Apartments in T-Town: the Good, the Bad, & the Avoid at All Costs?

<p>As an earlier post indicated, the hunt for next year’s housing will begin in earnest after Parent’s weekend. While it seems like the addition of new apartment inventory and completion of Presidential dorms should help alleviate some of the rush to lease this Fall, nonetheless parents & students will be starting their research. Would be interested in hearing about the pros, cons and avoid at all costs of the various apartments complexes. </p>

<p>^^ I’d love to hear this kind of information too. I checked out the Woodlands which was mentioned by jrcsmom and it looks great, but online reviews mention problems with utility overages, move-out charges, inconvenient move in/move out dates, and unresponsive management. I’m not sure how accurate these reviews are but it would be great to hear what experiences people here have had (not just for the Woodlands but for any apartment complex). Also, how well do the shuttles work out for students who live in the complexes that offer shuttle service? It seems that even if your student has a car it might be good to take a shuttle into the UA campus to avoid parking hassles.</p>

<p>I think we should copy/paste the below and fill in for each apt complex that you know:</p>

<p>Complex name</p>

<p>Rate</p>

<p>is rate “per bedroom” or “per unit”?</p>

<p>Rate includes (ex: water, cable, internet, etc)</p>

<h1>of Bedrooms</h1>

<h1>of Baths</h1>

<p>Distance from Campus</p>

<p>bus service to campus?</p>

<p>Other amenities (pool, tennis, clubhouse, fitness room, etc)</p>

<p>Safe area?</p>

<p>Gated? </p>

<p>Misc positives:</p>

<p>Misc negatives:</p>

<p>Other notes:</p>

<p>Can we add availability of shopping near the apartment complex? </p>

<p>Complex name</p>

<p>nearest cross-streets</p>

<p>Rate</p>

<p>is rate “per bedroom” or “per unit”?</p>

<h1>of Bedrooms</h1>

<h1>of Baths</h1>

<p>bus service to campus?</p>

<p>Safe area?</p>

<p>Gated?</p>

<p>Nearby grocery</p>

<p>Nearby non-grocery stores</p>

<p>Nearby restaurants/fast food</p>

<p>Misc positives:</p>

<p>Misc negatives:</p>

<p>Other notes:</p>

<p>Can you add if you can get individual leases per room? (or is this answered in the rate per room?)</p>

<p>Let’s also add insect problems, water damage issues. And the hours of the shuttle to campus. I’ve heard some are good…every 15 min to 1/2 hour, but others are only every hour and stop at 5pm, leaving kids stuck on campus for later classes. </p>

<p>Does the age of a building/complex matter? Should that be noted? I’d also like to know if students in certain majors/schools generally choose specific places based on their locations and/or their prevailing atmosphere. </p>

<p>Thanks for starting this thread!</p>

<p>Things like insect issues, etc, should be noted in the Misc Negatives. i think the age of the complex is only relevant if the place hasn’t been maintained, and then that can be noted in the Misc Negatives.</p>

<p>Things like: “popular with B-School majors” or “popular with nursing students”, etc, can be noted in the Other Notes. (I’m not sure if any particular complexes attract one major or another.) </p>

<p>Complex name</p>

<p>Rate</p>

<p>is rate/lease “per bedroom” or “per unit”?</p>

<h1>of Bedrooms</h1>

<h1>of Baths</h1>

<p>bus service to campus - frequency of trips to campus - weekend trips?</p>

<p>Safe area?</p>

<p>Gated?</p>

<p>Nearby grocery</p>

<p>Misc positives (immaculate premises, etc):</p>

<p>Misc negatives (poorly-kept landscaping, etc.):</p>

<p>Other notes (popular with a particular major, etc.):</p>

<p>Are these units always furnished or is this a question that needs to be answered for each unit?</p>

<p>Complex name</p>

<p>Rate</p>

<p>is rate/lease “per bedroom” or “per unit”?</p>

<p>Furnished/Unfurnished (or furnished available):</p>

<h1>of Bedrooms</h1>

<h1>of Baths</h1>

<p>bus service to campus - frequency of trips to campus - weekend trips?</p>

<p>Safe area?</p>

<p>Gated?</p>

<p>Nearby grocery</p>

<p>Misc positives (immaculate premises, etc):</p>

<p>Misc negatives (poorly-kept landscaping, etc.):</p>

<p>Here’s what I know - I can check with my S if anyone has more specific questions</p>

