Am I overloading my senior year?

Hi! So I am trying to plan ahead for the next school year which is senior year of high school for me (current junior in high school). Coursework wise I am planning on taking AP Gov., regular econ, AP Lit, Advanced Art II, AP Psych, some level of spanish (maybe spanish 5???), and hopefully my district’s mentorship program. I was originally thinking about taking AP Spanish but I have my district’s Seal of Biliteracy so I’m not sure if I should put the unnecessary stress of taking another AP class even though it probably wouldn’t be too hard. Does my coursework load seem like too much? Not enough?

Additionally, I am trying to get into my district’s mentorship program which is a two semester program where I shadow someone in a field of interest and do other project with them which would look great on college applications and would overall just be a great experience. Along with that program, I am going to try to work part time because college is so expensive (rip).

Does this all seem like too much or does it seem reasonable? I am planning on attending Utah Valley University which is open admissions so I wouldn’t need to apply to get in and have the possibility of getting rejected. After high school, I am planning on getting my CNA certificate through a little program, then work part time while doing my GEs in college, then applying to nursing school for a ASN degree. Thoughts?

I think since you already know where you would like to attend - Utah Valley - I would recommend you contact them and see if they can do a transcript review for you and/or give you advice about what they recommend. I don’t see a lab science on your schedule for your senior year - I would think you want to have Chem, physics and bio in HS especially when you mention nursing school.
I also imagine that your HS guidance counselor has experience with this school (I am presuming you are in Utah) and can review and offer you up better advice for this specific college. I would go there first for advice and to Utah Valley if questions remain.

3 Likes

It’s too much if it’s beyond your ability to prioritize and manage with minimal stress. Only you will know your levels.

1 Like

In addition to everything that coffeeat3 said, I would also ask them if you need a 4th year of math for nursing. Core courses should be the priority over art and psych.

4 Likes