Another! great honors college visit

<p>Thanks to momreads and her S for hosting my S Thursday. He said everyone he met in the Honors College was great and momread’s S introduced him to someone in his major who was incredibly helpful.</p>

<p>He had a great schedule on Thurs/Friday meeting with several Deans, and sitting in on an Honors Seminar and a couple of other classes. He got to partake in some Homecoming activities with the group Thurs nite and that was fun.</p>

<p>He flew down from NYC himself, connecting in Detroit and had no problems getting the shuttle in b’ham to get to campus. He dropped his bag off in Nott Hall when he arrived, picked up his schedule and was on his way. H met him Friday nite. </p>

<p>Of course this is just what I heard via phone & text so I’m sure there is a lot more.</p>

<p>Glad to hear everything went great!</p>

<p>Hi everyone - I’m a northerner and a NMSF. I got a letter today about the Presidential scholarship, and I must admit it looked quite intriguing. I am a bit nervous about going to such a big school, and I was wondering about the Honors college. What are the admissions requirements? My SATs are 680 Math, 730 CR, 800 writing, if that helps, and GPA is a 4.66 on a 5.0 scale. </p>

<p>What can you all tell me about the honors college?</p>

<p>Littledot: My husband’s first reaction, when I read your post to him was, “You’ll love the dorms!”</p>

<p>That said, the Honors College requires a 28 on the ACT or 1250 on the SAT for entrance. You already have met that requirement.</p>

<p>About 20 percent of all Alabama students belong to the HC. These students come from all over the country. More than 100 NMF are part of the current freshmen class. The HC offers many unique opportunities for its students. You can be part of the University Honors program and take seminars/classes that often have just eight or 10 students. The departmental honors classes are larger, but there is great variety – from Spanish and French to Calculus to Biology to Engineering to American Lit. </p>

<p>The international honors program allows students to study abroad in a wide range of countries and situations. For example, my son is in his second year. He will be going to Costa Rica (as a student leader) this spring for the second time. His class is a University Honors class, but also can count toward his international honors requirement. As a NM, you also receive $2000 toward your study abroad.</p>

<p>The Computer-Based Honors Program (CBH) is a research program. Very selective. My son is also part of this program. He is spending his semester researching with an econ professor. Two of his suite mates have worked in chemistry research. The University Fellows is also a very selective program that prides itself on service.</p>

<p>Speaking of service, there are plenty of opportunities for community service. You can do Alabama Action, either as a freshman when you first get to the school, or in places like Costa Rica. My son did Alabama Action his freshman year and worked on a middle school library’s decor. When he went to Costa Rica, he taught English to the BriBri tribe and built soccer fields and basketball courts. The Fellows did their project in Alabama’s Black Belt, working within schools and communities. Students can tutor in area schools, work canned food drives, organize races and go on semester break trips to Chicago, New Orleans and Atlanta to work in those communities.</p>

<p>I would suggest that you check out the Honors College page, as it does offer more information about each program.</p>

<p>Oh, and about the dorms. One of my students, when I showed them a photo of where my son lives, summarized it with on word, “Wow.” The suites are unreal. Each student has his own 10 by 10 bedroom and shares a bath with another student. There is a lovely kitchenette and common/living area. </p>

<p>BTW, where are you from?</p>

<p>Yes, you’re in for Honors…but you do have to submit an application.</p>

<p>The honors college is great. The classes are amazing. </p>

<p>The honors college classes are limited to 15 students in each class. </p>

<p>There are 4 honors programs…</p>

<p>Here’s a good thread that explains about each…</p>

<p>Honors College thread <a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/804961-honors-colleges-4-different-programs-app-process.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/804961-honors-colleges-4-different-programs-app-process.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>What state are you from?</p>