the last five years were so frenzied with hiring?

So don’t try and predict or time the labor markets. Work hard. Learn stuff. Stretch yourself academically.

1 Like

@TomSrOfBoston can you comment about UMass Boston as a continuing option for this student?

continuing as in graduating from there?

Although I agree that almost anything is possible from anywhere, some places simply just make it easier. For instance, liberal arts schools tend to have smaller class sizes meaning you can build much better relationships with professors. I am merely looking for a place where I relate to other students and enjoy my time at University.

My opinion…this is an internal issue…something you can resolve anywhere. There are large groups of students at colleges. Sometimes you have to stretch to find your tribe.

I’m not sure what your plans are if you attend BU. Do you plan to still commute…or will you live on the BU campus.