Affirmative Action: Unfair Advantage or Deserved Provision?

<p>^ Agreed.</p>

<p>This thread is going absolutely nowhere.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>MarinebioSax is starting to get embarrassed here (and I can hardly blame him/her). Of all the reasons to argue for AA, this is the most harmful. </p>

<p>

</p>

<p>News for you – not every person is against you in the world, and not every non-black is racist (shock, shock). In fact, you may be your own worst enemy.</p>

<p>Loveispeac3 said that. </p>

<p>Not marine.</p>

<p>CPU, I understand. What I implied is that even mariobiosax was getting embarrassed by the arguments presented.</p>

<p>Oh I see. </p>

<p>Haha. I need to get off of CC.</p>

<p>

Your first point is true. Black admittance would fall by around 2/3, and hispanic admittance by around 1/2. </p>

<p>But the problem is, you assume that minorities will not be successful unless there is affirmative action. NOT TRUE. Who’s to say that Obama wouldn’t have been able to get into the schools he did because of affirmative action? Nobody knows that. But of course, people start doubting his, and other minorities’ accomplishments, because AA is always on the back of their mind.</p>

<p>

Nice pity party. Stop feeling sorry about yourself for being black jeez. Just because you’re black doesn’t mean your life sucks.</p>

<p>

Excellent idea.</p>

<p>@Nuclear: But what if Obama did get into these schools because of AA? Look how much he has accomplished as a result. And if you want to say that his accomplishments are questionable, that’s fine. However, him being president of the United States alone is a huge step for blacks. So perhaps… AA was stepping stone to his future and without it he wouldn’t be where is today.</p>

<p>Of course neither of us know for sure whether this is true or not. But you argued one point so I felt the need to shed light on the other.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Aglages,grow up! Your childish bickering, name-calling and bullying are completely useless and serve no purpose.You make yourself and your race look bad. You embody the racism that spawned AA in the first place. Note to you, if you didn’t get into a prestigious university it was not because of AA, but because you were ** NOT GOOD ENOUGH.**
I suggest you get off of this board. Now.</p>

<p>

I think I’ll stick around to limit your racist whining. Try to get a clue.</p>

<p>@Kali22 bringing Obama into this is not helping to justify AA. yes being the first black president is a big deal. but race should not be part of how you judge him. also, his accomplishments are far from impressive. he suck at foreign policy. he basically tried to “be friends” with our enemies by throwing our allies under the bus. he pretty much gave China an advantage with all the debt his policies accumulated. he said he would bring the soldiers home but he didn’t even though he could (the dem controlled all 3 parts of the gov for the first 2 years so they pretty much could do anything). as for the whole budget shutdown situation now, we wouldn’t have this problem if his party had passed the budget for this year last year like they are suppose to. He lacks leadership. as for economics, it’s too soon to comment. basically the US lost the respect of our allies and lost the fear of our enemies. China is laughing at the US right now.</p>

<p>

Sounds as though even your friends think you don’t deserve to get into your “likely” schools…and they have gone to school with you. What do you expect people that aren’t your friends to think about why a top school would admit you? Although we may agree on “hating” AA, only one of us is still willing to use it…and then complain about how others perceive them.</p>

<p>

1. That’s a hypothetical and not a valid argument
  2. I never said his accomplishments are questionable</p>

<p>Seriously, people need to stop being in awe of Obama just cause he’s black. Start focusing on the person not the race.</p>

<p>He’s Barack Obama, not Black Barack Obama.</p>

<p>@pizza: I’m sorry that you misunderstood my point. I didn’t bring Obama into this in the first place, nor to justify AA, I was responding to Nuclear because I thought wasn’t fair to argue one hypothetical aspect without considering another. Furthermore, I’m not here to talk politics and I don’t judge his decisions based on race. I did say that you may call into question his accomplishments and I’m not going to affirm or deny your claims. However, I do stand by my statement that his presidency ALONE is a huge step for African Americans. That’s all I’m trying to say.</p>

<p>I’m sorry if this comes on a bit strong but I just don’t want to be misunderstood.</p>

