African-American High School Class of 2018

@angelwings0137 Harvey Mudd might not be as bad because it is in a consortium with four other really diverse schools. You can take classes at Pomona, eat lunch at Scripps, study at Claremont, and stage a protest at Pitzer all in one day if you’re feeling up to it. All the schools share their cultural houses, so you would have a place to just do you outside of majority white spaces.

@Hamlon Oh wow I actually didn’t know that. Thanks!

@angelwings0137 im the same way lol, crossing all colleges off my list that dont have a sizeable black and asian population (im blasian), since diversity is smth im rlly looking for in a college.

Wow, Howard University and Google just partnered together to start a three month residency program for 3rd and 4th year CS majors.

Y’all apply to the Ron Brown Guided Pathway Support Program! I only knew about their scholarship for seniors, but they started a program for rising Juniors and Seniors. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis with the final deadline being May 31st.

Matriculate is also a great program. I applied and less than a week later received a mentor from Notre Dame. I highly recommend the program because it follows you through Senior year.

@Hamlon
I am in the Ron Brown GPS program. I was accepted last year (the first year of the program).

Only 3 of the GPS students won the ROn Brown Award

@Hamlon what are the benefits of being in the Ron Brown Guided Pathway Support Program?

@DancingwithStars You get a mentor and access to webinars and private Facebook-type group. This is directly from the website:

Exclusive Access to the GPS Workplace by Facebook Community: GPS students can receive strategic college and financial information any time of day from any place on the globe that a wifi connection can reach. Through our exclusive Workplace by Facebook platform, GPS participants can receive support in times of academic duress, connect with current students and alumni at their dream colleges, learn about last minute scholarship opportunities and have all of their college application and financial aid questions any time of day. Our Workplace by Facebook platform is a college admissions information hub, not a social site and does not interface with any personal Facebook or social media pages.
College Application Advice & Strategies: Students selected will have access to information on SAT and ACT prep, AP and IB exams, college application advice and interventions, essay-writing, mock interviews, and other resources to help them make their very best college and career choices.
Peer-to-Peer Mentoring and Leadership Developmen: Participants in the GPS program receive customized counsel from Ron Brown Scholars and Captains – African American undergraduates, graduate students and young professionals who have first-hand experience in traversing the admissions process to highly selective universities.
Financial Aid Guidance: Information about how to navigate the financial aid process, including school-specific financial aid advice, information about scholarships and guidance on applying for grants is available to GPS students.
Frequent Financial Aid and Scholarship Reminders: GPS students receive frequent reminders about scholarship, financial aid, and college prep programs on most of their devices and communications platforms.
Professional Development: GPS students are invited to participate in the College Journey Webinar Series, intensive, hands-on monthly webinars that guide students through every step of the college application and financial aid process.

@DancingwithStars
Well, we are supposed to receive a mentor. Only about like 5-6 people ever got in contact with a mentor. We just basically connect through a facebook @ work website. I didn’t find this program too helpful, and it doesn’t raise your chances of getting the Ron Brown Scholarship. The only thing that I really enjoyed was meeting so many motivated young black individuals. And they have these video chats like every two months or so where one of the workers talk about a topic of choice.

Hi… I am Black American female going to an urban school in the City of Hartford, CT.
My school is predominately African American and Latino, with a small population of White and Asian…
Interests: Medicine, more Medicine, and a ton more MEDICINE!!! Biology as well.
Dream School: Howard University
Safety: Uconn, Hampton, Spelman, Boston U… not that much but I’m finding my way.
For my summer plans I’m pretty sure I’m going to get my drivers license, but I wanted to complete an Internship as well. There’s not that many internships where I live except for the Bank of America thing and I sadly got waitlisted… So I don’t know what to do. I just took SAT’s yesterday.

@nostalgic1 Welcome! We are also in CT. Are you considering the Hartford Promise scholarship? Be sure to look at requirements now and get ready to apply. Not sure if you can get to New Haven but Yale has many internships, some are for New Haven students, but not all. If you are interested in medicine I think UCONN has a direct admit program for a combined BS/MD with preference to CT residents. And so does Howard so start looking at application requirements. Would you consider LACs with strong science majors and med school admissions? You may not want to stay in Hartford but Trinity is a good choice. Others in CT/Mass are Wesleyan, Conn College, Amherst, Holy Cross. Finally consider all women’s colleges like Smith, Wellesley and Mount Holyoke.

Has anyone read The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas? It’s for younger readers and I got it for S18 but started reading myself and I like it. The reviews are outstanding so I recommend to those interested. Maybe a good summer read since many of you are busy finishing up strong junior year.

Hey guys, I’m an african american female who is also first gen

Location/School: I live in the Northeast and go to a very white school which is usually ok but the ignorance is painful.

Interests: I go on tumblr way more than I should, love art + animation, cartoons, creative writing, etc.
Potential Majors/cool careers: I love history and english though so I’m looking at law/IR. I’m taking a computer modeling class and love it (using solidworks and maya) so maybe something w/ that as well. There’s a lot of parental pressure to do something STEM related so we’ll see where that goes.

Colleges: WashU + Carleton are my ridiculous reaches i dream about. Thinking about applying to
MHC, Bryn Mawr, Spelman, Hampshire, + Macalester. I should probably come up with more colleges besides LACs. UMass Amherst/Lowell + UMaine are my safeties.

Just signed up for 3 subject tests for may (math ii, lit, spanish w/o listening), so let the stress begin.
Planning on lifeguarding a bunch over the summer, getting my driving lessons squared away, taking the sats again in august if I can.

Hey guys, I’m a first gen ethiopian american, live in MA. and go to a pretty white school which is usually ok but the ignorance is painful.
-Interests: I go on tumblr way more than I should, love art + animation, cartoons, writing, etc.
-Potential Majors/cool careers I love history and english though so I’m looking at law/IR. I’m taking a computer modeling class and love it (using solidworks and maya) so maybe something along those lines.
-Colleges: WashU + Carleton are my ridiculous reaches i dream about, though I’m loving Mount Holyoke and Hampshire at the moment . UMass Amherst/Lowell + UMaine are my safeties.
Just signed up for 3 subject tests for may, so let the stress begin.
-Summer plans: Lifeguarding at the Y or a local waterpark, taking the sats in June/August, driving lessons

@isthisboreal Welcome to the thread! Also, were one of your posts deleted? I got a notification for two.

If you love Carleton, you should check out Reed, Swarthmore, and Pomona. Reed has a higher acceptance rate, but it’s known to be rigorous.

Everyone please apply to Fly-in programs!!! Williams’ app opened up and Swarthmore’s will this month. Amherst, Wesleyan, Bowdoin, and Carleton apps open soon too. There are also programs for MIT, Rice, Columbia, Harvey Mudd, Pomona, Oberlin, and Reed.

https://scholarmatch.org/for-students/online-resources/fly-in/

@hamlon thanks! I was trying to edit my first post and may have deleted it and created a second one?? idk. I will definitely check out those colleges, thanks for the recs!

I just got rejected from the SAMS program and I feel so sad lol

Also hey I’ve been lurking lol I’m a Liberian junior in Richmond Virginia