Affirmative Action: Unfair Advantage or Deserved Provision?

<p>That’s not what I was saying. It just so happens in cultures that don’t have available education for everyone that they appreciate it more. But the universal American way of thinking is to take everything for granted. Somewhere along the line, we went from being proud of who we were, fighting for our rights to be treated as humans, to not caring about education, sitting on our asses all day, and then complain about our situation. </p>

<p>Obviously I’m speaking as a whole, because I think that anybody on CC that isn’t ■■■■■■■■ cares about their education, and many blacks do. It’s not a universal thinking though.</p>

<p>

Oh, here’s a thought: Maybe they excel in the United States because here they weren’t beaten, lynched, shot, beheaded, or denied their rights? “Get real”.
Sounds like someone needs to pull that stick out of their uppity ass.</p>

<p>Many blacks went to England and other parts of Europe to study. Why? England abolished slavery a LONG time before America did, and they didn’t discriminate against us (obviously people were still racist, but to a much smaller degree versus what marine described above)</p>

<p>@aglages: In attempting to prove your point, you just proved mine. Prime example.</p>

<p>StarryEyes: If you needed my post to re-affirm your victim mentality…then you are very welcome.</p>

<p>Immigrants self select…The Chinese and other Asian Immigrants are not genetically superior or even care about education more than Americans on average, but generally in today’s immigration those with the most resources and drive come to America. And on a side note, studies show that African immigrants are the most educated group within our society today…</p>

<p>^ They really are. Africans are the smartest migrants, but it’s the African-Americans we have to worry about. The descendants of slaves. Honestly, in black culture being smart is favored. I’ve been made fun by a couple of my bud for being “too smart” or for acting too “white”. Blacks favor being entertaining and, athletic over being smart. It’s just the culture, just like how Asian culture smiles upon being educated, blacks frown upon it in lieu of being an athlete/entertaining. </p>

<p>I honestly don’t give a a briney shark’s decomposing last **** about AA. I could get into college without it, but it’s good to have. It helps the blacks who over came their cultural obstacles and got on the same educational level as whites/asians.</p>

<p>People don’t realize that adcoms are most likely white and theyre adults maybe even elders who still have their pre judgements from the 1900s. Even if they aren’t white, their way of thinking towards any race could hurt or help.</p>

<p>^^^
The white adcoms be keeping us down.</p>

<p>

Excellent points that evidently can’t be repudiated.</p>

<p>“Native Americans also receive a plethora of government AA and policies, and look what good it’s done for them. Their test scores are rock bottom (except for ours, of course), and their rate of alcoholism has skyrocketed.”</p>

<p>Again, these sort of statistics are misleading. They cannot tell us much about the positive or negative net effect of affirmative action as confounding factors like poverty, culture, rampant alcoholism, etc all play a significant, if not a greatly more substantial role, in the successes of Native American communities.</p>

<hr>

<p>The exact reason for why blacks fail is irrelevant to the affirmative action debate if it does not absolve the US government of its role in starting, or at least facilitating black academic failure as a negligent result of public policy. In other words, as long as black pathology, whether cultural or genetic, can be traced to the blood on white hands, I think affirmative action is in good stead. But, of course, the true challenge is in proving this assertion to be the case.</p>

<p>affirmative action helps AA in getting into college and maybe getting jobs. however, it only hurts AA in the long run because people gets a idea that because an AA works in ___, they got there because of affirmative action which lessens the qualifications. hate to say it but I have seen discrimination that result from affirmative action. I know people who when they choose which doctors/dentists/surgeons to go to, they will first go to the asians who graduated from a good medical school like harvard, duke, and emory, and they are AA themselves. so in the long run, while AA gets easier time to get into college and jobs, their “image” is lessened because of affirmative action. AA have no one to blame but themselves. its your responsibilities to take care of yourself and learn. living in Bronx might hinder that but it’s not impossible as I know people who made it out. While asians and whites complain about how affirmative action is an unfair advantage to hispanics/AA/NA, affirmative action benefits them especially in the science/health care area because everyone knows that if you are asian/white boy, its pretty tough to get into a top tier medical school, so in the long run, your degree from that school is seen as worth more. the only way to increase AA’s reputation in science/ health care arena is to get rid of affirmative action because otherwise, our degrees will always be seen as 2nd tier especially in science/health care area (of course if you graduated from the top 20 schools, it really doesn’t matter what race you are)</p>

