Affirmative Action: Unfair Advantage or Deserved Provision?

<p>The thing is about AA is:</p>

<p>The group that benefits the most from it is WHITE WOMEN. If you don’t believe me, look it up. </p>

<p>Second, the thing is, there’s a string corollary to economic status and race, sad to say. So it goes hand in hand. And poor whites could/do benefit as well. </p>

<p>And to the doctor question: I’m keeping my answer. The one with the best reviews. Who interacts the best with patients. Who know what they’re talking about. Etc etc etc. You’re being prejudiced just by choosing the asian because of race. </p>

<p>But, I don’t feel like arguing anymore. Peace.</p>

<p>its not about if affirmative action is right or wrong, its about the long term affect that it creates around those that receive it. stereotypes exist for a reason and while they tend to be off, there are truths in them. affirmative action can’t fix the African American community or any other minority communities if those communities don’t help themselves and change their mentality about life. lets face it, most of us who are on this site care about college and life. in many of African American community, being smart is like trying to act “white”. in most Asian communities, being not smart is a disgrace. we have to change our mentality but as long as we blame it on other people, we will never see whats wrong with ourselves and change it.</p>

<p>I will be against AA after it helps me get into college LOL but to contradict ilikepizza’s comment, employers could care less. They aren’t gonna be prejudice toward the 3.8 GPA black person and nice to the 3.8 GPA asian person. And AA is class based also, let’s not forget that.</p>

<p>"I personally believe AA is fair. This roots back to slavery, blacks were oppressed for so many years that we continue to feel the effects today. Only recently has America elected a half African American president. I never got my 40 acres and a mule,or reparation AA is the least they can do to begin to apologize for slavery. "</p>

<p>i believe in affirmative action as it works for people who have not had the same opportunities. HOWEVER, my family was not in america for any sort of slavery, so don’t act as though I have to apologize for that. a lot of my friends who benefit from it come from families that are much wealthier than mine, and have had more opportunities than me- and are at THE SAME SCHOOL. I think aa is unfair in that way. Where’s the action to help children of first generation immigrants? Yeah, my parents went to school, but they had to fight tooth and nail to do it.</p>

<p>there are things in the admission process as well as the government to help immigrant first generation children.</p>

<p>being a first gen is considered a “hook.”</p>

<p>EDIT: they fought tooth and nail to get in? and immigrant parents are the ONLY ones who have to work hard? that’s how you make it sound.</p>

<p>@xogenxo dont get mad… read my posts. you will benefit in the long run especially if you are going into science/math/health/engineering (that is after you graduate and all).</p>

<p>This question has came up- and, occasionally still does- at Notre Dame. When my sister was going here, there had apparently been quite a few heated exchanges revolving around the topic. Here is one of my favorite viewpoints regarding it: [</a>" + artTitle.replace(“-”,“”) + " - " + “The Observer” + " - " + “Viewpoint” + "](<a href=“http://www.ndsmcobserver.com/2.2756/debating-the-merits-of-affirmative-action-1.274060]”>http://www.ndsmcobserver.com/2.2756/debating-the-merits-of-affirmative-action-1.274060)
Oddly enough, when my sister was going here, a number of them had turned down spots at the Ivies, Stanford, and Northwestern to attend Notre Dame. Still, people simply assumed they weren’t “qualified”- whatever that means these days.</p>

<p>@cpuscientist3000
i’m not saying anything of the sort. btw I was reading the statement I quoted wrong, I thought it was speaking of the non- AA community as having to pay for slavery. I just resent overall the idea that I am somehow at fault for being a white person- which, growing up AS THE MINORITY in a county, I have come into contact with quite a lot.</p>

<p>I understand ^^
Everyone is a minority in some way depending on where they live or their profession. Male nurse. Minority. White males in Texas. Minority. Women in engineering. Minority. But it goes beyond minority in the send that “you’re the only one/ few around you.” ethnically minority is non white. </p>

<p>I always mention what I’m going to say, but anti AA (not saying your racist or anything, I’m not sure if youre anti either) ALWAYS ignore it. </p>

<p>The group that benefits most from AA is WHITE WOMEN. in college admissions and among other things. Most people don’t know this.</p>

<p>EDIT: it’s not fair that you’re “at fault for being white.” but you’ll get into a good school, land a good job, and be successful. Minorities are more “at fault” than whites. Even if we go to top tier schools, no one has to hire or respect us. No matter what, we’re still treated like *<strong><em>. Down south where I’ve lived/my family lives, white people still refer to black ADULTS as “boy” or “girl” and still directly address us as n</em></strong>**. You (not literally you) can’t compare discrimination for being white with discrimination for being a minority.</p>

<p>

Perhaps white women have benefited most from AA because they have succeeded when given an opportunity while other groups continue to cling to excuses and have low college graduation rates.</p>

<p>Can we please stop with the sweeping generalizations in this thread?</p>

<p>^ Agreed 10char</p>

<p>Can we please stop having AA threads? They’re all one sided and get to the point where they’re racist/ignorant. The moderators should delete them all</p>

<p>The mods are deleting some of them, especially the ones that randomly started for no apparent reason (See: cormy3) except to stir **** up.</p>

<p>well obviously i dislike the kinds of societies that still cling to racism, but doesn’t AA contribute to that? I think that if admissions were 100% race blind, people would end up where they were supposed to be.</p>

<p>Diversity is important. The world is diverse. How can sheltered people learn how to live in the real world if they are sheltered in college?</p>

<p>And people make it seem like minorities are stupid. These colleges know how rigorous their school is. They aren’t going to admit someone they think won’t be able to handle the work.</p>

<p>If white women benefit the most from affirmative action, how come people complain about “that one URM friend who got in over my one Asian friend”… but not white women?</p>

<p>Marine they’re ignorant, misinformed, and don’t want to blame themselves for being rejected.</p>

<p>I have friends who are URMs who are offended by AA…in a way it in itself is racist. why should there be lower standards for URMs? I am in no way implying that anyone is stupid. I’m saying that I know plenty of URMs who can get in by way of their grades and achievements, so why should people with lower grades than are the norm for schools be let in because they are minorities?</p>

<p>@marine</p>

<p>CPUscientist isn’t saying they do in COLLEGE admissions. In college admissions, its hardest to get in as a white female(i would know)
He’s talking about later in life(jobs, etc.)</p>