I'm not utterly screwed, right?

<p>I've recently decided that I wanted to be a traveling nurse. I know I need to obtain an RN degree, pass the NCLEX-RN exam, and work for a minimum of one year in a hospital. I just don't know if I'm on the best route for that right now. I'm currently a senior in high school and have applied to several colleges. At the time of registration, I was unsure of what major I wanted to pursue and left it as undecided. </p>

<p>Any helpful comments/advice would be appreciated. Thanks!</p>

<p>There are a few different types of nursing programs. One involves applying directly from high school to be a nursing major. It might be too late at some schools to make that switch, if you have been accepted there as an undeclared major, but you can ask.</p>

<p>A large number of other colleges are 1 and 3 or 2 and 2 programs, where you apply to be a nursing major after completing some prerequisites. Some of those programs are very competitive for entry. Some of those programs happily accept transfers from other colleges.</p>

<p>Then there are plenty of colleges that offer RN programs for students who have a bachelors degree in another field. </p>

<p>If you can’t get into a nursing program now, I would try to take as many courses that fit into a nursing curriculum as you can, so that when you do apply, you can complete the degree in a reasonable period of time. Check prerequisites for where you might want to transfer, if that is an option. Most nursing programs also list their 4 year curriculum online - you can probably finish the same first 3 semesters of courses (or equivalents) as a biology major at most colleges.</p>

<p>If any of the schools you applied to have nursing programs, call admissions and see if you can switch now. They may be able to change your major and/ or waitlist you for fall. There may be spaces available. What part of the country are you in? How much are you willing to pay? Depending on where you applied, you might be able to do a 2+2 program or possibly transfer into a direct entry program (which can be very competitive) Let us know where you live and where you applied.</p>

<p>@charlieschm Thank you for posting! I know that acceptance into any nursing program is highly competitive so I was wondering if it would just be easier/convenient to take a break for a year (to volunteer at hospitals, nursing homes, etc.) and just apply to various schools with a direct entry nursing program next year? </p>

<p>Or would it be better to just apply for the nursing program after 1-2 years in the college I am accepted to?</p>

<p>@marybee333 Thanks for replying!</p>

<p>Good idea. I’ll give them a call and ask. I live in Minnesota. How much am I willing to pay? Not sure what you mean by that. My family is at the low end of the lower class. </p>

<p>List of colleges I applied to:

1. Harvard
  2. Princeton
  3. Yale
  4. Stanford
  5. University of California - Berkeley
  6. University of California - Los Angeles
  7. University of Chicago
  8. University of California - San Diego
  9. Boston University
  10. University of California - Irvine</p>

<p>I don’t believe it is necessary to take a year off, unless you need to do so to save up money. You can do volunteer health care work at any time, or get a part-time job in a health care field which can help your chances for admissions. You can take nursing prereqs at any college.</p>

<p>I assume most of the colleges that you listed don’t have any nursing programs. Also, many public universities on the east and west coasts are expensive to out of state students and don’t provide much aid to them. Travel costs can really add up fast, particularly during thanksgiving week when rates go up.</p>

<p>I’d send off some applications right away to some midwestern publics that are affordable, still accepting applications, and have nursing programs that accept students after one or two years of study. Some midwestern states have agreements allowing students to study in an adjacent state at lower costs. You might also find some public or private colleges with nursing programs that offer large amounts of merit aid, and might be willing to accept you in the spring after one semester of working.</p>

<p>If you are accepted at any of the above schools and can afford to go, I would not give up those opportunities to take a gap year to apply for nursing programs. UCLA nursing is direct entry program for freshman with opportunities for a few transfers in Junior year. UC Irvine is a 2+2 program, so that is a possibility for you. I would investigate some nursing programs quickly near your hometown, in case you can still apply. If you do not end up attending the schools above, if you have to take a gap year, I think your idea about working and investigating direct entry nursing programs is a good plan. Good luck!</p>

