Any tips for transferring into Georgetown? (Chance me)

HS stats:
GPA: 3.6/4
EC:

• Debate Team
  • Model UN
  • Yearbook club photographer and chief manager, designed + edited the yearbook
  • Theater
  • Teacher Assistant
  • Honor Society
  • volunteered food shelter
  • volunteered at my church
  • nonprofit for elders
  • full time job

Awards

• science fair (2nd place nationally)
  • president honor award
  • physics testing (1st nationally )
  • speech (2nd nationally)
  • bible studies award
  • bible memory award (3rd nationally)
  • (several small art and writing awards regionally)

I was a pretty average HS student and I wish I had worked harder but I’m using college as an opportunity to turn things around.

Current college stats (as a freshman):

Computer Science, (also taking some philosophy, religion, and government courses)
Gpa: 4.0
EC

• Comp Sci project w/ decent impact
  • volunteer
  • film club
  • screenwriting
  • international relations club

Still developing my EC list. I would love someone to point me in the right direction, I’ve done quite a bit research on the majors and minors at gt. I want to show interest in computer science and international relations. Should I just focus on showing interests in 1-2 fields? I have a lot of different interests (film, philosophy, art…etc.) I don’t want my extracurriculars to look all over the place.

34 ACT I forgot to add

Why do you need to transfer??

Did you apply to GTown as a high school senior?

I went straight to community college after HS to save money. Did not apply to any other colleges

Why Georgetown for computer science?

Will you be applying for financial aid? Gtown isn’t known for good aid for transfers.

Make sure to apply to some schools with higher acceptance rates if you are sure you want to transfer after one year.

Having 3 strong college semesters under your belt would likely result in better transfer outcomes than having just one strong semester completed at the time of the application.

Good luck.

1 Like

DC network is amazing + I’m in love with the schools Jesuit values and their STIA program (I heard it’s more competitive to apply so I thought I’d stick with CS)

Also, thank you!

2 Likes

A few comments:
– If you apply to transfer now most schools will take your HS record into account.
– If transferring to Gtown or any other Jesuit school, pay attention to the core curriculum (can be found online) and consider if you will have time to complete the core and all required classes for your major in four years
–If finances are an issue, be aware that merit aid may be harder to come by as a transfer student.

Have you run the Gtown NPC. They have need aid only.

Here is their profile - so you’re a bit low.

Yes, it seems an odd choice for CS.

It’s 111 in the Brown Open rankings - not that they’re a source but…Niche rates them higher but you never see them come up for CS. But if that’s what you want - it’s a wonderful school I’m sure.

Good luck to OP.

Transfer Student Profile | Office of Undergraduate Admissions | Georgetown University

computer science open rankings (brown.edu)

1 Like

Agree.

High school transcript and ACT required by Georgetown.

“Please note that Georgetown University prefers to receive its own Secondary School Report form.”

Most transfers were in top 10-20% of high school class

@Matchalatte1 what about recommendations by professor?

Inquire about alumni interview.

And Georgetown doesn’t even give merit aid. But at that college, need based aid isn’t at the same level as for incoming freshmen.

Where else are you thinking of applying.

Have you talked to the transfer advisor at your community college? Do this. You want to know schools that will accept your CC credits.

2 Likes

I think Georgetown has NEED based aid only…not merit.

2 Likes

I would think you would need to apply to Walsh SFS to pursue STIA. See prereq science classes for STIA.

https://stia.georgetown.edu/academics/major/

1 Like

Yeah I always do that. Transpose my thoughts. I just noticed I wrote that b4 I read your note. Thx

It’s the school I learned that at the tour - many colleges have no merit aid. Made it easy to prune my daughters long list.

Thx