<p>what if you got rid of AA, and the admits of minorities decreased? these admissions officers were born in the generation before us. maybe even two generations before us. they have their preconceived notions and their mentality that you can’t change. i’m not saying ALL admissions officers are racist/prejudiced, but it does happen more often than we would like to think. that’s WHY AA was implemented. because even qualified AAs weren’t being accepted.</p>

<p>do the math. how many admission officers are going to be 70 years old? most tend to be 30-60 years old this means they were BORN between 1950 and 1980. plus, admission officers tend to be very diverse. I understand that affirmative action result in higher admission rates for AA/hispanics/NA. but again, as long as affirmative action exists, our degrees will be viewed as less valuable in fields like science/math/health care/engineering/law compared to whites/asians who graduated from same college as us. those are the field where people are making $ so in the long run, we will not benefit at all from affirmative action. if affirmative action is repealed, sure admission rates will decrease but in the long run, those degrees are worth more and our image in those field increases which means, less discrimination in the future. affirmative action tries to correct the past but only we can correct the future. as long as we keep bringing the race factor into issues like employment/admission, the greater race becomes an issue.</p>

<p>being born between 1950 and 1980 is two generations before…</p>

<p>and that’s an opinion (our degrees not being viewed as valuable by employers.) just like the opinions of admissions officers. </p>

<p>if lesser minorities get into colleges, there’s no benefit.</p>

<p>it’s an issue because others make it an issue, not us. it’s in place because other had put it up as a barrier. maybe you don’t get as emotional when thinking about where your people have come from, but i, and MANY other minorities do.</p>

<p>I understand when you talk about where our people come from, but we can’t let that hinder us. we can’t keep on blaming it on society and poverty. I hate to say it but our community values athletic abilities more than brains. The % of less minorities getting into good colleges are not as drastic as most people make it seem. CA public universities got rid of affirmative action in college admission, and yes % did decrease but it is now pretty much steady. it’s not college’s fault for declining minorities. a minority with good stats is going to get in whether or not affirmative action exist. now, it might not be the top 10, but it is college. I understand that a lot of us dont want to give up the advantage when applying to college/jobs but we have to look at the long run and what it does to our reputation and value in those fields. here is a simple question you should ask yourself: would you go to a AA surgeon or a Asian surgeon who graduated from the same medical school (that is not top 20)? personally, as much as I hate to say it, and there are a lot of other AA who would do the same, I would go to the Asian one because I know that affirmative action makes it easier for AA to get into medical schools. what good is a degree or a job if people including from our community just devalues it based on race as a result of affirmative action</p>

<p>i’m not blaming it on anyone. and yes, i do agree that it’s sad that our community glorifies being an athlete/rapper more than being intelligent. and actually, i’d go to the doctor who had the best reputation. i’d ask around and see how good he/she was before i went. i don’t care what color he/she is. guess what? he/she GRADUATED. no matter if they “deserved” to be there or not. in getting rid of AA, then colleges should get rid of athletic recruits because athletes usually have way lower stats, and colleges make it easy for them to not fail out of school.</p>

<p>This thread is gay.</p>

<p>for the question, I meant if everything (gpa, rep, ect) was the same which you would go to. you realize that grad school put pressures on professors so that there are at least a minimum amount of minorities graduating which makes the school look less bad. athletic abilities is a skill and can be gained/lost (like legacies) but race can’t be changed unless you are micheal jackson. instead of basing affirmative action on race, they should do it on economic stats which would still help many people in our community. I still hate to say it but there are a lot of AA and other people who don’t give the answer that you do. let’s face it, there will always be this stigma around AA/hispanics/NA in the science/math fields because of affirmative action. and a lot of minorities who end up graduating from med schools that is not in top 20 (if you graduate from top 20, race doesn’t really matter anymore) end up facing those stigmas as a result of it. doctors make $ by seeing patients as so do lawyers. people are still people and are judgmental. affirmative action only increases those judgments. I would love to say that everyone have equal chance in life but its not true, but affirmative action only make the long term affect worse.</p>

<p>Most people don’t care about AA.</p>