Admission Changes for HS Class of 2013

<p>Went to AggieLand Saturday today with S2. There was a very informative admissions session for Juniors, especially applicable to S2 who will likely be a review applicant.</p>

<p>General Studies will no longer be a choice on the application. Applicants who are admitted but can't be placed in their first 2 choices will receive a letter instructing them to select another major. He said basically that if you feel strongly about your major and you don't get it you should consider options besides A&M. The colleges will expand their freshmen slots to accomodate some of the kids who would have been placed in GStud. Since they are doing this there will be very few openings to kids wanting to change majors. </p>

<p>The guy emphasized that the changes are driven by the Texas legislature's desire to get the kids through college asap. One parent commented that pretty soon the kids will be required to choose a major by second grade :-(.</p>

<p>I wonder if UT is making similar changes since I remember them being very proud of their GeneralStudies equivalent when I toured there with S1?</p>

<p>I would bet since ut is also a state school also under the Texas legislature, the process of eliminating General Studies is the same.
The excess credit hours rule by Texas Ledislature is also designed to get the kids out of college, as well as the limit on Q drops (Texas Legislature allows 6 - A&M allows 3).
All designed to get kids in and out of college as quickly as possible.</p>