Accepted! When should I move down?

<p>I got my acceptance letter a couple of weeks ago and being from Canada, I'm the talk of the school right now :) Pretty much no one leaves our snowy city for post secondary. I haven't sent in my enrollment deposit yet because I'm still waiting to hear from USC... However I'm about 99% sure I didn't get in. </p>

<p>Anyway..</p>

<p>I wanna get out of my hometown ASAP. How soon does the typical college student move before the beginning of their first semester? Do they let you move in sooner or do you move in on that first day of classes/the weekend before?</p>

<p>Thanks!!</p>

<p>You move in according to the first letter of your last name on either the 20th or 21st of August. They don’t let you move in earlier than the 20th.</p>

<p>Thanks so much for the response. Do you know when classes start? Is going two weeks before classes a bit too proactive (My family would just vacation there a bit in a hotel beforehand) The dates are so much more different than Canada’s. I would also just look at my info pack, but that doesn’t come for international students until we pay :frowning: And my parents are not paying until I get my rejection letters from everywhere else haha.</p>

<p>Classes start the following Monday. I don’t see any problems with going early for vacation, but you wouldn’t really be able to do anything move-in wise. Maybe get a chance to familiarize yourself with campus a bit before orientation. Just keep in mind you won’t be able to see your room or anything until the 20th.</p>

<p>Here is a link you may find helpful regarding Fall 2013 Move-In: [Move-In</a> Information | Residential Life and Housing | University of Miami](<a href=“http://www.miami.edu/sa/index.php/residential_life/on_campus/move-in_information/]Move-In”>Student Affairs I University of Miami)</p>

<p>Also, here is a link to some past, present and future academic calendars: [Academic</a> Calendars | Enrollment Management | University of Miami](<a href=“http://www.miami.edu/index.php/registrar/calendar/]Academic”>Academic Calendars | Office of the University Registrar | University of Miami)</p>

<p>Zinc, you are always very helpful but looking at your move-in link made me weepy for the first time thinking about DS leaving.</p>

<p>I think we were able to move in a day early. Just ask!
Blueflowers, your family may enjoy a visit and if you get down to Miami a week early you can do your college shopping at Bed Bath and Beyond and elsewhere before the crowds. There are many wonderful things to do. Just post as you get closer and people on this thread will give you some great ideas.</p>