Alabama Action Abroad 2013

<p>Every May, the University of Alabama sends students to other countries abroad doing humanitarian work as part of the Alabama Action Abroad program. In the past, the countries have included Costa Rica, Belize (and I believe) Peru. </p>

<p>The trips last anywhere from 10- 14 days and the cost for each trip is about $1700- 2000 and includes airfare, housing and meals. </p>

<p>Two years ago, there was one team sent to Costa Rica with Dr Sharp . . and this past summer, there were 2 teams – one sent to Costa Rica and the other sent to (I think) Belize.</p>

<p>Your student has to submit an application indicating interest, and then be selected as part of the 10- 14 member team. There is also a semester-long class starting the 2013 spring semester that all selected participants are required to take (ranging from 1- 3 units).</p>

<p>FYI: the deadline to apply for this spring’s teams is THIS Friday October 19th.</p>

<p>Thank you for this information. I know my daughter is very interested in this opportunity and is in the process of completing her application. She participated in Alabama Action this fall and had such a rewarding, positive experience. I will pass the contact info along to my DD.</p>

<p>My son did this last spring and LOVED it. He also became good friends with Kari…a wonderful human being. :)</p>

<p>Yes, it’s worth the money!</p>

<p>Does the class or trip count towards IHP?</p>

<p>I believe it does, since Kari is also in IHP. Have your student ask Kari just to be sure</p>

<p>what do they do on these trips?</p>

<p>I know they work with kids, and I think they also do construction - - -but Kari would know better than I would since she has gone on the past two Costa Rica trips.</p>

<p>For anyone who might be interested, just saw in the Honor’s newsletter that the deadline has been extended until this Friday, October 26.</p>

<p>I emailed Kari (who was very quick and informative with her responses) last week with several questions and was told that the focus in Ecuador will be environmental projects, the focus in Costa Rica will be teaching English, and the focus in Belize is still to be determined.</p>