Apartment for 2016- 2017

After getting DS set up in his dorm yesterday, we began looking for apartments for next year. We looked at East Edge, the Lofts at City Center, and South 10. For any of you who have a student at these complexes, your opinion of the apartment is appreciated. Is the train noise at East Edge and South 10 significant? Does your child feel safe and comfortable living there? Have there been many incidents that the PD has responded to that you are aware of? How do you think the apartment is managed? I know South 10 just opened, so any impressions to this point would be helpful. Thank you.

My daughter is starting her second year at East Edge, and she likes it there. The biggest negative of East Edge, IMO, is the cost. My daughter chose East Edge because she wanted a single (she has a 1 bedroom, but they have 2 different studio plans) and she wanted to be within walking distance of campus. In retrospect, the walking distance was not necessary because she has a car and rarely walks. You can definitely hear the train noise at EE. When I’ve stayed there I noticed it, but when I mentioned it to my D, she said that she’s so used to it she doesn’t even notice it any more. She definitely feels safe and comfortable there. I’m not aware of any PD incidents, although I’m sure that in a student complex of that size there have been some. She lives in the building where most of the studios and 1 BRs are located, and it tends to be quieter than the buildings with the larger units where it would be easier to have a larger group over. I’ve definitely heard some partying going on in other buildings, not so much in hers. I think the apartment is reasonably well managed - I’ve had to call them from time to time (when D didn’t make any progress on an issue) and they’ve always resolved it for me. It’s unfortunate that they didn’t resolve it for my daughter in the first instance, but she’s not as persistent as I am. FWIW, East Edge has a lot of amenities (pool, outdoor grills, fitness center, tanning booth, movie theatre), but my daughter doesn’t use any of them.

College Station Properties also runs several other complexes within walking distance. http://www.collegestationproperties.com/ My son is at one of these, and it is pretty expensive, I must say, probably due to the fact that it is ‘walking distance’, but has no other amenities or pluses going for it to justify its cost. Because he is not in that apt during the summer, it is actually more than the suite dorms at UA. So, be sure to factor in those 3-4 unoccupied months into your budget, if applicable to your situation next summer. Most leases are 12-months, Aug-July (i.e., you’re on the hook even after you graduate!). Also, there are quite a few independent/private housing options near campus, esp just south of campus, which would take some time to research, but could save you some money. It’s a racket, tho: because students have had great on-campus housing, for many that is their ‘bar’ to compare future apartments to, and they are then unwilling to move ‘down’. Good luck with your hunting! :wink:

DS just moved into The Lofts this week. So far, so good. I can hear the train, but not so much that it’s annoying. He is in a 4BR flat and two of the rooms are small and the living room is small. The kitchen is nice sized. The parking garage is tight for my suburban, but probably just fine for a compact car. There is a bus that roomies plan to take to campus.

Unless you are looking for a 1BR close to campus, I would highly recommend not signing a lease until spring semester. DS signed his lease in Feb. and did not have a problem getting the 4BR with his roommates.

South10 just opened a day or two ago so I don’t think you’re going to get much feedback. Virtually everything near the campus is near the RR tracks…that’s just an unavoidable fact. the tracks aren’t used all day or all night long.

If someone is a light sleeper and/or can’t “get used to them” (which many people do), then they add things like the better grade of Eclipse curtains to windows.

Do NOT sign a lease until you’re 100% sure. Leases are strongly enforced here.

@collegerealsoon - sending you a private message.

Since more properties have been built, one can delay committing. However we did jump in early - in part because we had the 3 room-mates firm and they liked East Edge, and all are committed with scholarships to stay at UA. We also saved a little money on rent with signing early. ‘Building 4’ is actually the large building where the leasing office, pool, etc is. With having a suite with girls, we requested 2nd floor for security in building 4 - it is a ‘safe’ area and with police dept right next door - I just wanted to avert a first floor security issue. Depending on what floor plan you want will determine how many of a particular unit is in any building. Many 3 and 4 BR apts in Building 4.

There is a fair amount of the building further away from the RR tracks, but if the noise does concern someone, be sure to be further away. We have several family members near active RR tracks and you do tune it out.

A factor is to live on the same side of the tracks as the University is (like East Edge). Some have written about cutting it too close getting to class and needing to wait on a train.

A few students have snuck in animals to apt where pets are prohibited. I am sure they have to pay fully on damages - So far, I have heard about a large dog and a cat.

My student knows a fair number of students in East Edge. Also is convenient for band for the band kids, which she is part of.

The photos of South 10 show it to be an attractive property.

A main thing is getting room-mates that you get along with; sharing an apt helps save $$. You make sure all sign the leases so you are together in apt. The 3 and 4 BR at East Edge are the most price friendly in that complex.

One tries to get the priority one wants at a particular complex - it depends who moves out as to what units will be available. Also some current residents may ask to move to a different apt the next year, and to me it seems as current residents, if they commit early they have priority over new residents. East Edge management told me they had a lot of residents from 2014 - 2015 move to different apt units for 2015 - 2016.

If someone has allergies and needs a unit w/o carpet - some places do have laminate wood look or some even with wood floor. Some complexes have no carpet on first level.

