Accidental Discrepancy on College Application

I was recently accepted to a very good school as a transfer. I looked back at my application and realized that there is an unintentional discrepancy.

In one of my essays, I mentioned being a member of a particular club. I was attending meetings at the time of writing, but stopped shortly after due to unforeseen circumstances. I checked my university’s records, and I am not listed as a member because I stopped participating.

I also wrote "Next semester, I will be participating in (other clubs)” I genuinely intended to do so, but stuff happened and I ended up participating in a different club instead. I forgot to mention this in my academic update.

I didn’t list these clubs as official extracurriculars, and only mentioned them in passing in my essay.

Is this a problem? Is it something I should come clean about with the admissions office, and could it jeopardize my admission?

I honestly don’t know the official answer, but I would think if anyone at the new school asked you about it, you could just explained what happened. Your essays are a snapshot in time, not a promise about what you will do in the future. Plans change and college students start and stop clubs all of the time for all sorts of reasons.

2 Likes

This is a non-issue. AOs aren’t going to check your ECs after your admit. No reason to proactively mention any changes to said ECs either.

3 Likes

That is no issue. Things change and you just substituted one activity for another. No need to even mention it.

Congrats and all best wishes at your new college.

2 Likes