<p>Even if colleges do away with AA, this is America. Diversity is all around. Colleges are supposed to prepare us for living in the real world, not the sheltered ones a large percentage of kids have lived in. </p>

<p>It’s more attractive for a college to have diversity. Colleges want money. If less people apply, they lose money. All of the schools on my kist have at least 5% AA population. And they are mainly smaller schools (the ones I’m really interested in, like Smith) so I will be able to mingle with all kinds of races, but have a support system of my own.</p>

<p>EDIT: you have to look at Obama in some light of his race. Think of the people who voted against him BECAUSE of that. At the speeches, McCain’s supporters boo-ed Obama. Obama’s supporters didn’t do that(a few did, but it wasn’t ubiquitous like at McCain’s). McCain’s supports were a homogenous mix of whites. At obama’s speech, there wasn’t a majority race. All people were there.</p>

<p>I’m talking about the speeches on election night.</p>

<p>@Nuclear: Your post that I responded to did a lot of assuming and I did exactly the same. I’m not arguing for or against AA, I was just bothered by the one sided view of your post. </p>

<p>I mean’t that If… you were to call his accomplishments questionable. Sorry.</p>

<p>And I don’t want to say “it’s a black thing,” but If you were African American, and not all African Americans might agree, you might understand its significance on a deeper level. As much as it may bother some people, such as yourself, I will continue to be in awe of him and how he’s affected our nation. If you don’t agree, that’s fine. I respect your opinion and I ask that you respect mine.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Agreed. However, all blacks aren’t alike any more than all non-blacks. Diversity in terms of geographical region, socio-economic background, and so forth is what the aim should be. Being chosen because one is black is no different than being chosen because one is not black.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>And the opposite is true, as well. Comparing only a small number of rallies against each other is not sufficient enough to say that McCain’s supporters were ruder than Obama supporters. </p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Let’s take an honest assessment. How many voted for Obama voted for him because of his race? He’s extremely charismatic, diplomatic, and a great speaker. But his experience for President of the United States was nothing compared to most people who have run for the office in the past few decades. A lot of younger voters, who normally would never vote, turned out in record numbers.</p>

<p>I wasn’t saying that all Obama supporters are the nicest people in the world. </p>

<p>But even so, yes, many people DID vote for Obama because of his race. If he was a republican, not as many younger people would have voted for him, or just the people in general. The AA population (and other minority groups) are largely Dem. Reps don’t fight for the same things for lower socioeconomic peoples like Dems do. They’re pro-higher class. </p>

<p>Also, when I speak for diversity, I don’t just mean AAs, which is what most people on CC think about.</p>

<p>Oh my gosh! Like really, seriously why must you guys argue about every single thing that I say. I’m stating my opinion. Just cause you don’t agree, it doesn’t mean you should just make up a random fact to say that I am wrong. Grow up.</p>

<p>And for you guys to say I think the world is against me is wrong. I don’t. I’m just stating facts. </p>

<p>And no I do not feel sorry for being black at all. I am black and proud. i have no shame in what I am or who I will be. So, Nuclear, you can just grow the hell up and stop trying to criticize what I am saying. You, just sound stupid arguing for no sake of arguing. </p>

<p>Your not even arguing for a side anymore, you guys are just dissecting what a person says and then just try(key word TRY) to destroy them when your just unhappy with your pathetic life. Don’t try to say to me that I am mad for being black when your probably unhappy with your race sweet heart. </p>

<p>But any way.
I am arguing that AA has its perks and or just really doesnt affect people at all. So dont try to put down my opinion cause yours doesn’t even make any sense and has no grounds for an argument.</p>

<p>so saying that, I just want to say this.</p>

<p>Just because some one doesn’t agree with you, there is no point for you to just disect what they say and try to make them look stupid because it just makes you look ignorant and pathetic…</p>

<p>=)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I guess I don’t fully understand, and you are completely right in that regard. The only similar experience I can draw on I guess is with Gary Locke being the first Asian American governor, then appointed as the US Secretary of Commerce. But I didn’t think of it as a huge step for me or my race really. I don’t know it might be different with African Americans and Obama (he’s still only half black though?), but you do have a good point there.</p>