Affirmative Action/URM

<p>When I first cross-enrolled into the school nearby and entered the IB program, the students initially stereotyped me as dumb/unqualified.</p>

<p>They don’t anymore, though. If there’s any stigma like that, it only stays until you open your mouth. :/</p>

<p>I don’t think the discrimination is so great as to affect their chances in college admissions, though. I think AA should benefit those from a low ses more. That’s all! <em>^▁^</em></p>

<p>This is a very interesting thread. To be honest, if March comes and I get admitted to my reaches and my classmates do not, I do feel like they will be crying AA. Honestly, I do not really care. My classmates did not see my application, they were not sitting in on my interviews, they did not read my LoRs. All they know is my SAT score (they asked) & my main common app essay. </p>

<p>Its funny because I am pretty sure no one will say anything if a White classmate with lower stats gets in,somewhere they did not. They’ll probably just say, “maybe it was their essays”.</p>

<p>Truth is, there always has to be a scapegoat in the world of admissions. Unfortunately, that burden falls on top of those with darker skin.</p>

<p>Agreed.
I’m qualified and that’s it.</p>

<p>I’m so confident in what I have to offer to a school, with all other things equal (ceteris paribus), if I was any other race, I would have been admitted.</p>

<p>@Philo</p>

<p>I know exactly what you mean, I am a junior and currently enrolled in the IB program. Towards the end of my sophomore year and during summer school, our soon-to-be classmates would seem to wonder why we joined IB. They were surprised to see my African American friends and I were doing IB. I’m guessing they think Blacks can’t be overachievers and challenge themselves. Also I am a Nigerian-American female.</p>

<p>1: Blacks aren’t innocent scapegoats. They are getting an unfair advantage. There are these things called statistics. I went to parchment.com, a site that solely uses statistics. I switched my race from Asian to African American, and my chances at Harvard went from 15% to 50%. Blacks are can be the most racist race. Many, but not all, all like to blame every other race for their failures, and then want to be given an upperhand. Then when they make it to the top they say, “Oh, it was totally fair…”
2: I don’t care if one comes from an underprivelidged background. I know tons of smart kids from bad backgrounds. If a rich kid gets a better score, he shouldn’t be penalized, it’s simple justice.
3:If you notice, all the admissions people are usually white women, this is because white women are more likely to discriminate against Asian and White Males.
4:Look at the statistics for the UCs, and tell me that Asians are not the smartest. When they stopped considering race, 57% of the blacks that were accepted the previous year were lost the next year.
5:I’m not saying Asians are naturally smarter, just that statistically they are, probably for cultural reasons.</p>

<p>Are you actually serious? All I’ve SEEN on CC are Asians blaming everyone else and their damn mothers for them not gaining entry into top schools.
Look at ANY decision thread for top schools. There will always be at least one Asian complaining about AA, white people, or both. For you to generalize that WE play the victim most in the face of this?
Bull.
Secondly, how are we the “most” racist? You’ve stated that, should AA be removed, the number of blacks at top schools would drastically decrease whilst the numbers of Asians would increase across the ENTIRE board. You’re implying that you adhere to the beliefs that blacks aren’t qualified and that Asians are a “model minority.” Stating Asians are smarter or deserve entry more than anyone else smacks of racist feelings, just fyi. This, honestly, is BS.
You think it’s my fault or any other black person’s fault that Asian apps appear to adcoms as cookie cutter? You’re mad because top schools perhaps see Asians as bland grinds with nothing to offer for diversity. You’re bitter because Asians aren’t admitted solely on stats and you blame blacks for “taking” spots. You fail to see that Asians comprise 20%+ of many top schools whilst blacks do not occupy such a high percentage.
Way to assume the majority of black people gaining entry aren’t deserving or qualified. I don’t see you bashing whites, Jews, legacies, women, kids from rural areas, or athletes for any admin boosts they might receive . No. You approach a black thread to bash blacks, to bash a people who comprise a measly 5-10% of top schools, to blame them for your shortcomings. ■■■■. </p>

<p>Finally, taking into account a poor kid’s SES is not penalizing the rich student. Once more, poor kids, like myself, must still be QUALIFIED. Giving them the opportunity to be great is wonderful! They’ve often surmounted plenty more obstacles than their wealthier counterparts. Elite admissions are no longer only for the rich. Get over it.</p>

<p>Statistics have made a monkey of you @Galaxialto. But first, it’s not so much tt your stats are wrong as much as that they give no context.</p>

<p>Statistics don’t tell you about the feeder prep school vs urban public school or the benefit of a high vs middle vs low socioeconomic, taking the SAT once vs several times, going to a summer pre-college program vs none, having SAT prep tutors vs none, having an Ivy Coach vs none, having a stable family environment vs a shaky single parent home, being a 1st gen vs 2nd, 3rd or more to go to college, being a legacy vs coming from a racially discriminated with parents and grandparents denied access to college due to skin color, etc., etc. </p>

