Any other scholorships We can apply for?

<p>Yes, S received a separate endowed scholarship through the Honors College. See complete list here: <a href=“http://honors.ua.edu/current-students/honorsscholarships/”>http://honors.ua.edu/current-students/honorsscholarships/&lt;/a&gt; </p>

<p>NOTE: The Study Abroad Scholarship Application is DUE JAN 5th, for those current students who might be interested!!!</p>

<p>^^^ Note that this scholarship was for a returning student. ^^^ I believe the question posed here is for entering freshmen. </p>

<p>All of my son’s scholarships were awarded as an entering freshman.</p>

<p>While there are some other awards that are available to incoming frosh that already have the assured Presidential, NMF, engineering, etc…there really aren’t that many. </p>

<p>There are some music, debate, art, and a few others (some requiring an audition or portfolio). And, CBH and UFE have some awards for some of their students. There are a few depts that award, but some of those are more focused on those who didn’t get the big awards…and some are only for one year and are small. </p>

<p>There are also some that were the result of special competitions…they weren’t just awarded because the school’s scholarship app was submitted. </p>

<p>Since these are more the exceptions than the rule, no one should feel slighted if they didn’t get one. I don’t want people to expect a windfall announcement, and then not get one, and then feel that they were over-looked. Most top stats students do not get anything other than the assured awards. </p>

<p>I agree @mom2collegekids However the question was

My son made numerous contacts with depts. The scholarships were not simply awarded, nor were they simply based on stats. They required applying and competing for them. UA is incredibly generous with the scholarship $$. However, students need to put in the effort to find if there are any additional opportunities. None of them are guaranteed and all of them are extremely competitive and limited in number.</p>

<p>^^^
Exactly!</p>

<p>I don’t want people thinking that:</p>

<p>1) these extra awards are plentiful and each dept is giving away many large awards. </p>

<p>2) these extra awards will magically appear in their scholarship pkg this spring (total surprise)</p>

<p>3) if they don’t get one, then Bama must not want them. </p>

<p>With few exceptions, most depts don’t have a lot of money to give away. They may only be able to give a few small awards. </p>

<p>Contact your major dept and ask if there are any competitions or other scholarships that they can apply to directly to the dept. </p>

Thanks, everyone, for all the helpful information!