Applying for university studies early then engineering?

<p>I'm really hoping I get into Virginia Tech, and I'm pretty sure i'd get into university studies, but I'm not so sure if it would be possible for me to get into the engineering program. Does anyone know if you can apply early decision into university studies, then apply regular decision into the engineering program? Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>No there is only one application process to Engineering not matter if you do ED or RD.
I will pass on what we were told to do when applying for the school of design-another highly competitive major; go for eng if you really want it. If admissions feels you don’t make the cut for eng but you are still strong enough for university studies you will be admitted there. At that point you can start with university studies and then try to transfer in to eng but that is a harder route-but is done all the time.</p>

<p>What ever LynnVB said is correct. If the college of engineering does not admit you, they place you in university studies if you can be admitted there.</p>

<p>That is the route I took. I applied Engineering; was placed in University Studies. Took a summer class before Fall 2010 at a community college. Transferred the course in. Transferred to General Engineering after my first semester. I was able to register for the ENGE 1114: Engineering Design course along with the other General Engineering majors in the Spring 2011 semester. </p>

<p>I can explain the process in more detail if you would like.</p>

<p>I also did the same thing as James2014, it may mean loading up on more credits for a semester or two or just taking a 5th year (which many do anyway). But other than that it’s not really a harder route at all. You end up taking the same courses, just not necessarily the first semester. You can still take Calc and Physics just not the ENGE courses which are a waste of time anyway.</p>

<p>For all the people here, would you mind explaining the process? And how easy is it to transfer in after freshman year? I’m currently in a pseudo-magnet school for engineering around my area, and I will have finished freshman engineering classes through this program. It is a dual enrolled program with the community college around our area, and i’d be able to go into sophomore year hitting the ground running without being behind for the engineering classes. Thanks for all the help!</p>

<p>If you don’t mind, could I possibly have the name of your school? Before I give you my answer, I would need to know absolutely that your engineering courses in high school are going to transfer in as ENGE 1024 and ENGE 1114. I can check this on the transfer database if I have the name of your school. It would also be helpful to know what you are planning to major in. If you are planning on Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or Computer Engineering and you are transferring in ENGE 1114, you will have to take ENGE 1104 which is specifically for those majors.</p>

<p>Let’s say that both courses do transfer, but you are admitted as University Studies instead of Engineering. It will be INCREDIBLY simple for you. As you will already the first semester restricted Engineering course, ENGE 1024, you will schedule all of the other classes the GE students are taking. In all actuality, you will be somewhat ahead of them since you will already have had the restricted course. </p>

<p>During the fall semester, do your best to maintain a 2.0 GPA and complete all of your courses successfully. About 3/4 through the semester, you will need to ask your adviser in University Studies for a transfer form. (I think you can also get this form online.) Fill that out and take it to the General Engineering department. When your final grades are posted, if you have at least a 2.0 GPA and credit for these courses:</p>

<p>Math 1205 - Calculus
Math 1114 - Linear Algebra
Enge 1024 - Engineering
Chem 1035 - General Chem
Chem 1045 - Chem Lab</p>

<p>You will be transferred to GE over the Winter break. Since you will have credit for ENGE 1114/1104, you won’t have to deal with the Engineering Education office when trying to add ENGE 1114/1104 to your schedule. Unfortunately I had to contact them several times since they added me to the wrong course. </p>

<p>Once you get all of those courses scheduled, continue to make good grades. Determine the department you want to transfer into whether it be Mechanical, Electrical, Computer, etc. At some point you will be asked to fill out a survey by the Engineering department. It will ask you what you want to major in. A week or so later you will receive an e-mail from GE listing times that certain majors are gathering in Torgerson Hall. I think it is required to go to this. Once you complete your fall courses, you will be transferred into your desired major and will not be behind whatsoever in the engineering curriculum.</p>

<p>Thanks so much for my reply, I have a link to the courses that I will have taken, I did not dual enroll my AP math courses, but that isn’t really a problem since I took the calc AB exam, got a 4, and am planning on taking the calc bc exam and hoping to raise my AB subscore to 5 while getting a 3+ on calc bc. </p>

<p>[Arnold</a> R. Burton Technology Center](<a href=“http://www.rcs.k12.va.us/arbtc/dualenrollment.html]Arnold”>http://www.rcs.k12.va.us/arbtc/dualenrollment.html)</p>

<p>I am only taking the Engineering courses, Engineering methods or ERG 120/124 and ERG 206. </p>

<p>If all my courses transfer, would it be a better idea for me to just apply university studies rather than engineering, considering i’d be able to get in without much worry compared to engineering? Thanks so much for your help.</p>

<p>And I’m hoping to major in Aerospace/Ocean engineering, if that makes any difference</p>

<p>I couldn’t find the college that your dual enrollment courses are through. I assumed VCCS and I went into the Transfer Database.</p>

<p>[Transfer</a> Guide VT Courses/Transferable VCCS Equivalents - EFG](<a href=“http://www.registrar.vt.edu/tranguide/2010/vccs/efg.html#Anchor-EGR-23522]Transfer”>http://www.registrar.vt.edu/tranguide/2010/vccs/efg.html#Anchor-EGR-23522)</p>

