African-American High School Class of 2018

I just want to tell you a little bit about my self

I am a young African American junior who is a first generation student. I get free reduced lunch ( low income). Live in San Diego CA. I wanna attend a college in CA. DREAM SCHOOL IS UCLA

EDUCATION
12th: TBD
11th: Honors Chemistry, Statistics, AVID, AP Computer Science, AP English, AP US History
10th: AP Biology, Advanced English, AP European History, Physical Education, Pre Calculus, Tech Theatre
9th: Art, Advanced English, Intermediate Algebra, Physical Education, Spanish 5-6
GPA: 10-12 Weighted : 4.00 10-12 Unweighted: 3.67

PSAT
10th grade- 890
11th grade - 1050

SAT
550- English 560- Math

ACT
Composite-21
english-18
reading-20
math-23
science-24

I NEED HELP TO IMPROVE THOSE TEST SCORES^^^^^^

Extracurricular
Interact Club ( treasurer)
TFEC (secretary)
Library (tutor)
California scholarship Federation
Honor roll
Volunteer at Hospital
Volunteer at library
TA at Sunday School
Volunteer at marathons, soup kitchens, canyon clean ups…

I started to volunteer a lot this year because nobody told me i needed to before.

Summer Programs i am doing ( junior year summer going onto senior yr)
UCSD Academic Connections
^^
might need more that are not in the month of July

My goal is to go to UCLA and UCSD and get full rides to college. I want to major in biology or chemistry and go to medical school so i can become a pediatrician.

Any tips on what programs or scholarship i should specifically apply too that meets my need? What colleges am i looking at with this information? Summer programs? College fly ins? college tours in southern California for free?INternships?? What are my safe schools?? Any information can help.

Let’s get this thread going again. Post summer plans here if you have finalized them.

S18 will be working at a Natural History Museum’s summer camp

I’ll be attending Carnegie Mellon APEA through the diversity program (full scholarship). I’m also taking online French, PE, keyboarding and as much of driver’s ed as I can.

NIH research, studying for ACT, & (hopefully) princess duties!

I will be working, doing work for MOSTEC( MIT diversity program), and trying to get ahead on college essays

summer research, SAT II studying, volunteering

essays, last minute essays, & more essays

~O)

2 weeks for diversity programs at UT Austin, mentorship position at Asia Society Center of Texas, Miami University Summer Scholars, and University of Southern California Bovard Scholars. Also spend time studying for ACT, Subject tests, and working on essays.

Still waiting on the AIM program at Kettering University. Decision out at the end of the month. If I don’t get into that, I’ll just be working and doing driving school.

MOSTEC, Girl Up TA, maybe taking a film class with my high school, prepping for college apps, chilling some, prepping for ACT.

@Intelligent08 My sis is waiting on that program too. Good luck!

Are y’all as scared as I am about applying to colleges next year? I’m going to be the first in my family (along w/ my twin sister) to have a traditional college experience in the U.S. My dad was a commuter and online student and my mom got an associate’s degree from here, but no one’s been a full-time student. I’m really thankful for my English teacher because she is using the rest of the school year to get us ready for next year by having us fill out a practice FAFSA and work on college essays.

Also, reminder that the Ron Brown GPS application is due this week!

@Hamlon what does GPS offer?

@arinuma @aspiringgirl talked about her experience a couple of posts back. It was their first year running the GPS program (I think), so there might have been some hiccups. In theory, it’s supposed to give you access to a community of scholars and mentors. Not a bad thing to put on college apps too.

My D18 got a summer biomedical research internship at the Magee Women’s Research Institute.

Just finished applying to the GPS program! My only concern is I cannot go anywhere, to a conference, meet-up, during the summer due to personal reasons. Would they care if I say no or will it hurt my chances in anyway?

@elephantayee
GPS doesn’t have any conferences, meet-ups, etc. It is solely online. Don’t be stressed about getting accepted. You most likely will. There are people with super low ACT scores and GPA. I don’t think it is that selective.

thanks :slight_smile: @aspiringgirl even if it is not that helpful, it is nice to know that I still have a bunch of people there to help me. at my school it is either very competitive or they just do not care at all. there is really no in-between.

Did your sister find out about the program yet? @Hamlon

@Intelligent08 Yeah, she wasn’t accepted. I think she is on a waiting list. She’s probably going to Mathily-er instead since it’s free.

Has anyone applied to the fly-ins yet? S is waiting until final junior transcript to apply. Which one are you thinking of? Williams WOW and Amherst DIVOH are the popular ones but any others?