AP test

Do you have to take AP test even if it’s not for intended major? And has no effect for college credit

You are not required to take any AP test. If you do not get college credit, it is up to you if want to take the exam.

@Gumbymom Thanks! Yeah I mean most colleges accept credit for one AP English so why take another.

That’s not quite true in many cases, though at UCB L&S if you get a 5 in AP Lit you can skip both R&C classes. But only 5% or so gets a 5 for AP Lit.

@ProfessorPlum168 major is engineering physics already took AP Lang and comp

For UC Berkeley Engineering if you got a 4+ on Eng Lang, you can skip the first R&C course but yes, regardless of how you do in AP Eng Lit you still need to take the second R&C course. For UCLA, a 4+ in either Eng Lang or Lit lets you skip out of English 3. Not sure about the other UCs and their Engineering schools.

You do get unassigned credits though if you get a qualifying score on both tests, which helps towards the amount needed for graduation. So to me, even the unassigned credits is possibly worth it - $100 for 4 units sure beats playing $1700 (the broken out cost of taking an extra class at most UCs).

one other thing, if you’re already taking the AP Lit class, you might as well take the test - it’s not as if you need to waste any extra time preparing for the test, unlike say an SAT. 99% of what you need for the test comes from the classroom writing, analysis, and critiques, assuming you have a good teacher. That’s just my opinion though.

@ProfessorPlum168 thank you!