Anyone at renting at South 10 right now that can comment on the railroad noise and ease of walking to campus?

Our students have lived on both sides of the RR tracks during the past three years. The train noise isn’t a problem. You can definitely hear it, but you won’t even notice after a while. You can also hear the train from RCS dorms. If a student is a light sleeper, I would suggest a box fan which is less than $20 at Lowes and making or purchasing blackout panels for the windows.

7: South 10 people just starting moving in on Aug 15, so it take a while to get some decent feedback..... Drove by it Saturday and it looked great. Moved son into The Lofts also on Sat......after several weeks, we might have some input (but the common areas of the complex / pools / workout room / outdoor sitting areas / rec room / etc = top-notch awesome!)

Thanks to everyone who provided info. Your insights into off campus student housing is very helpful.

How much of a bother is parking if one chooses to live in an apartment off campus?

^^ Some students purchase commuter parking passes, others ride bikes, many are close enough to walk, others ride shuttles that run back and forth all day between their apartment complex and UA (free). Parking passes are sold online in mid-summer, and I know that you need to purchase fairly quickly for best selection. Others with more extensive experience will chime in on this…

My advice would be wait until spring before committing to anything. There is far more supply than demand in terms of apartments, and by spring there is quite a bit of discounting and “Cash on the Hood” so to speak. The companies get desperate to fill the rooms so they throw out discounts and incentives.

As for which individual complex, I’ll give advice. McFarland blvd is a pain to commute on, try to pick a place where one can bypass it on the way to campus if possible. Be VERY careful before signing anything.

There is a lot of pressure on freshman to sign the papers ASAP like in Oct-Nov. It’s a better idea to wait a little longer and get a feel for the different apartments.

There are 3 different commuter parking zones. There is a small one near Publix and it fills very quickly. However the one near the engineering building/rec center is the largest and my son has always been able to get a pass there with no problem and as an engineering student, it’s the one he prefers so it works out really well. They do sell more parking passes than they have physical spots and so there may be times that it’s difficult to find a spot, but my son has never had any trouble in the NE zone where his pass is because with it being the largest zone there are always students coming and going.

If you park in a commuter zone you will not always be anywhere close to the buildings you have classes in. The campus is not designed to move your car and park near the building you are going to. My son’s solution is to take his bike on a bike rack on his car, park his car in the commuter lot, then ride his bike on campus between his classes.

@Nerdyparent
Students who live off campus and plan to drive to campus purchase commuter or perimeter parking passes. Finding a spot within the permitted zone isn’t usually a problem, but the permit doesn’t guarantee availability of a parking spot even in the reserved deck. There are some overflow lots. Parking isn’t a real issue as long as a student allows time for a backup plan if necessary.

Although some of the properties have shuttles, it is important to realize that most stop around 6 pm. It isn’t unusual to need to be on campus later than 6 pm., so that is something to consider.

Check out the zones here:

http://bamaparking.ua.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2013/08/Parking-Map-5-18-15-copy.pdf

Thanks @bamagirls !

After 6 pm, the parking restrictions ease and students can park in most places (other than handicapped or tow zones). See full rules here: http://bamaparking.ua.edu/regulations/#Rules

Now that OP is back home and thinking about things with off campus housing, I would look at the web sites of the complexes and also decide if wanting to go with furnished or unfurnished, close to campus to not need a car, or commuting some distance to campus is OK, and room-mates or not. I know one can find some very nice close unfurnished that are very nice, but what we saw - we realized that being in a 3BR furnished with all inclusive costs and with room-mates already lined up and liking the complex (as did their parents that do need to be guarantees on most leases) was best for us and was not bad cost wise. We plan for our student to stay in this apt until finished at UA!

We did save some with earlier leasing and with apt selection. I believe when we recommit again for the next year, we will get a price break too. We are pretty sure about one if not both room-mates re-committing too. Feel pretty confident about having a sure apt with all committed well ahead of time.

However if student is not 100% sure about return. Or if going to do a term away for co-op. You don’t want to lose money because your student won’t be there part of the year, or you have to pay due to your lease and no-one to take over the lease.

Some people do move from year to year, but if you are in a great place, why move when you have a 12 month lease and you are coming back another 12 months.

“why move when you have a 12 month lease and you are coming back another 12 months.”

In our case we had a student who moved into EE when it first opened. I won’t go into the details, but many of you may remember that it was a fiasco that first year for quite some time due to the buildings not being ready, not meeting code at the time of move in, etc…

The following year, our student moved to an unfurnished property that was also newly constructed. It was a spacious, well-finished property, gated, and included many amenities in addition to a great location. Our students were happy there for two years, but when our third joined them at UA, they outgrew the unit even though it was 1,400 square feet. We felt they needed a third bedroom and bath, so they have moved to another newly constructed property in a well-established area nearby. Going unfurnished made perfect sense for us, and so did giving up amenities such as a gym and pool in exchange for more usable space.

My advice would be to consider your student’s needs, your financial situation, and your various options carefully now and from year to year if your needs change. Doing the leg work early will help you make an informed decision.

Best of luck to all!