Aggie Class of 2024.. advice before you hit submit on application

I am wandering what is my son’s chance to get admission in Texas A@M Engineering?
He is top 13 percentile in his class.
SAT -1450( Math sub-score-720);
Math 2 subject test-800
GPA: Unweighted-3.66, weighted: 97.44(100 GPA scale)
AP class: Chemistry, Physics 1, Physics 2 Calculus BC,Computer science A, English Language, Psychology, Human Geography, World History, US History.
12th grade AP class: Physics C, Environmental science, Computer science principle, Government & Economics, English Literature.
He had shadow experience and Internship in Engineering companies in summer.
He took Orchestra class throughout the high school year, won lots of awards in local
and state level.
200 hr volunteer hr.
He will apply early( before October 15th).
I would really appreciate your response.

@Runu824 I’m not an expert but I don’t think he has anything to worry about. Should be a main campus admit into general engineering.

@Runu824

He is an Academic Admit to the university based on his class ranking and test scores. http://admissions.tamu.edu/freshman/admitted

As to being admitted to Engineering at College Station, based on past cycles, with his scores and calculus readiness, he will be admitted to engineering.

The October 15 early decision date is a bit arbitrary. The earlier he applies, he may receive a decision before the Oct 15 early decision deadline. For most others that are top 10% and Academic Admits, they do receive their decisions by mid December. However, every year since its implementation, both Top 10% and Academic Admits have had their decisions deferred until January. Review admits don’t receive decisions for the most part, until January - March, no matter when they applied.

Thanks for the input. What do you think about his math sub-score in SAT(720)? Is it a little bit low for Engineering? Should he try to get more by taking SAT On August or he should apply as early as possible with his current score ? He is an Asian. Does it affect the admission decision?

@Runu824 It isn’t low for getting into engineering and combined with the maths that he has, he will be fine for admission.
His race isn’t considered for admissions to the university or engineering. His ability is.

Calculus 1 and 2 weed out a lot of students from getting their first choices of major as well as staying in the program at A&M. It is a top ranked program and it is tough. The classes determine their math abilities regardless of their interests or what major they want. If he is a strong math student and math concepts come pretty easily for him, he should do fine, as long as he has good study skills. Engineering is very time consuming and procrastinators, though smart, can run into trouble. Many are not used to having to work so hard to maintain good grades.

Also, while many students do get their first/second choice major after going through the Entry To A Major process at the end of their Freshman year (if they have successfully completed general engineering curriculum) there are a good many who do not get any of their top choices. This will depends on your son. For some, an engineering school that admits direct to the major is better over the competitive process.

Thanks a lot Thelma for answering my question clearly. It will help him a lot to make his decision.

My son took the SAT twice. Does he need to submit both of them, or just the higher score one is fine ?

@Runu824 just the best score. They don’t super score so no need to submit both.

Thanks AggieMomhelp. Another question. We have unofficial transcript, which has GPA and class rank on it. The required document is Self reported academic record. So when should we ask the school to send official transcript to college, before or after applying?He already opened the application and started to filling it up. Thanks in advance.

I’m not sure when they will require official transcript. For California schools they don’t request it until you’ve been accepted and I believe you send it after graduation. Let me do some digging unless someone else can answer this quicker!!!

@runu824 only top 10% send in official transcripts to tamu.

Once admitted, and if planning to attend tamu, students will send in final official transcript.

Thanks a lot.

I want someone to evaluate my chances of getting into TAMU
Stats:
GPA: 4.47/5.0 (weighted)
ACT: 29
Major of Choice: Computer Engineering
Ec stuff: internship for software engineering. Nhs member, ping pong club member, freshman tutoring mentor, 4 years of debate, 2 years of tennis, Model United Nations 4 years, Republican club treasurer.

Chance me

Being a review applicant to the university and an engineering applicant, you will be offered only an engineering decision or PSA. Depending on the maths you have taken, you could be offered full admissions to College Station but very likely a pathway decision of Engineering at Galveston. After you complete the required first year curriculum, you transition to College Station in your major after ETAM. ETAM is a very competitive process. Another pathway is Blinn Engineering Academy at Rellis or McAllen Engineering Academy.

Review applicants to the Uni and engineering usually receive admission decisions in January-March, with the bulk in February. This, despite when they applied. There are a handful that receive decisions before January but not many. Auto and Academic admits must be placed first and then they will know how many seats are left available in College Station and start making the Galveston and pathway offers.

Any chance you could go to College Station and take the residual ACT they offer and get your score to a 30 and make academic admit? Your chances of full admissions are better. http://testing.tamu.edu/Exams/ACT

I have taken algebra 2 sophomore year, and I took precalculus and ap statistics junior year, and I am taking AP calculus AB senior year. Does that the circumstances?

@AnikethB
Due to being a review applicant, you won’t be considered for admissions until all off the Auto and Academic Admits have been evaluated and offered, or not, a spot in general engineering in College Station. Your best chance for full admissions is as an academic admit. If at all possible, retake the ACT. You need a 30, with math and english sub score of 27.

What is you ACT math subscore? If your school offers Calculus BC, that would be better to take. BC includes AB.

Review applicants are offered full admissions to college station and they are typically very competitive ones. Review admits typically are offered first year in Galveston or Blinn Engineering Academy, McAllen Engineering Academy or PSA. Not all engineering majors participate in PSA (Pathway to System Admissions)

@Thelma2 My ACT math subscore was 29. Does a 122/1129 not count as top 10% admit? I’m in Texas btw

@AnikethB that’s 10.8% I’m not sure if they will round up or down. 30 ACT would be magical.

@52AG82 yeah, my act was a 29.25

@AnikethB I’m not an expert, but based on admission stats from this past year, I’d retake ACT/SAT again, hoping to get into Automatic range. You are borderline for Top Ten% and ACT…which could go either way, out of your control.