Advice for Winter Break visit

<p>We will be visiting family in Florida during winter break and I see that Miami offers holiday tours and information sessions on December 29th and 30th. Has anyone attended these?
We'd prefer to come when students are on campus, but it would be more economical to visit when we are already nearby. I also need hotel suggestions. Is it impractical to stay near the beach?</p>

<p>We always stay at the Hyatt in Coral Gables. There are hotels closer to campus, but for a family trip you would likely be wise to stay by the beach or even in a hotel in Coconut Grove .</p>

<p>It’s always best to visit a campus while in session (especially Miami since there are so many kids and things going on outdoors) but you can at least get a feel for the place. Take a walk around the lake. I love that!! See if there’s a basketball game on those dates too.</p>

<p>Have fun!!</p>

<p>The Hyatt Coral Gables is a great choice. We bid on Priceline.com and got rates of $60 the first stay and $77 the next time. </p>

<p>If you want a special place, The Biltmore is very close to campus. Though spendy, it is a grand hotel and would be even nicer during the holidays.</p>

<p>If you want a beach hotel, the Loews in South Beach is a great family hotel. There are lots of dining options on nearby Lincoln Rd (outdoor pedestrian mall within walking distance). It is about a 20-25 minute drive to campus from South Beach and not at all impractical. The hotels on Key Biscayne are another beach option in a much quieter setting. All of the Coconut Grove hotels are very nice and have lots of shops and restaurants surrounding them, but they’re not on a beach. I believe the Biltmore has a UM rate but I’m not sure about during the holidays. When you visit the campus, be sure to check out the local areas where the kids hang out, Coconut Grove and Sunset Place outdoor mall. Monty’s restaurant (the CG one) is a very popular happy hour spot with lots of atmosphere. Have a great visit.</p>

<p>I just got back from a visit and stayed at the Mayfair. Nice hotel in coconut grove near tons of places to eat and things to do. Its about a 5 minute drive to campus. I managed to get a good deal on priceline.com but wouldn’t recommend it unless you also get a great deal. Overall I’d give it a 7.5/10. Also I saw the campus when everyone was on fall break and didn’t get to talk to any students so I would recommend to try to see the campus when its really active.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the suggestions. We’re still debating whether to fly back down when the students are on campus. I know that would be better.</p>

<p>They are having an accepted students Open House on March 28. That might be a good time to go down since many high schools are closed for Easter Break that week.</p>

<p>Accepted students day is a great day to visit. You will get lots of information; March is also a nice time of year to visit Florida.
The Biltmore Hotel is by far the nicest hotel in the area - although it is a bit pricey.
It is very close to the campus, in the heart of the Gables. Beautiful area!!!</p>