Anyone being charged extra for < than 16 hours?

<p>*HY 205, CH 117, SOC 101, COM 121, PHL 202- First semester
*</p>

<p>Looks like only CH 117 will have a lab?</p>

<p>Which Philosophy class is that? </p>

<p>Did you take any AP history classes? US? Euro? World?</p>

<p>Yes, CH 117 is the only with a lab. I just saw this on DegreeWorks:
“Prerequisite: MATH 126 minimum grade of C- or MATH 145 minimum grade of C- or MATH 146 minimum grade of C- or Test PLMA with a minimum score of 440”
Since I’ll only be coming in with credit for Math 125, I suppose that I have to take CH 101/102 sequence rather than honors.</p>

<p>PHL 202= Honors Intro to Ethics</p>

<p>And does AP U.S. Govt/Pltcs count (just realized that he didn’t factor in his 5 on the AP Govt test)? Otherwise, no.</p>

<p>Edit:
Forgot that I get credit for PSC 101 for AP Govt; which allowed me to take out SOC 202 and replace it with ? ? ?</p>

<p>*“Prerequisite: MATH 126 minimum grade of C- or MATH 145 minimum grade of C- or MATH 146 minimum grade of C- or Test PLMA with a minimum score of 440”
Since I’ll only be coming in with credit for Math 125, I suppose that I have to take CH 101/102 sequence rather than honors.</p>

<p>*</p>

<p>So, are you saying that the honors version of Chem requires Cal II? Is that right? You might email the prof and ask if that’s necessary and maybe ask for an over-ride. </p>

<p>Does it say that Cal II is req’d in the undergrad catalog?</p>

<p>And does AP U.S. Govt/Pltcs count (just realized that he didn’t factor in his 5 on the AP Govt test)? Otherwise, no.</p>

<p>I think that counts as a SB credit. </p>

<p>*Edit:
Forgot that I get credit for PSC 101 for AP Govt; which allowed me to take out SOC 202 and replace it with ? ? ? *</p>

<p>Why do you need to replace Soc 202? Where is Soc 202 required? or is it just suggested as a Core for SB?</p>

<p>“Does it say that Cal II is req’d in the undergrad catalog?”</p>

<p>No, in the catalog it says that a placement in MATH 125 or higher is required (along with being in the honors college, of course.) The above prerequisite came from the Planner tab of DegreeWorks (one would think that they would coincide). I can’t believe that Cal II would be required for such a class. </p>

<p>“Why do you need to replace Soc 202? Where is Soc 202 required? or is it just suggested as a Core for SB?”</p>

<p>It was suggested as a core for SB so I chose it, but it is no longer needed now that I realized that I have the PSC 101 credit (thanks for bringing up that history classes btw). I think I’ll just replace it with SOC 470 which is far more interesting and is going toward my Gen Ed requirements also.</p>

<p>* I think I’ll just replace it with SOC 470 which is far more interesting and is going toward my Gen Ed requirements also.*</p>

<p>I don’t think you should replace it with a senior level Soc class. That could hurt your GPA. </p>

<p>i think you need to get your History or Lit series going, don’t you? Which one are you going to do?</p>

<p>Did you take AP Euro or US or World?</p>

<p>To achieve a general education while pursuing a specific concentration in a chosen field of study, each undergraduate student will construct a curriculum that includes coursework in the following areas:</p>

<p>6 semester hours of written composition (FC). </p>

<p>6 semester hours in 300- and 400-level courses, preferably in the student’s major, approved for the writing (W) designation. The (W) designation indicates that one of the conditions for a passing grade is that students write coherent, logical and carefully edited prose in a minimum of two papers, at least one of which will be graded and returned before mid-semester. All (W) designated courses are taught and graded by instructors who have at least the master’s degree and preferably are limited to an enrollment of no more than 35 students. The (W) requirement must be satisfied with courses taken on this campus. </p>

<p>6 semester hours of one of the following: </p>

<p>6 semester hours in courses that are approved for the computer (C) designation. These courses either substantially integrate the application of appropriate software or require writing computer programs. Students must make extensive use of the computer as a condition for passing the course. Courses approved for the (C) designation assume that students have a working knowledge of the computer. </p>