<p>This list could go on and on yet you want to make sweeping generalizations about intelligence as if an SAT score is hereditary and not part of system people game and strategize over.</p>

<p>Legacy, development admits, low SES, 1st gen, athletes and others with outstanding talents are all getting a boost in admission. The only thing the California system ensures is that students who focus the most on GPA and SAT scores get in but they are not they only thing that matters. And I’ve been looking at stats for a long time and never have I seen any evidence of an African American having 50% chance.</p>

<p>Also, Galaxialto, by your logic I’d get into all the schools I’m applying to EASILY. Shall we make a small wager that, come decision letter time, I won’t? That would just invalidate the f out of your idiot assumptions, right?</p>

<p>Please don’t let Gal bait you into a stupid debate. Not responding to him is better…seriously.</p>

<p>I’m not even sure how to respond to the asinine statements 5 posts above me who were clearly posted by someone who is an expert on black people.</p>

<p>If you’re rejected from a college or university, it will be no one’s fault but your own. It’s not the fault of the farm child from Montana, the child with parents who have donated a building to the school, the athlete who gives you a reason to cheer at sporting events, the “underprivelidged” kid who dodges bullets on his way home from school, or the black guy from 6th period English who stole your girlfriend. Your application didn’t make the final cut; put your big boy pants on and get over it. Put in a transfer application after high school, take a gap year to improve your application, or apply for graduate school if you honestly feel like you deserve to go over the “plebeians” who got admitted “over you.” The admission officers probably enjoyed your application, but they weren’t falling over themselves to have you become a part of their entering class, so you weren’t accepted. Oftentimes, admissions officers will make mistakes, but for the most part they know exactly what they’re doing. Whining and pointing fingers at other people/things you have no control over will not make an acceptance letter magically fly into your hands. Affirmative action exists; don’t rely on it, and don’t belittle the accomplishments of those who benefit from it. Present yourself in the best way possible, and let the chips fall where they may.</p>

<p>So Parchment is a completely credible source that accurately represents and takes into account all of the qualifications that each admissions counselor and university seek out in applicants? Weird because I don’t remember a section on the website where I can upload my essays and LORs for the Parchment website administrator(s) to review…</p>

<p>You do know that Asians compete within their OWN race for admission, right? So while you’re blaming every Tom, Dick, and Harry for being “cheated” out of a spot at a good university, you really should focus your attention on the people who resemble you when you’re applying anywhere. AA is such a demon, yet black acceptance rates are only 4-5 points higher than the OVERALL acceptance rates? (Refer to the JHE statistics that show representation of blacks at the top schools) </p>

<p>Your arguments are inconclusive, radiate nothing but bias, and will not disguise the fact that you are too incompetent of a human being to realize that your admission depends solely on the content and character of your application, not anyone else’s.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>^Listen to her.</p>

<p>OP, please utilize Google before making a thread like this. This topic has been discussed a ridiculous amount of times on College Confidential, and elsewhere on the internet.</p>

<p>Alexisss, you are the racist one. You are saying that Asians are seen as cookie cutters (lol), you are just trying to defend AA by denying its existence. All Asians are not robots, including me. If an Asian and a black have same stats and the Asian has .1 higher GPA, they’d take the black man. </p>

<p>You want to talk parchment.com? I switched my race from Asian to Black, and my acceptance to Harvard or MIT (Can’t remember which) went from 15% to 50%. Ultimately Asians are superior to no one because of their skin. They are superior because of their work ethics. I wouldn’t call a lazy Asian superior to a hard working black, I’d call the Black man superior. The sad truth is AA is keeping out qualified Chinese, Indians, Japanese, Pakistanis, Koreans, Vietnamese, Sri Lankans, etc.</p>

<p>And alexis, if you don’t think AA is really that big of a deal, why do so many biracial kids only go with black instead of putting both their races?</p>

<p>Also, you lack logic. You are saying, “Galax, why are you complaining, there are sooo many Asians in top schools?”</p>

<p>My answer, not enough as there rightfully should be. Again, refer to the UC example. 57%, i said fifty freakin seven percent, of blacks were out of the school the next year. That mean in the previous years about 57% of blacks who were accepted, shouldn’t have been. This is the problem with AA, it creates race warfare and prejudice towards black. You go look up AA debates though, black people are asking for discrimination by defending AA.</p>

<p>One more thing. I being Sri Lankan, I am blacker than most blacks. I barely look indian and people think i’m black all the time. Sri Lankans are MORE underrepresented than blacks, yet we are held to the same standard as other Asians. How is that fair? In my opinion it is fair, but the fact that blacks and hispanics are not held to the same standard enrages me because I have hispanic friends and basically the schools are calling them dumb, but smart enough for entry with the help of AA. When I see a black girl with a 1900 SAT getting into Harvard, and then saying they accepted her for her love of “giving back to the community,” I see that as BS, not my substantiated argument that is hard to read…</p>

<p>@Galaxialto don’t get mad. get glad.</p>