<p>Complex name - The Woodlands</p>

<p>nearest cross-streets - Hargrove (not far from McFarland)</p>

<p>Rate - $495/month (with discount for renewing lease)</p>

<p>is rate/lease “per bedroom” or “per unit”? per bedroom (individual lease)</p>

<p>Rate includes (ex: water, cable, internet, etc) - basic cable (can pay to upgrade package) and wired internet (need to supply own wireless router for wi-fi (can pay water and electricity or $40/month + overages for inclusive utility package)</p>

<p>Furnished/Unfurnished (or furnished available): - fully furnished (not high quality furnishing, but everything was in good condition and functional)</p>

<h1>of Bedrooms - S is in 4BR Townhome</h1>

<h1>of Baths - 4</h1>

<p>Distance from Campus - located directly behind Target</p>

<p>bus service to campus - frequency of trips to campus - weekend trips? has shuttle, don’t know schedule son either drives or bikes and has never used shuttle service</p>

<p>Other amenities (pool, tennis, clubhouse, fitness room, etc) -pool, clubhouse (with pool table, computers for use), fitness room, ‘theater’ where students can bring DVDs and project them on a large screen with theater style seating, complex has fairly regular gatherings (AT LEAST once per month) where students can stop and get free food</p>

<p>Safe area?</p>

<p>Gated? No, but have their own security staff </p>

<p>Nearby grocery - Son shops at Target, there is an actual grocery not far on McFarland</p>

<p>Nearby non-grocery stores - Target, Home Depot</p>

<p>Nearby restaurants/fast food - everything near the mall on McFarland? </p>

<p>Misc positives (immaculate premises, etc):-has microwave and washer and dryer included in the units, walk-in-closets and large pantry area in kitchen, large balcony area, LOTS of parking available, very convenient to Target, allows pets (may be a positive for some)</p>

<p>Misc negatives (poorly-kept landscaping, etc.):- we’ve always had utility overages (but the complex supplied bills directly from water and electric companies upon request to verify proper billing, so issue is that the $40/month fee needs to be increased so it is more realistic), getting maintenance is slow for non-emergency issues, walls are ‘thin’ you can definitely hear loud music/noises from adjacent units or outside noise</p>

<p>Recently heard of apartment in Campus Way infested with Bed bugs. </p>

<p>Does the Woodlands have a dishwasher? Big plus after living in the dorms is getting an apartment with a dishwasher. Another big plus is in unit washer/dryer. Son, now in grad school at another university, has downstairs large laundry unit, like I had in college, and one load runs $1.75 for washer and dryer each. Don’t know how this figures in on your utility overages, but take into account the cost of laundry if you’re pinching pennies. Guaranteed off street parking was a must for us with the snow, but could also be considered for safety, football weekends, etc.</p>

<p>The Woodlands is a newish upscale complex so has DWs and in-unit DWs. Virtually all of the more modern complexes have DWs. Many have in-unit W&Ds as well. </p>

<p><a href=“http://woodlandsoftuscaloosa.com”>http://woodlandsoftuscaloosa.com</a></p>

<p>The Woodlands 4 BR Flat
$565
Per Bedroom
Per Month</p>

<p>1,890 sqft
Utility Package Available (call for details)
FREE Hi-Speed Internet
FREE Extended Cable
Fully Furnished
Features
Full Kitchen with Bar Area
Dining Room
Living Room
Individual Baths
Washer & Dryer
Electronic Key System
Front and Back Porch</p>

<p>Is East Edge the only student complex within walking distance? I know there are little condo-type places scattered around the stadium. But as far as larger complexes is EE it? Thanks.</p>

<p>This site is very helpful <a href=“http://offcampushousing.ua.edu/property/rental”>http://offcampushousing.ua.edu/property/rental&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>The 3 largest apartment complexes that are right on the edge of campus and walking distance are
East Edge
513 Rock Point
and the new one just north of Rock Point (name escapes me) It is right across the street from the football practice field.</p>

<p>There are several smaller complexes that won’t have the pools, fitness centers, media rooms, etc that are within walking distance as well. There is an older small complex that only has 1 bedrooms that is on the corner of
12th St and 8th Ave. As well as several others. Then there are the individually owned condos that are scattered around the edge of campus that are mixed in with the houses. </p>

<p>Central Park (College Station Properties) is on Hackberry north of 513 Rock Point. No frills (no pool, clubhouse, etc.) but brand new and close to campus. Unfurnished and relatively expensive…$760 per bedroom for a 3 BR apt. </p>