<p>or</p>

<p>2 semesters in one foreign language (FL). A grade of “C” or better must be earned in the first-semester course of the two-semester sequence that fulfills the requirement before the student will be allowed to enroll in the second semester course. Students with two or more high-school units of a foreign language will be assigned to foreign language courses by the foreign language advisors on the basis of placement test scores. Students placed into FR 103, SP 103, or intermediate courses (FR 201, SP 201) will satisfy this requirement in one semester.</p>

<p>Note: These 6 hours are in addition to the requirements for humanities or mathematics.</p>

<p>12 semester hours of courses approved for the humanities and fine arts (HU, L & FA) designations, to include 3 semester hours of courses approved for the fine arts (FA) designation and 3 semester hours of courses approved for the literature (L) designation. Each student must complete a 6-semester-hour sequence in either literature or history. </p>

<p>12 semester hours of courses approved for the history and social and behavioral sciences (HI & SB) designations, to include 3 semester hours of courses approved for the history (HI) designation. Each student must complete a 6-semester-hour sequence in either literature or history. </p>

<p>11 semester hours of courses approved for the natural sciences and mathematics (N & MA) designations, to include 8 semester hours of courses approved for the natural sciences (N) designation and 3 semester hours of courses approved for the mathematics (MA) designation. This mathematics requirement must be satisfied with MATH 110 or higher.
Pre-professional, major and/or elective courses applicable to the student’s declared major program of study. Students are to consult with their major departments/program areas for specific course designations that fulfill this requirement.
A course may be used to satisfy only one core requirement. For example, if a course carries a designation for both foreign language (FL) and humanities (HU), it may only be used to satisfy one of these core requirements. An additional course or courses must be completed to satisfy the remaining requirement.</p>

<p>A student may satisfy some general education course requirements by demonstration of competence on a proficiency examination such as the CLEP subject examination.</p>

<p>Review of general education (core curriculum) courses is an ongoing process. New courses may be approved and added to the list of those that meet core curriculum requirements. The Core designations for existing courses may be discontinued. A course carries general education designation if the course is approved at the time the course is taken. The student must consult the general education designations as found in the appropriate section of the schedule of classes booklet to ensure that the general education designation is in effect at the time the course is taken.</p>

<p>*“Does it say that Cal II is req’d in the undergrad catalog?”</p>

<p>========
No, in the catalog it says that a placement in MATH 125 or higher is required (along with being in the honors college, of course.) The above prerequisite came from the Planner tab of DegreeWorks (one would think that they would coincide). I can’t believe that Cal II would be required for such a class. </p>

<p>*</p>

<p>So, it only says that it Degree Works? Odd.</p>

<p>M2ck- The above courses listed, the AP credits, and two classes that I will not have room to fit into my freshman year but plan on taking 3rd semester (PHL 217 and AMS 232) will fulfill all of my Gen. Ed. requirements as shown to me on DegreeWorks. </p>

<p><a href=“https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6_AB66FsHXHOWQ5NGFkY2MtMDEyZi00NjBmLWEwMzQtZTUzMmNiY2U1ODg4[/url]”>https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6_AB66FsHXHOWQ5NGFkY2MtMDEyZi00NjBmLWEwMzQtZTUzMmNiY2U1ODg4&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I will look for an alternate to SOC 470. It seems to be a very interesting class though. </p>

<p>I did not take AP Euro, US, or World (which is why I am doing the HY 205/206 sequence).</p>

<p>Also, to answer your question that I accidentally skipped over, I am on the pre-med track.</p>

<p>AJmicro: You do not need to take all gen ed requirements right away. Take one “fun” class, if you can. Makes the semester easier. As a freshman, my son took an honors class called Alabama Action Abroad and spent 10 days in Costa Rica. He loved it, as much so that he returned as a sophomore.</p>

<p>My D is still undecided as to her major and what she wants to do with her life. She is considering a major, double major, or major and 2 minors in english, latin, and spanish.<br>
Is it possible for her to meet with an advisor to figure out the major/minor situation when we visit in April? Is it a good idea to do this then?</p>

