Aggie Class of 2024.. advice before you hit submit on application

@4Family4 yes- as long as the sub scores meet the minimums as well, not just the total score AND be in the top quarter of your class by end of Jr year.
If you have the above, you are an academic admit and have auto admission to the university.

If you want Mays Business School, it is necessary to apply as early as possible, as seats are limited to 1000 and they do fill up.

Thank you @Thelma2. This info is encouraging. I plan to get my essays complete and apply in the next couple of weeks.

@BingeWatcher I think you are probably fine. My S18 is a President’s Endowed Scholar. He had 1550 SAT and 34 ACT but both of his writing portions were not good scores. He is the kind of writer who needs to take his time to go through the process and edit, revise. Writing a timed essay after taking a 4-hour standardized test was not conducive to his best writing, but those writing scores didn’t hurt him. He was also National Merit Commended and I think that helped him get PES along with good rank, test scores, service, and extra-curricular.

Another question from a rising senior OOS applicant hoping for Mays: Does high school course rigor affect qualifying for Academic Admit? (I have a 4.0 UW GPA, 1500 SAT (750 Math, 750 RW). My high school does not allow students to take AP classes until junior year–therefore, I have completed only two AP classes. Will this affect consideration for TAMU admission? (Besides the 2 APs and one community college class, I did not take any other honors or weighted classes)

Also, my school does not rank.

@S18D20mom your PES kid sounds VERY similar to my incoming PES Mays daughter. Question for you-we’ve received initial email about PES banquet in September (on a Saturday morning, I think in Rudder or Reed, I can’t remember which). We had to rsvp family members attending. Husband and I plan to attend. Can you tell me about the actual event? Do they do something? Receive a certificate, or what?

If this is the same ceremony my PES went to they receive a medal. They meet their scholarship sponsors at it if they have one. I honestly didn’t know families were invited to attend but we are out of state so wouldn’t have been able to anyway.

@rosegeo yes, that’s the PES ceremony I was asking about. In an email my daughter received, it asks for parents/family members to rsvp, who will be attending. We only live 70 minutes away. Thanks for the info!

@4Family4 I outlined for you what it takes to academic admit. The website also states what constitutes an academic auto admit. Nothing else is considered for admissions. TAMU received 10K more applications last year than previous year. Mays was said to be full by mid October instead of mid Nov of previous cycles. http://admissions.tamu.edu/freshman/admitted
2. Academic Admits*
You qualify for academic admission, if you:
rank in the top quarter of your graduating class on or before the application deadline, and meet test score minimums SAT: Total score of 1360 with at least 620 Math and 660 Evidence-Based Reading and Writing (EBRW)
ACT: Composite score of 30 with at least 27 English and 27 Math
satisfy the State of Texas Uniform Admission Policy, and
make sure all required documents are received by the application deadline.
This is the last admission cycle to allow for academic admits. *Beginning with applicants for Fall 2021, academic admission will no longer be available.

We were having trouble tonight with the SRAR section. Everything saved except the GPA and class rank. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

We had to get out and go back in a few times to get it to save.

@52AG82 Congrats to your daughter! Last year the event was held at REED and there was a keynote speaker. The students had nice PES medals in their seats. They did not announce the students or call them up to recognize them, probably because there were maybe 300 PES Scholars. Following the speaker, there was a reception with appetizers and the students were to meet with their donors, but unfortunately my son’s donor was not able to attend. I know that prior to the event the students had a meeting where they found out who their donors were and wrote a thank you note. Hope this is helpful.

@S18D20mom super helpful info-thanks!! Congrats to your son, as well. We stumbled on the wall of PES donors several weeks ago, when buying a laptop at the MacResource Center, lower level MSC, tucked away in a corner, opposite the MacR store. I told my daughter it’ll make for a great photo op at some point.
A medal-that’s cool!

My parents are PES sponsors. They live in Houston so they make every event with their students (they do 2 students). They even went to ring pick up for one of theirs last year. I don’t know if that’s the norm, but they love meeting their students and building a relationship with them over the 4 years. It’s amazing.

Congrats on the scholarship. It’s a great one.

@AggieMomhelp that is so cool!! Love that your parents are so invested! Hoping my daughter’s PES donors are involved like that!

That is so wonderful, @AggieMomhelp ! I hope these younger ones will follow your parents’ example and continue to support the students and the university. What great people your parents must be!

@chercheur thank you. They consider it a privilege and they are also fortunate to live soo close! I know it would be hard for long distance sponsors. There are quite a few events.

Should we project activity hours as a senior or leave it blank?

@mjette1 are you talking about the A&M application? You only list things the student has done thru end of junior year (or I guess if they did something cool this summer).

My son(class of 2022) put down senior activities that were planned. Soccer, nhs, work etc. they want to see consistently and growth in activities.