Alabama University Fellows Experience (UFE)

Did anyone get email notifications that they were semi-finalists for the University of Alabama’s University Fellows Experience (UFE) yet?

Website says notification by late January but last cc threads said that emails are received sometime this week

I emailed the office and she said this upcoming week in case anybody was wondering

Let’s use this thread to share updates about the program

I was told earlier this week that we should be keeping an eye open in our Crimson tide email this weekend, 1/16 - 1/17. I’ve been checking but nothing yet. Would love to hear and be posted on other’s experiences. Good luck to all!

Good luck guys!

Good luck everyone! DS did not apply to UFE but it looks like a great program. Will be following along!

Good luck to everyone who applied! DD is hopeful for good news! :slight_smile:

Emails (at least some of them) have been sent out! :slight_smile:

Will we get an email either way or only if we have advanced to semi finalist??

Got the email that I am a Semifinalist around 2 pm cst today. Phone interviews will be Jan 25-Jan 28. No idea if they emailed the people that were not chosen as Semifinalists. About 160 get phone interviews; 60 will move on to Finalist Weekend.

Got the semi-finalist email today good luck to all of you interviews seem to be short
How many total kids are selected after the on-campus interviews?
I didn’t apply for the computer-based program, but I’ve heard it’s also very good for research. It seemed to computer-focused for me haha

My S received the UFE email today around 3pm.

Did anyone else not receive an email today?

My DD did not receive an email as of this morning. I sincerely hope that they at least send out a “thank you but no thank you” email to those who are not chosen for interviews.

I read the thread from last year or two years ago and it appears that decisions are somewhat rolling and continued to go out for a few days after the initial ones were sent. This might mean there is still hope.
@PhilaSkiMom

My DD just received her email, so there is still hope for those who haven’t heard yet! Best of luck!!

I got my semifinalist email today at 12:15 pm CST. Congrats to all!!

@mom2collegekids Do you have any idea what types of questions they ask during the phone interview? My S has his interview next week and has never had a college interview before. Thanks!

Current fellows/parents :
What exactly are they looking for in terms of the phone interview? They say it will only be 7-8 minutes long, which makes me wonder how they will be able to get a true sense of your character and make the finalist cuts.

Here is what we did (not saying its right or wrong):

1. practiced phone skills. Kids today do not talk on the phone much. Make sure phone is landline if possible for clarity.
  2. Read “top 20 college interview questions.” Google it, you’ll get a couple of versions. Play out answers to those questions in your head and on paper.
  3. Reread UFE essay. At this point, that essay was written at least 6-8 weeks ago, you probably forgot what you said, or need a refresher. Make sure you know your content of your essay. The people on the phone will have read it in detail.
  4. Pick out 3 things you’d love to have them know and figure out how to get them woven into your comments.
  5. Our DD’s interview was 8 minutes and 30 seconds. It’s short and it’s long. In this role, you need to be able to perform under pressure, the interview is a great example of that type of performance.

More and more employers are using skype and phone interviews for long-distance interviewing. All of the skills practiced in @swim4school 's post are valuable for anyone seeking any job. Substitute ‘resume’ for ‘essay’ and you get the drift.