<p>Also, if she is a member of the honors college can she take any of the honors classes listed for an English major? Or is that separate from the honors college? </p>

<p>In terms of AP Spanish credit, I am not sure if she is only taking the AP Spanish Language exam which would enable her to earn credit for SP 101. I see she’d have to take the AP Spanish Literature exam to place out of SP 102. Would she be better of taking CLEP test that I read about on another thread- although her hs requires her to take the AP Spanish test?<br>
Or, as a spanish major/minor is it better to take SP 102? </p>

<p>I think I found the link for the general ed requirements. Are they the same for all majors?
She’s taking AP lit this year and will hopefully score at least. That would take care of her freshman comp 6 hours, correct? She already scored a 5 on the AP world test. Would that take care of 6 of her 12 history and behavior science gen ed requirements? I don’t quite understand what she’d need the other 6 credit hours in. </p>

<p>She’s also taking AP latin this year. Will that help take care of any requirements? </p>

<p>I apologize for all of the questions. My older child is a pharmacy major and the curriculum is set so it’s very easy to figure out what to take. </p>

<p>Finally, she is only taking regular pre-calculus this year. Will she need to take a placement test at UA? She does need to take a math class there, correct? Any thoughts as to what would be the best/easiest for a kid who doesn’t like math? </p>

<p>If it matters, she is doing the honors college and international honors.</p>

<p>linnylu: When you visit in April, see if you can get Allison at the Honors College to arrange a meeting with your daughter and one of her possible majors’ advisers so she can learn more about the programs.</p>

<p>As for placement in Spanish, your daughter could take the foreign language placement exam. That score would put her at a level where she should be comfortable.</p>

<p>The same is true with math. Your daughter needs to take the math placement unless she has a 640 on the SAT math/29 on the ACT math and has a C or better in HS calculus.</p>

<p>*I will look for an alternate to SOC 470. It seems to be a very interesting class though. </p>

<p>I did not take AP Euro, US, or World (which is why I am doing the HY 205/206 sequence).</p>

<p>Also, to answer your question that I accidentally skipped over, I am on the pre-med track. </p>

<p>*</p>

<p>OK…you’re pre-med…then you have to protect your GPA at all costs. that means balancing each semester with some less-demanding courses. You’re taking Gen Chem…that’s a weeder course. It’s going to take a lot of your attention. </p>

<p>I’m concerned that the 400 level Soc class is going to expect a lot of prior knowledge/understanding of that subject since the students will mostly all be seniors in that major. It’s always risky for a fall frosh to take an upper division course. </p>

<p>Also, it’s not enough that a class be within the Social Behaviorial Science area, it has to have the SB designation for CORE. I’m not sure a 400 level class would have that. (see below for the SB classes with the designation…that list doesn’t include honors with SB designation)</p>

<p>Be sure that each class you’ve selected for Core actually has a Core designation. Use the link below and the tabs to check (altho honors classes won’t be listed there. The HC has a listing on its website of Core designations). </p>

<p>Also, on the far right of the course listings on MyBama, it will indicate whether that class has a Core designation.)</p>

<p>OK…I missed that you indicated that you’d be doing the History sequence. Good…that’s taken care of.</p>

<p>Momreads is right…you don’t have to do all the Core right away. Some Core can be the fun/lighter courses that can help you balance your schedule during the later years.</p>

<p>You’ve applied to the honors college, right?</p>

<p>Have you looked at any of the honors classes? Many fulfill Core and they’re very interesting. There is also a philosophy class that has an honors version, but I know that that class can be a pain to some because it’s quite hard.</p>

<hr>

<p>Linnylu</p>

<p>*Also, if she is a member of the honors college can she take any of the honors classes listed for an English major? Or is that separate from the honors college? </p>

<p>*
Yes, she can take it. Those classes aren’t part of the honors college, but an honors student can take them even if they’re not in that major. Honors kids take honors bio, chem, English, philosophy, etc…even it they’re majoring in something else. </p>

<p>That said, those honors classes DO count towards the 18 credits needed for honors. However, some (6???) have to be UHP or IHP.</p>

<p>She can meet with an advisor in April or wait til she gets her feet wet with a few classes to help decide her strengths and likes and dislikes. </p>