<p>From what I am seeing, the EGR 120 + 124 will count for ENGE 1024 and ENGE 1114. You will not have to take either freshman engineering course. The other class, 206, is kinda useless towards an Aerospace degree though. It transfers as ISE 2014, which is an Industrial Systems Engineering course. I googled the course at Virginia Tech and it could be useful for you if you retain the knowledge. Apparently it helps with designing projects, which I’m sure will be a big thing in Aerospace.</p>

<p>On another note, you are right: Being admitted to GE would be a complete waste for you. Aerospace doesn’t have a GPA requirement. You can be on academic suspension at Virginia Tech and as long as you have completed the requirements to transfer, they will let you. I still suggest that you apply GE, because it won’t hurt you. You will receive some important e-mails from GE that will save you a lot of time when declaring your major. If you don’t get into GE, the admissions committee will instead change your major to U.S. and see if they can admit you that way. Since you already have the General Engineering restricted courses for the first year, it won’t matter if you are admitted to US. You can just take the other classes and transfer directly from U.S. to Aerospace without even dealing with GE. </p>

<p>Just for some information: I am also planning on Aerospace Engineering. I transfer to AE after the Fall semester.</p>

<p>Excellent, the engineering school I’ve gone to has been a thorn in my side for the past 3 years and finally it pays off :smiley: Thanks for the info, it really assuaged my fears a ton. Good luck at tech next semester!</p>

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/virginia-tech/1586437-university-studies-to-engineering-upcoming-change-in-requirement.html

Hi there, I hope you are still active on this site. If you are, can you please explain the process that you went through? Did you take Engineering classes at a community college before your freshman year? If so, what classes did you take? My son also intends to enroll in Engineering at VA Tech but got admitted to University Studies. Please feel free to email me at edizon@live.com. Thank you.

@momdizon Please read the attached links carefully as there are many new requirements for transfer to GE effective with the Fall 2015 class and it is the only source of up to date information. For example, now you need to have 12 credit hrs of “index” classes (there is a list of these) completed before applying for transfer to GE. These classes must be taken at VT. Classes taken at a cc or AP credit do NOT count towards these 12. This is a very big difference from past years as many could complete the “core” Engr classes through AP credit or a cc and apply for transfer soon after arriving to VT. Also, there is now min 3.0 GPA requirement in the index classes for transfers which either did not exist previously or has been increased. Based on the new requirements, it will be more difficult to graduate in 8 semesters and it will also be more competitive to transfer to GE from other majors.

http://www.enge.vt.edu/undergraduate/undergraduate-changing-majors/undergrad-into-engineering.html
http://www.enge.vt.edu/_files/undergraduate/pdf_COM_Requirements_Policies.pdf
http://www.enge.vt.edu/_files/undergraduate/pdf_IntoEngineeringFlowChart.pdf

@bboop42.Thank you. I came across this information on the VA Tech University Studies FAQs too. My worries increased significantly, of course, when I read it. My son got admitted to George Mason University too (Computer Science Honors Program) and I wish I can convince him to try Mason for at least a year then apply for transfer to VA Tech for Engineering rather than float around at Tech doing General Studies. This sounds like a better option for him. Our house being like 5 or 6 miles away from George Mason, his mind is already closed for this option though.

@momdizon. Yes, my son was admitted to Computer Science Honors Program at Mason as well. I think he will go that route. We spoke tonight about going into VT undeclared vs getting the major he wants at Mason. He prefers Mason with Computer Science. If something would happen to where he could not get into CS at Tech, I am not sure what he would major in. Not even IT would appeal to him.

@jughaid‌. My son said he’ll still go to Tech in spite of all these changes in the General Engineering requirements. He’s positive he can transfer to Engineering. He’s very academically incline and has good stats. Not sure why he didnt get into Engineering. He also wants to do the summer academy at Tech this July so he can get a head start by taking Engineering 1225. I cant talk him into going to George Mason or James Madison (where he got admitted to Engineering) and just transfer after a year or so.

@MomDizon‌ I think the summer academy module with ENGE1215 is only available to new incoming students with general engineering status. Maybe he meant MATH 1225 which is Calculus I

Last year, the students who applied to engineering but accepted into university studies were invited later to apply for their summer STEP program: (I am not sure if they are going to do this again this year but defiantly worth looking into…

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/virginia-tech/1639085-attending-step-14-at-virginia-tech-worthwhile.html

Good luck!

@MomDizon one other thing to keep in mind…if he starts at VT and for some reason things to do work out with Engineering and he still wants this major it is much easier to transfer to George Mason than it is to transfer to VT after one year. Also, he would get that “true” campus life experience VT has to offer.

@Navien Yes, it is Math 1225, not 1215. If they open STEP to University Studies this year (hopefully they will), we will definitely take it. I think STEP is definitely much better than Summer Academy. Even though you’re not getting any credits from the classes you’re taking, you have the chance of getting admitted to Engineering, provided you’ll do well. This will be worth his time and the money.
@bboop42‌, my son is telling me exactly the same thing. He said he wants the full college campus experience and it’s easier for him to transfer elsewhere from Tech. I have a daughter at Tech too (Sophomore) and we visited her a lot with my son so he developed a love and familiarity with the campus already.