Apartments in T-Town: the Good, the Bad, & the Avoid at All Costs?

<p>For all those researching off campus apartments for next year, I thought I’d pass on that Riverfront Village has had some serious problems (still ongoing) getting up and running. There also seem to be some suggestions that the construction of the apartments is less than stellar. I not sure that CC will allow the link, but if you look at the comments on the Facebook page for Riverfront Village you’ll see what I mean.</p>

<p>My DD likes Riverfront Village based upon it’s website, location and floorplans. However, the FB comments and reviews are quite revealing. Was in TTown this past weekend and there are still no models to look at, construction still on going. Only two buildings habitable and one is frequently without water. The balconies called for by the plans are not being built. </p>

<p>From the Facebook page it sounds as though some of the people who signed leases have been treated so badly they are considering lawsuits against Riverfront Village.</p>

<p>Should have added that after review of FB comments and reviews and making DD read them as well, Riverfront Village is off the list. </p>

<p>Thought these questions might be useful to those searching this thread:
How do individual (room) leases work? What happens if one of your roommates leaves – does the apartment management fill that empty bedroom?
Also, could someone give us a rough estimate of utilities (electric, gas, water) if not included in rent (individual mileage will vary, of course). I’m assuming the roommates split the utilities among themselves like most housemate situations.
Thanks!</p>

<p>East Edge- Nice apartments, but close to the police station and train tracks. This means cars with loud sirens and flashing lights incoming/outgoing 24/7. Trains are loud too. </p>

<p>My S’s apartment runs ~$70 for internet/mo and about $90+ for utilities/mo. $10/mo allowance for water is charged in each bedroom’s rent. (They have not experienced a summer electric bill yet, tho…) That’s total, so they split it. Their apt cannot adjust the temperature much, but the utility cost is not included in rent. In other words, they cannot move the thermostat above/below a certain degree depending on the season, yet they have to pay for their own utility bill. I found this odd - I mean, if you’re paying for the bill, you should be allowed to at least choose your own temperature?!</p>

<p>People have documented here many times that living off campus is much cheaper than in the dorms…and it can be. This has not necessarily been our experience. Food is much cheaper, but bedroom/apt rental + utilities is more than the dorm, esp when you consider you pay for 12 months, not 8.</p>

<p>There are definitely things we didn’t like about East Edge, but lights and sirens from police leaving and returning to the station are not a concern. Police officers don’t generally respond to calls from the sttation since they are usually out on patrol rather than in the station. They certainly don’t return with lights and sirens. We never saw it heard anything from the station.</p>

<p>@bamagirls, care to share what the things are at East Edge you don’t care for?</p>