<p>Has she looked at the Classics major? </p>

<p>*In terms of AP Spanish credit, I am not sure if she is only taking the AP Spanish Language exam which would enable her to earn credit for SP 101. I see she’d have to take the AP Spanish Literature exam to place out of SP 102. Would she be better of taking CLEP test that I read about on another thread- although her hs requires her to take the AP Spanish test?
Or, as a spanish major/minor is it better to take SP 102? </p>

<p>*
It’s often not worth it to do a Spanish minor…might as well do the major. The Spanish minor is unique because it requires too many credits and too many upper division credits. (unlike other minors that only require 18-21 total credits which usually only 6 have to be upper)</p>

<p>Since she has to do the AP test, that’s that. But, she should also take the Placement test during BB. If she scores in the highest range, then she’ll take a 3XX class and then get the back credits for the lower courses. Or, she can do the CLEP and see how that goes.</p>

<p>Unless your D needs to have the minor/major in Spanish, she may just want to do what she wants with Spanish…get the credits…and focus on her real major and minor. My son has about 20 Spanish credits, but he’s not doing the major or minor in it because he didn’t want to take that many upper division classes and didn’t want the Spanish Lit classes. </p>

<p>*I think I found the link for the general ed requirements. Are they the same for all majors?</p>

<p>*
The Core Req’ts are the same for all except Engineering. Eng’g has its own list. </p>

<p>I copy/pasted Core in post #25 in this thread.</p>

<p>*She’s taking AP lit this year and will hopefully score at least. That would take care of her freshman comp 6 hours, correct?<br>
*</p>

<p>If she gets a 4, then that takes care of both. She might also want to take the APComp test…it’s easier than Lit and easier to get the 4 in. The class isn’t necessary at all. My younger son took the AP Comp test w/o the class and got a 5…and he’s not a great writer or anything. He just took a practice test at home and that’s all.</p>

<p>She already scored a 5 on the AP world test. Would that take care of 6 of her 12 history and behavior science gen ed requirements? I don’t quite understand what she’d need the other 6 credit hours in.</p>

<p>Yes…that takes care of 6 history and the sequence req’t. The other 6 credits can be from the honors college with the right designations or from </p>

<p>*12 semester hours of courses approved for the history and social and behavioral sciences (HI & SB) designations, to include 3 semester hours of courses approved for the history (HI) designation. Each student must complete a 6-semester-hour sequence in either literature or history. *</p>

<p>So, she needs to take 6 more credits with either HI or SB designations. There are probably some honors college courses with those designations. </p>

<p>[Core</a> Curriculum – General Studies Course Listing | The Office of the University Registrar - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://registrar.ua.edu/academics/core-curriculum/general-studies/#tab=tab-1]Core”>http://registrar.ua.edu/academics/core-curriculum/general-studies/#tab=tab-1) look at each tab</p>

<p>AAST 201 Intro to African American Studies SB
AHE 155 Freshman Seminar SB
AMS 155 Freshman Seminar SB
AMS 201 Intro to African American Studies SB
ANT 100 Introduction to Anthropology SB
ANT 102 Introduction to Cultural Anthropology SB
ANT 103 Discoveries in Archaeology SB

