African-American High School Class of 2018

@Hamlon https://www2.howard.edu/admission/tuition
If you scroll down that page, you will see the requirements for a full ride.

@neonerudite You’d be surprised at the amount of diversity found at HBCU’s. Don’t rule them out just yet. At least talk to a couple students from various HBCU’s asking them about the diversity at their campus (or whatever makes you interested in a school.). I know for a fact the campuses are full of diversity and many international students.

Hey guys. Nigerian female in Massachusetts. Currently, my #1 college is the university of Pennsylvania with Johns Hopkins as a close second. This Summer I will be attending Girls Who Code.

I’m just going to post in this format

State: OK
Interests: Medicine, medicine, and medicine!! I also like STEM, biomedical science and learning about cultures.
Ethnicity: American Indian/ African American
Dream school: Stanford,Yale, University of Carolina at Chapel Hill

Summer Plans:
Medical research internship
Biomedical summer program
Summer School
Shadow Orthopaedic Surgeon
PIE Academy (Peek Into Engineering)
Continue working my Job
Counselor In Training at summer camp for children who have/had incarcerated parents
Medical program for native american youth interested in medicine (they pay for airfare, lodging and food. stay in the George Washington U dorms. Attend seminars, etc.)

Reposted mines in this format

State: MA
Interests: Medicine and children (want to be an OB/GYN)
Ethnicity: African American (Nigerian)
Summer Plans:
Girls who code and then a job.

State: TX
Interests: Helping others, singing, playing the cello, writing, coding, global/domestic issues, Twitter (Deray and Nathan Zed are bae!!! :x :x :x ) , Amandla Stenberg & Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Ethnicity: African-American (Nigerian) @Intelligent08 Twinning!

Summer Plans:
2-week Java problem solving course
PSAT studying
Telluride Association Sophomore Seminars (TASS)
AP Summer Homework
Reading for FUN
A Job (hopefully)
Drivers Ed

I go to a small private school in DC. Majority white. Curriculum is hard and it’s not unusual to get graduates to decent schools

Welcome to the thread @DibDab !

I attend a pretty average sized school with about 1500 kids in Georgia. About 60% white, 30%black, and 10% a mix of minorities. Looking at Notre Dame, Vanderbuilt, NYU, and UCLA for college. Just curious… is anyone doing the IB diploma program?

@msc2994 My whole district tried bringing the IB program to the local magnet school about 10 years ago and decided to discontinue it soon after because everyone who joined quit before they could graduate with an IB diploma. :))

Has anyone watched this documentary called “In 500 words or less”? It was honestly really inspiring for me to see the kid from Yonkers get into amazing schools after his mother sacrificed so much for him. As a child of immigrants, I was rooting for him the whole time. I could tell he was really smart and one wouldn’t assume that from test scores alone.

Hey guys, I’m trying to go to Harvard, going in to junior year with 4 AP’s under my belt, and taking 6 junior year (plan to finish with 17-19 in total)

@Tobster18 Welcome to the thread!

So what classes are yall taking this year? Just got my schedule and I am taking (AP)Chem,Lang,Seminar,Calc AB, US History,Physcology. Plus Spanish 2 followed by Principles of Medical Interventions and Symphonic Band.

@Tobster18 I’m taking:

Honors Orchestra
APUSH
AP Stats
Honors Choir
AP Lang
Women in STEM mentorship(H)
Pre-AP Chem
Dual Credit French 1/2 (Online)

My state counts self-studied AP exams as an Exam for Acceleration option, so I’m self-studying AP Calc BC (Originally signed up for it, but was placed in Stats due to scheduling issues) and AP Psych. I’m also taking dual credit Gov/Econ next Summer. I should have two extra electives next year and the flexibility to take more math at the community college.

@Hamlon sounds tough, hopefully we can all help encourage each other though our most important year of high school!!

Does anyone have a list of universities that actively try to support minority/low-income students? It’s hard to tell when some institutions tout economic/ethnic diversity without doing anything for new students in either category.

@Hamlon I would start with the schools in the Posse Foundation. Not sure where you are or if you qualify but that’s a good place to see which schools are actively working on diversity. Same for schools for Gates scholars. Most importantly is what are you looking for as in which specific schools, location, major, etc? Post interests and you may have more suggestions. In our case at this time DS is targeting top liberal arts colleges mostly in the Northeast with strong Arts, Film and Digital Media programs. Of course my advice above applies to PWI’s but you will receive most support from HBCU’s if you are interested.

@Hamlon I went back thru thread and saw your info. The Posse site is not loading but below is the Wiki page for partner schools. Any interest you?

What Ivies interesr you? I am in New Haven, CT and of course recommend Yale!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Posse_Scholars_school_partnerships

Juniors - In 1 year you will be starting your college apps but why not do it sooner as in now! For those of you who don’t know you can start your Common App now and it will roll over to next year. Great thing to do now while you may have some time and may be in a better state of mind. DS started his as “other student”. He has a draft essay based on current prompts but not sure if they will change.

Here is some info although dates may be off…
http://www.commonapp.org/whats-appening/college-counseling/five-things-know-about-account-rollover

@magnetnh Thank you so much for the advice and tips! The two ivies that I’m most interested in would be Cornell and Brown, but now Yale is on my mental list. My city is unfortunately not a Posse partner. I never actually looked through the list before, but it is reassuring to learn that so many schools I have been thinking about (Pomona, Tulane, University of Texas, and Vanderbilt) are partner schools. UT was pretty surprising to me though.

I knew about Common Apps rolling over, but I didn’t know the essays didn’t always change!

@Hamlon Questbridge patner schools are amazing: Pomona, Vanderbilt and Yale all are partner schools. https://www.questbridge.org/college-partners
Also Questbridge itself offers amazing programs like College Match for seniors and College Prep for juniors. You should definitely check the out.