Active Shooting in Lewiston, Maine (Location of Bates)

The new death count is now at 22. Unbelievably horrible.

My daughter is there. Campus is on full lockdown and many buildings have their lights out. The shootings appear to have been different parts of the city. The police believe they have identified the shooter and his car, and they think they know where he’s headed. The students are scared, but they appear to be safe.

This is horrifying. I am literally sick. I am praying for all. @Shelby_Balik I am so sorry! I hope to goodness no students were at those locations. Why???

3 Likes

Let me know if I can do anything. I’m a few minutes away.

5 Likes

Thank you both. I appreciate it. Sending thoughts to the students and to the families affected.

:broken_heart:

We need gun control.

27 Likes

Please stay safe!!! I am thinking of you and your family MaineLonghorn. I cannot imagine.

6 Likes

At least 22 dead & 60 wounded.

40 year old Robert Cardd is on the run in a 2015 or 2013 white Subaru outback.

2 Likes

A lot of Bates kids are in the third floor library which has no windows. The school paper’s editor is relaying info to the New York Times coverage.

1 Like

Deleted.( False report that shooter was caught.)

We’re getting shelter in place alerts on our phones.

SWAT team is in Lisbon, farther away than Lewiston.

1 Like

Local media Lewiston Sun Journal says that “The car police believed [suspect Robert Card] was driving, a white Subaru Outback, was found near the Lisbon boat dock on Frost Hill Avenue near Route 196”.

1 Like

If anyone sees videos of an arrest in downtown Lewiston, that was fake. He hasn’t been found yet. Police are looking in Lisbon.

2 Likes

Any Mainers have a reliable local source to recommend for updates? Twitter has become useless for this sort of thing. My condolences and thoughts to anyone affected by this

2 Likes

Try Reddit.

What an idiotic thing to say. The radio show host, I mean.

Just heard they believe the shooter is a firearms instructor. There’s police activity at the Lewiston Hospital including a police helicopter. Have has not been apprehended yet.

1 Like

I’ve heard that the activity near the hospitals (there are two hospitals, located on opposite sides of the Bates campus) is all medical – including helicopters, etc.

1 Like

Headline in my local paper:

“ Firearms instructor treated at mental health facility is person of interest in Maine shooting: cops.”

:cry: :mending_heart:

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/nation/police-say-theres-an-active-shooter-in-lewiston-maine-and-they-are-investigating-multiple-scenes/

The story in the Lewiston Sun Journal now says: