Advice for admitted students

<p>Do not enroll at Lewis & Clark College.</p>

<p>I'm transferring this year, and could not be happier. LC is just depressing. The entire student body is divided into three groups of equal size--athletes, international students and everyone else. You will meet and hear from people who should not have passed the ninth grade in MANY of your classes. </p>

<p>I also hope you like inferiority complexes, because Portlanders seem to be aware (and will say to you) that Reed is the smart school and Lewis & Clark is the rich kid school.</p>

<p>Our most prominent alum is Monica Lewinsky. </p>

<p>You will leave LC in heavy debt (regardless of the size of your scholarship) and without a job or decent prospects for grad school (ask for stats regarding grad/professional school acceptance rates; most departments don't keep any because they're so low!!) A pretty campus is great, but LC is not worth the headache.</p>

<p>Another place you shouldn’t go if you’re going into electrical engineering - University of New Mexico. The teachers don’t teach, class organization is all askew, so even if you take a prerequisite course, there’s no guarantee that you will actually be taught what you need for the following course. I think the liberal arts college is better, but avoid if you are going into engineering. </p>

<p>shiny, I think that your statement is an extreme sweeping generalization and you just didn’t have a good time there, like some people do at every college they enroll at. L&C wasn’t for you, but that doesn’t mean it’s not for everyone. It seems you’re kind of frustrated with what you got at L&C, so this post may just to vent, but it doesn’t mean that your experience was universal. </p>

<p>So if I want to do intramural sports and also have international friends and hang out with hipsters I should go to Puget Sound?</p>

<p>I’m one of many LC students who feels this way. It’s your choice, but you’d be remiss to ignore any piece of information when making a decision about where to invest your future. </p>

<p>Well that’s very contrary to the experience of my D and her friends who recently graduated from LC. Like the person who graduated with a degree in Bio and went directly into a PhD program (must have been a tough 9th grade). She belonged to many clubs and went to watch sports (never did in HS) and cabaret acts in the coffee shop. She had an international student as a roommate for a year. College is what you make of it. If you take advantage of opportunities you will be happier.</p>

<p>A PhD where though? You can belong to clubs and watch sports at any high school. These are not things that qualify a school as good or worthwhile. I never said you would not be roommates with international students–just that they won’t interact with you. </p>

<p>Lewis & Clark just does not offer a strong enough education or prestigious enough name to justify its price tag. </p>

<p>I believe it was Stanford.</p>

Nice straw man, but that doesn’t refute anything I said.

All I can say is good luck at your future college. Obviously nothing will change your mind about L&C.