Alternatives to a nursing major?

<p>I am currently a Junior in high-school and have, for some time, decided that I wish to pursue a major in nursing. However, I am unsure as to what path I should take after graduating high school. I was set on applying to a nursing program within a 4-year university(still deciding on where I want to apply), but after doing some research, I found out that it was not a wise choice because the majority of those who apply have some form of experience in the nursing field. I know that there are pre-requisite courses needed, but how does one know what to take? Also, when applying to a university, what do I declare as my major if I am not yet accepted into the nursing program? I am clueless in regards as to what I should do after graduating high school. It will be greatly appreciated if anyone can give a detailed response. Thank you!</p>

<p>Have you volunteered/shadowed some different healthcare professions to see what they do and talked to people who do the job(s) you think you may be interested in? Are you good at working with people? Science? Math? </p>

<p>Shadowing different people who do different jobs can be a great way to see “behind the scenes” what they do and get a better feel for whether you’d really like the field. You could volunteer in a doctor’s office or hospital to get a taste of the field as well. In a hospital setting, you might see a range of healthcare professionals and others, including social workers, occupational therapists, physical therapists, imaging technicians, nursing assistants, nurses, physician’s assistants as well as physicians and pharmacists. These are among the many different fields out there that MAY be of interest to someone who is thinking of going into a healthcare field.</p>

<p>There are a few different types of nursing programs. None require work experience, but it is helpful.</p>

<p>For a high school senior, the best option is usually a direct entry 4 year program. You do not need any work experience. As noted above, it is highly desirable to have some volunteer experience, even if it is just for a day or a few weeks. That shows you are serious about the profession and know what you are getting into. At these colleges, you are accepted as a nursing major from high school, but you don’t actually start nursing classes until your sophomore year. It is important to take as much bio as possible in high school, some chemistry, and anatomy if it is offered.</p>

<p>Another option is a 2-2 program. You complete pre-requisite college classes and then apply for competitive admission into the nursing major after a year or two of college. There is no guarantee for admission into nursing at most colleges, so you are taking your chances. At some colleges, the entry is very competitive.</p>

<p>Another option is a hospital based program. Many have disappeared, but some good ones still exist. Some are affiliated with other colleges to offer 4 year degrees. </p>

<p>A fourth option is an associate’s degree program, such as at a community college. These programs are typically are competitive for entry, unlike most other community college programs. You can take the RN test after 2 years. However, most employers prefer to hire nurses with a 4 year degree. You can get a 4 year degree later. at another college. This is usually the cheapest option.</p>

<p>There also are other health care fields, such as radiological technician, physical therapy, etc.</p>