Admissions Questions

<p>Does university of Miami take into account the first semester grades of Senior year?
Also I go to a private catholic high school, how do they weight GPA? (Fresh, Soph, Junior, 1st semester senior)? and do they take out religion? </p>

<p>Right now my UW = 3.3 W= 3.48
After first semester it will be around UW = 3.5 and W=3.7</p>

<p>SAT between 2150-2250</p>

<p>I will have excellent Essays and taking rigorous senior year schedule</p>

<p>My grades were not great fresh/soph year because my parents were going through a divorce and I had to move homes 5 times throughout those years (I don't know if i should put this in essay?)</p>

<p>and 10 years of guitar/5 of piano
1 year football 1 year track</p>

<p>realistically what are my chances for University of Miami?
If they count senior year grades (which would CERTAINLY boost my overall GPA), should I wait til regular admission, or would it be better to apply early decision but with my worse GPA</p>

<p>thanks a lot</p>

<p>College admission committees usually only consider the main academic courses (Math, Science, English, Foreign language, ans social studies). How much will your GPA be boosted by your senior semester? If it is not much, go ahead for ED for a greater admission chance. Make sure that U of Miami is absolutely the school you love to attend and the finance can work. ED applicants usually have lower average stats but many of them are recruited athletes or those with other hooks.</p>

<p>@Bamboolong The University of Miami does not break down the transcript to only consider academic courses. The Florida publics do that- but not UM. I am an alumna of the U and have attended 2 sessions held at my child’s highly competitive private school here in Broward County. The Alumni admissions coordinator told me the following:</p>

<p>“We will consider the weighted GPA as stated on the transcript, and then we will look at the grades- and they should be all A’s and B’s.”</p>

<p>As such, OP, I think your weighted GPA is a bit low. However, don’t ever be deterred by advice given on an Internet forum. Rather, arrange a visit or at least call an admissions representative and ask how you should handle your unique situation. Try to make sure your SAT/ACT scores and nice and high- that would help. </p>

<p>Do NOT apply ED! Take a look at the U Miami acceptance stats - the acceptance rate for ED is much lower than the EA rate. You are probably hurting your chances if you apply ED. My daughter had a borderline GPA but had an awesome first semester senior year and she emailed her adm counselor a copy of her first semester senior grades. I do not know if it actually helped at all but she did get admitted EA. Good luck!</p>