<p>UC Irvine is Direct Admit–you are able to lock in a spot with the school of Nursing Science your Freshman year. Last year they admitted 30 of 853 applicants; they also admit transfers from others majors (20 spots, 100 or so applicants last year).</p>

<p>If you get into Harvard, Princeton, Yale or Stanford, go there, and get a RN degree later.</p>

<p>The only colleges you have on your list with 4 year BSN Programs are UCLA and UC-Irvine. The only Ivy League school with a 4 year BSN Program is Penn. Columbia and I believe Yale have RN to BSN Programs.</p>

<p>I believe Mwallenmd is correct. And I don’t think it’s going to be easy or even possible to switch to the Schools of Nursing at this point. My recommendation is to look at your school choices and see which ones allow or facilitate a smooth move over to nursing whether it is through a premed type program for you to take the first few years, or something else. A premed type prep would put you in line for any number of health care careers. My friend who is an optometrist went to UPenn as an undergrad anthropology major and went back to school to go into that profession. She could have shaved off some time in the grad school had she taken some science courses as premeds are advised to take. </p>

<p>At this point, your issues are where you will be accepted and whether you can afford to go there. The UCs are highly unlikely to give you much aid. BU does not guarantee it either but if you have the numbers that make you a prospect for your first four schools listed they will probably meet your need. The top four will meet full need and you can work with them if you get into them as to how you can meet your career goals.</p>

<p>I don’t see a single safety school on the list, and even for those with perfect stats, if substantial fin aid is needed, there is nothing that is even close to guaranteed. I suggest you also look at options locally, and if this does not work out for you this year, take a gap year and apply with your goals more in direct sight. These are not the type schools ever has on the lists except as high reaches, and everyone should hav schools that are pretty much guaranteed 'Ins" and affordable.</p>

<p>I am not certain how much financial aid you will get from the California public schools, however, a school like Harvard may be affordable as they adjust tuition with family income. I agree that if you get into any one of these schools and all your financial aid is met, then attend and if you still want to be a nurse, apply for a BA/BA to BSN program after you graduate.
The other option is to take a gap year and reapply to a nursing school, however just getting into a school like Harvard is an opportunity, especially if it is affordable. Many students your age change their minds about their majors. It would be a shame to decline, and then wish you had attended if you find that you don’t like nursing. That closes the door. Getting your 4 year degree opens the door to many other possibilities- nursing, or another field altogether. I’m in favor of young people leaving doors open as you never know what will interest you in the next 4 years. That said, a student can choose to apply to a BSN program as it is a perfectly good 4 year degree for many fields as well, but you’ve applied to some great schools already, so you may end up with a wonderful educational opportunity soon.</p>

<p>You can go to any of those schools and take the standard nursing pre-reqs and transfer out into a 2 + 2 program. Or, graduate and pursue a BA/BS to BSN program and have all your pre-reqs taken care of already. </p>

<p>Look at schools who have nursing programs you are interested in and you should find a standard curriculum list.</p>

<p>Also, if you go the 2 + 2 route, many schools choose their applicants strictly by GPA so keep that in mind. They may not know or care that your first two years were at Harvard or Stanford if your GPA doesn’t make the cut.</p>

<p>No worries. I didn’t bother putting my safety school on the list since I’ve already been accepted to it. Thank you to everyone for the detailed responses. The community’s wisdom and insight has been pleasantly supportive. I suppose I’ll try looking into a 2+2 program. </p>

<p>I’ve been advised to take courses such as microbiology, anatomy, etc. in order to fulfill BSN prerequisites as soon as possible. What are your thoughts on how I should go about this (Is it recommended to take one course first, any specific majors I should be focusing on, etc.)?</p>

<p>I’m mainly interested in becoming a traveling nurse mainly due to the wages and travelling opportunities. </p>

<p>I was also thinking of maybe majoring in Economics or Statistics if I don’t qualify for nursing. Are any of these majors known to yield similar career prospects?</p>