AP Credit Transferability

hello! after my last crisis over college which i have posted here, i have finally moved on and began working on my plan to attend a university in the spring. i applied as a first time in college student because i wanted access to dorms and because coming in as a lower-division transfer can be difficult. i know that i need to take less than 12 credits to still be considered a freshman, so i have planned my current community college schedule accordingly, only taking 9 credits this fall semester.

this is where i run into a problem. i foolishly had both my ap and aice transcripts sent to this community college. i sent them a while ago and forgot, so i have just now realized that i was awarded a bunch of credits for these exams. i am now worried that when i send my transcript to my university, it would contain all these credits (which is MUCH more than 12), effectively ruining my plans. does anyone have an idea what to do? is it even worth trying anymore?

I don’t think we know which college you are going to to in the Spring…but I urge you to call them (admissions) BEFORE you start any community colleges classes to understand whether you would be considered a freshman with more than 12 credits (including your AP credits). Contact them first thing tomorrow morning.

4 Likes

I’m very confused. Three days ago, you posted this:

thank you for all of your advice! i ended up asking requesting for a semester deferral with the intent of prioritizing my mental health for this fall. if all goes well, i’ll head back to college A in the spring. if not, then i’ll push forward to college B.

And now you are talking about attending a community college? Please explain.

1 Like

i wanted to take prerequisites for my degree program at community college. i was told by the school that as long as I remain under 11 credits I should be fine. the way the program is structured makes it very easy to fall behind because most of the classes only run one semester per year with limited availability. i could potentially fall behind an entire year if I’m not careful. my issue comes with the fact that the community college already received ap scores and has granted credit for them, so I am unsure if that would affect my 11 credit limitation. i am definitely going to call the school tomorrow to see

Check with school. AP credits should not be counted. Many students start with 30 AP credits and are not considered to be transferred. They most likely mean no more than 11 credits after HS graduation.

1 Like

Make sure your college will even accept these classes from the CC.

1 Like

@albertwhiskerzz there’s a difference-did you just send AP scores, or did you also go ahead and Accept the scores?

Check the university’s criteria for frosh or transfer. If it says 12 college credits after leaving high school, then AP credit (from high school) would not normally count. But the exact wording from the specific university matters. Since you did not name the university, others can only guess.

Also note that the credit the university gives for the AP scores may be different from the credit the community college gives for the same AP scores.

2 Likes

i sent AP scores to the community college and they appeared on my transcript with all their equivalents. don’t know if that means acceptance or not. there are some disparities between how AP scores are recognized at the CC versus the university (the CC counts more of my exams toward GED requirements than the university does). all of the credits at the CC i intend on getting are transferable.

at this point, i’m honestly considering just staying in community college to get my AA and transfer that way. i have my entire associates done minus the prerequisites i need for my degree program (graphic design), so it would only take me fall and spring (and potentially summer if something goes wrong). a bit upsetting since i didn’t intend on staying home for so long, but at least i can save money by collecting the pell refund checks?my AA should fully transfer as well just because of florida’s 2+2 agreement.

and for those interested, the school i deferred is UF. the other school i am considering is UCF (closer to home and their art department seems more robust, though if anyone knows any details about either i would love to hear it) both programs require prerequisites to be done before entering as well as a portfolio review which occurs spring only. both have similar prerequisites.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.