Visiting Friday. Any suggestions?

<p>My daughter and I are visiting Miami on Friday. ANy suggestions about what to do, other than the tour, the admissions meeting and a meeting with someone in the department where she wants to study? Anyone recommend one day or two?</p>

<p>We did the UM tour in one day. However; we didn't get to "see" Miami and the Gables in that one day either. If you have the time, be sure and check out Sunset (south of campus on US1) and CoccoWalk (in the the Grove) as both are pretty nifty places and where a lot of students go. Shopping on the Miracle Mile is fun (not for bargin hunters however). And while on campus, weekends are a good time to catch students performing recitals in the music department, maybe catch a game at the Light (Mark Light stadium) if the Canes are at home. Make sure to eat either in the cafeteria or the UC as this will give you a true idea of how UM's food is and a chance to visit with students. Spend some time at the Rat. Just stroll around campus. I think you get a much more true idea of the school when your doing your own investigation vs. being on the tour. If your daughter decides she likes UM....a trip to "All Canes" just south of campus on Ponce is a must. (Small store-front you have to look close.) All kinds of "Cane" apparel and gifts at very reasonable prices.</p>

<p>Be sure to do a drive thru of coral gables. It's a wonderful neighborhood. Take a peek at the Venetian Pool... awesome! If you have time, your daughter will probably enjoy seeing South Beach. When my son saw it, he was in awe! Miami quickly jumped to the top of his college list! I didn't have the heart to tell him that as a college student, he probably won't be able to afford to go out there very often.</p>

<p>All good suggestions so far. I would also recommend a drive out to Key Biscayne, just beautiful. This is the the beach that the "Hurry Canes" shuttle takes the kids to on the weekends. I'm sure Admissions can tell you where on KB the shuttle goes. Have a great trip. UM is just beautiful.</p>

<p>Thanks! We can't wait.</p>