AP Scores post to UW Madison Records?

<p>Has anyone checked their on-line record at UW Madison to see if AP scores for this year's testing are posted?</p>

<p>Son is away for the week, and I would like to know if I should bug him to check his academic record at Madision. I think the AP scores show up under Placement Tests in the Class Scheduling part of their system.</p>

<p>mine are not posted yet. college board said third week of july, so i’d check back around then.</p>

<p>Last year mine showed up on the 30th of June. The test scores from the previous year were up three days earlier as well. I don’t know if you want to bug him to check scores while he’s away, though. :stuck_out_tongue: They’ll still be there when he gets back. It was a nice surprise however to see them loaded up there when I checked last year. No one told anyone I knew that they would be uploaded that early to Madison’s system.</p>

<p>And yes, they’re under the Placement Test Scores in the Academics tab.</p>

<p>He is actually at Madison this week for music camp, so it would be easy for him to find a terminal and login. He has SOAR next week. If he blew an AP, then it would change his desired schedule for next year.</p>

<p>Well if he did, then it’s a good thing he can change his schedule until September. :]</p>

<p>Will they let him register based upon an assumed AP score? Or will they make him register for Calc 1, and if he passes the AP, then he can change into Calc 3? That one change can mess up your whole schedule.</p>

<p>In any case, if the scores are not posted by this weekend, he will have to call in for his scores before he goes to SOAR.</p>

<p>That would be great if they posted the scores early. However, both college board and U of Wisconsin website under the My Academics/Student Center say late July. I believe call in to College Board/AP is possible starting July 3rd at additional cost. Hopefully, if July 3rd is start of call-in that means that the school gets them early and will post as it seems like they’ve done in the past. Good luck. I agree that it could be a headache/hassle to change as sometimes that tweaks the whole schedule.</p>

<p>hi everyone, could someone enlighten me on the AP system in america? if i’m an international student and i dont have AP scores, how does UW go about placing me into classes? (besides placement tests?)</p>

<p>My S’s AP scores were posted on the UW site yesterday.</p>

<p>My AP scores were also posted yesterday. I have a question and would like to get your thoughts/comments. I got a 4 for my AP Calculus class. I already registered for Calculus 221 at SOAR. Should I change it to Cal 2? I also signed up for Chemistry and English. I’m not sure if Cal 2 would make my schedule a lot tougher or not. Please advise. Thanks!</p>

<p>Thanks Wildpeace. I’ll bug my son.</p>

<p>Travelfun: Phone report of AP scores was available yesterday.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Calc AB or BC? If Calc BC, what is your AB Sub score? What is your intended major?</p>

<p>Calc 221 if you took Calc AB and really need to know calculus well.
Calc 222 if you don’t need math, or if you AB sub score is a 5.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>What classes in particular? Placement tests are for English, Math, and Foreign Language. If you are talking about Chemistry, Biology, Physics, etc. then you have to start at the beginning. Some departments, like Music, have their own placement tests for their classes (music theory).</p>

<p>Thanks! As usual, CC’ers are a step ahead of me. :-)</p>

<p>When checked yesterday morning, scores were not posted. Today they are there and said post date was yesterday. </p>

<p>And, thanks OperaDad… for some reason I remember the call in date as being later, but we checked a long time ago. Doesn’t matter anyhow - it is great the school got them posted so your son will know his options going in to SOAR. Good luck.</p>

<p>Nicchansey- AP stands for “advanced placement”. These courses are comparable to an average level introductory college course and have uniform content (hopefully) offered at many US high schools. Students can take a national standardized test in each subject (don’t need to take the test or take the course to take the test) offered in May each year. Those who “pass” with a score of 3, 4 or 5 on a 0-5 scale may get credit from their college. Each college decides if it wants to give college credit for a course and can give different credits based on the score. Students can then use those credits to advance their class standing after first semester, as well as satisfy graduation requirements and prerequisites for courses. </p>

<p>The significance in registering for first semester can be in deciding if one did well enough on the AP calculus exam to take the second course, or if one should start over with first semester calculus (students passing that AP exam often are best off repeating it as the UW course is more rigorous). Apparently students who score very high on some AP tests may be exempt from the placement exams. It is no big deal to take those placement exams if your AP scores would have exempted you (unless needing to be there that morning is a hardship). </p>

<p>Don’t worry about not having any AP credits. You choose the difficulty level of a subject based on your HS preparation and goals- eg for Chemistry you pick the course best suited for your major and how much HS chemistry you have had. You will have your orientation just before classes start so you don’t need to make two US trips, they will include extra information on living here. Your advisor can help you decide which courses are best for you. Not all students who take AP courses take the test and will need to start at the beginning also, some choose to take the UW course instead of getting credits even if they get a passing grade on the AP test. AP is a HS thing, doesn’t come up in your courses, only good to know what the others are talking about in the dorms…</p>

<p>thanks wis75 for all the info, helped clear the air. What else does credit do besides satisfying graduation/course requirements? Some people were telling me that taking 18 credits in LSA might not be as tough as 14-15 credits in EE as the engineering classes are much tougher. Is this true?</p>

<p>Where on our Wisc portal will the scores be? I read under Academics and then under Placement Test scores. I can obviously find the academics tab but there is no “Placement Test” section…</p>

<p>It isn’t the main My UW-Madison page, but in the Student Center. Click on Student Center, when it loads, Click on My Academics, then you should see the top link is Placement Test Scores.</p>

<p>Good Luck</p>

<p>Don’t bother comparing difficulty between schools/colleges. The toughness of courses depends on the aptitude/ability of the student. A science /math engineering student could have trouble with writing intensive courses whereas a humanities student could have trouble with the engineering problem sets. Don’t worry about competitiveness in “my program/major is tougher than yours”- choose something that both interests you and you have aptitude for. Math majors in L&S may not complain of difficult coursework like some engineering students, but that may be because they have the aptitude that makes those abstract concepts easy for them while those engineering students may struggle to get the volume of work needed done, but could never understand the mathematical abstractions of a math major’s work.</p>

<p>AP courses- useful in HS in getting tougher/better quality courses than might otherwise be offered there. For college- satisfying requirements without needing to take the course in college. Therefore nothing to worry about- some nonAP HS courses can be tougher/better than the corresponding AP course.</p>

<p>I’m wondering when our AP scores will be reflected as actual credit, I guess I’ll call them about that. I didn’t realize they came out on the student center so early, I wasted 8 bucks on the AP phone call!</p>

<p>I believe you get the actual credits sometime during the semester- helpful in registering for second semester and you have to actually attend UW to get those credits on your transcript.</p>