Any Decisions Yet?

<p>Has anyone decided to attend L&C next year? If so, why? What appealed to you?</p>

<p>It was a close call but my daughter decided to commit to UC Berkeley.</p>

<p>Good school. I hope you’re from CA so the cost won’t be too painful.</p>

<p>My son decided on University of Puget Sound. They offered two generous merit scholarships plus a music scholarship, while L&C just offered a music scholarship. I think it will work out for the best, as we are just 10 minutes form L&C. May have been a bit close to home. Both great schools (plus also accepted at Willamette) so it was great to have the choice.</p>

<p>Good for your son. I hope he enjoys Puget. I haven’t been to Tacoma since college.</p>

<p>Son also going to Puget Sound. Also a very close call, but Puget Sound merit scholarship made the COA $50,000 less over 4 years.</p>

<p>^ Yeep! Good deal.</p>

<p>My son had a choice between L&C, UPS, and Pitzer. He ended up choosing Pitzer. He just thought that L&C was not the best fit for him (“a little too hippie” he said)</p>

<p>^ I wonder what he would have thought about Reed? I thought it was more preppy than hippie myself.</p>

<p>He did not look at Reed because of its intensive reading focus. He had to work to overcome dyslexia, and intensive reading is not the best way that he learns.</p>

<p>(You have to realize he grew up in Texas, and considers himself liberal. “Hippie” is a matter of perspective.)</p>

<p>Similar to nepop, COA was $68k less at UPS for the four years.</p>

<p>I have posted about this elsewhere–the merit scholarship thing is a mystery to me. Son received moderate to substantial merit scholarship offers from 3 schools, zero from 3 schools with seemingly similar resources and admission competitiveness. Has a somewhat random feel.</p>

<p>I totally agree nepop. My son’s merit scholarship results were similarly random. In S1’s case, it may have been that he had one bad semester when he went through a rough patch emotionally. Some schools were willing to look past that and apparently others were not. It all worked out in the end, but it was a confusing process with seemingly arbitrary decisions. No wonder so many people appeal their awards (or lack thereof)!</p>

<p>mom2sons - my son’s close friend is a junior at Pitzer and is very happy there - however, according to him and others, Pitzer is the “hippy” school of the Claremont Colleges. My daughter and I recently visited Lewis & Clark - it definitely has a liberal and laid back feel to it, but I would not characterize it as hippy . . . and this is coming from an alum of the school with the rep of being the original hippy school, UC Santa Cruz!</p>

<p>My daughter also chose Berkeley over L&C. She really liked L&C but Berkeley’s depth of resources and active campus swayed her. Plus we are CA residents so much cheaper.</p>

<p>My son graduates from L&C this weekend – on time. He loved the school–especially its study abroad opportunities. He is double major, Spanish and International Relations. My daughter just graduating now from high school was admitted here, but chose instead to attend Cal Poly San Luis Obispo in its College of Architecture and Environmental Design. SLO and its programs are a better fit for her. L&C has been a great fit for my son–if not a hippy, then certainly very liberal and passionate about music and the Portland music scene. He did early action at L&C. He was more comfortable here than Reed or Puget Sound (both were options for him) and has made some great lifetime friends here. I suspect he will proceed on from here to post graduate studies after a year or two off to work and travel. The school has laid a good base for him. My wife and I have been strongly recommending L&C to others seeking a similar liberal arts school that offers a greal learning environment outside of California and schools “back east.”</p>

<p>Always great to hear flydad. DD2 just finished freshman year and loves it, and has been very impressed with how talented musicians at the school are. I’m in Portland now to pick her up and head home. Enjoy graduation.</p>