Applying To Miami

<p>Hello. I'm about to enter my senior year and I am pretty sure that I want to apply to UM. Actually going will depend on the amount of scholarships I get etc. though. I am wondering though what kind of chances I will have of getting admitted though. I have:</p>

<p>A 4.2 weighted GPA
Ranked somewhere in or close to the top 10% of my class
690 Math and 640 Verbal on first SAT test
650 Math and 680 Verbal on second SAT test
30 ACT Composite score (with a 34 reading score, in case that changes anything)
No AP classes until next year when I take AP Environment. I am also taking a college course this summer though.
Almost all of my classes are honors classes.
I am applying as a legacy student (BTW, does anyone know if the contributions of the particular family to the college are also considered?)
Over 200 community service hours</p>

<p>I may be worrying too much, but I keep hearing how Miami is becoming so much harder to get into each year! Thank you!</p>

<p>Well yea its becoming harder to get into but most schools that rank similar to UM are also getting harder as well: GWU, BU, BC etc.. Its pretty customary that as the ranking of the school progresses, the selectivity obviously increases.</p>

<p>Regardless I say u have a great shot at getting in.
As far as scholarships go, I would try and raise the SAT scores just a tad bit higher to ensure u get money.
With your stats I would consider ED or EA to get more money.</p>

<p>What are ED and EA?</p>

<p>ED: early decision. it means that if u get accpeted u have to attend. they give u more admission consideration, and also more scholarship consideration.</p>

<p>EA: Early action. u apply early, telling them ur seriously interested but do not want to commit. u wanna keep ur options open. they give u more admissions consideration that Regular Decision but less scholarship consideration than Early decision.</p>

<p>Oh, I knew those but I didn't recognize the acronyms you used. Thanks!</p>

<p>I thought they gave the same scholarship consideration to ED as regular decision....I am thinking of applying but wether I attend depends on th amount of scholarship money I am able to get, but I am also applying to a few other schools so I do not want to apply ED
my stats are: SAT1 770 V, 750 M, 710 W...also took ACT with score of 34
I have good EC's, weighted GPA of 4.7....any chance of scholarsip $$??</p>

<p>Here are the stats for UM:
Applications: about 20,000
» Freshman class size: 2,000
» Average weighted GPA: 4.2
» Mid-range SAT scores: 1220-1370
» Mid-range ACT scores: 27-31
» Ranked in top 10% of HS class: 68% </p>

<p>Scholarship Requirements:</p>

<ul>
<li><p>University Scholarship
$24,000 annually
$96,000 total for four years
Top 5% class rank
A average
1400 SAT I or 32 ACT</p></li>
<li><p>Dean's Scholarship
$16,000 annually
$64,000 total for four years
Top 10% class rank
A average
1350 SAT I or 31 ACT</p></li>
<li><p>Trustee Scholarship
$11,000 annually
$44,000 total for four years
Top 10% class rank
A average
1300 SAT I or 30 ACT</p></li>
<li><p>Collegiate Scholarship
$8,000 annually
$32,000 total for four years
Top 10% class rank
A- average
1280 SAT I or 28 ACT</p></li>
</ul>

<p>These are ballpark requirements. UM looks at everything. I know ppl that got scholarships that didnt meet the SAT requirement but had the GPA, the rank, excellent essay etc....</p>

<p>ED and EA applicants generally are extremely qualified and meet these stats. UM will reward them the money. by Febuary when RD application roll in, a good deal of scholarship money has been used so less RD applicants can recieve scholarships. thats my theory. regardless for EA and ED, u get priority consideration for admission (if ur well qualified and very competetive which it seem that both of you are).</p>

<p>I was considering applying ED or EA to Miami for a while, but I am not sure exactly what happens if you get accepted under early action. Does it have a sooner deadline for a final decision to attend?</p>

<p>oo yea i think its Feb 1st to confirm enrollment. I guess its earlier cuz again many of the EA/ED applicants get scholarships. they want to know if ur gonna take their offer or if they can use that money for someone else.</p>

<p>Early Action is non binding and no risk. You do not have to confirm enrollment until May 1st.
From the school's website:</p>

<p>Early Action Applicants* </p>

<p>Fall Admission 2008</p>

<p>November 1</p>

<br>

<br>