• ANT 155 Freshman Seminar SB
  • BUI 102 Foundation: Possibilities SB
  • CD 201 Exceptional People SB
    CE 220 Society Infrastructure & Environment SB
    COM 101 Principles of Human Communication SB
    COM 220 Interpersonal Communication SB
  • CSM 155 Freshman Seminar SB
    EC 110 Principles of Microeconomics SB
    EC 111 Principles of Macroeconomics SB
  • EC 155 Freshman Seminar SB
    GES 225 Impacts of Major Engineering Accomplishments SB
    GY 105 World Regional Geography SB
    GY 110 Principles of Human Geography SB
  • GY 155 Freshman Seminar SB
    HD 101 Life Span Human Development SB
  • HD 155 Freshman Seminar SB
  • HHE 155 Freshman Seminar SB
    HY 101 Western Civilization to 1648 HI
    HY 102 Western Civilization since 1648 HI
    HY 105 Honors Western Civilization to 1648 HI
    HY 106 Honors Western Civilization since 1648 HI
    HY 203 American Civilization to 1865 HI
    HY 204 American Civilization since 1865 HI
    HY 205 Honors American Civilization to 1865 HI
    HY 206 Honors American Civilization since 1865 HI
  • IHP 105 Culture and Human Experience SB
  • IHP 155 Honors Freshman Seminar SB
    MC 101 Mass Communication SB
    NEW 237 Social Science I - Cooperation and Conflict SB
  • NEW 238 Honors Social Science I SB
    NEW 273 Social Science I SB
    NUR 155 Freshman Seminar SB
    PSC 101 Introduction to American Politics SB
  • PSC 155 Freshman Seminar SB
    PY 101 Introduction to Psychology SB
    PY 105 Honors Intro to Psychology SB
    PY 155 Creativity SB
    SOC 101 Introduction to Sociology SB
    SOC 202 Analysis of Social Problems SB
  • SPE 100 Exceptional Lives in Society SB
    SS 121 Introduction to Social Studies SB
    SW 155 Freshman Seminar SB
    SW 200 History of Social Welfare in the United States HI
    SW 210 Family and Child Welfare SB
    SW 212 Death, Dying and Bereavement SB </p>

<p>*She’s also taking AP latin this year. Will that help take care of any requirements?
*</p>

<p>AP/IB/CLEP… [University</a> of Alabama Undergraduate Catalog 2010-12](<a href=“Page Not Found | The University of Alabama”>Page Not Found | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>Latin–Catullus–Horace …3 score minimum …LA 102… 3 credits… Core Des: FL/HU </p>

<p>Which AP Latin is she taking?</p>

<p>*Finally, she is only taking regular pre-calculus this year. Will she need to take a placement test at UA? She does need to take a math class there, correct? Any thoughts as to what would be the best/easiest for a kid who doesn’t like math? </p>

<p>*
Since she doesn’t like Math, then she should wait til she chooses her major to see if any particular math is req’d. Some majors require an easier math that will fill the Core. If she can avoid Calculus, she might as well. But, if her major requires it, then she’ll have to take it. Generally, a BS requires Cal…often a BA doesn’t.</p>

<p>Okay. I’m just trying to find classes that are interesting (which, for me at least, means that the workload won’t seem as strenuous). The SOC 470 actually applied to the Writing Requirements portion of Gen. Ed. rather than SB.</p>

<p>Speaking of, if major focused courses, count toward Gen. Ed. then I do not have to worry about the Writing Requirements because several of the classes that I will be taking for the microbiology major anyway fall under the Writing curriculum. (Which means that I will no longer take SOC 360 or SOC 470–at least right now, all things considered.)</p>

<p>^This allows me to move up two classes that I was planning to take 3rd semester (PHL 217/AMS 232). </p>

<p>This has me taking these courses 1st semester:
HY 205, SOC 101, CH 117, COM 121, PHL 202</p>

<p>And these 2nd semester:
EN 249, HY 206, PHL 217, AMS 232, CH 118</p>

<p>And yes, I do know that Gen. Ed. does not have to be completed right away, but this is how I like my academic world to be lol Not really, I just want to go ahead and get Gen. Ed. stuff out the way so that I can begin to focus on my major, minor (which I haven’t a clue what will be yet–I’m considering theatre or music), and getting prepped for the MCAT, which will be there before I know it. (Speaking of, did you know that biology majors have an overall lower composite score than any other major that takes the MCAT? Irony, indeed.) Ambition is still considered a tragic flaw in epics, right? =)</p>

<p>Yes, I have applied (and been accepted into) the honors college.
I’m not familiar with any of the honors seminars that apply toward Gen. Ed. (and would probably lessen the load). In the course class listing there are a few “Freshman Seminar” and like classes listed that I may take in lieu of other more strenuous classes as soon as I find out what they actually are. Anyone know?</p>

<p>OAN: I haven’t even begun to figure out scheduling (time slot wise) yet. I have glanced a most of them and they seem to be okay. </p>

<p>OAAN: I cannot thank you ladies enough for your help!</p>