App Questions

<p>Yup, Academic Elite is somewhat misleading, but I think Computer-Based Honors is fine. The freshman year does revolve around learning programming and how computers actually function. And yes interviews are generally held on the same weekend, since so many people apply to both programs.</p>

<p>Again, the problem with the name Computer-Based Honors is that too many think it’s a Computer Science honors program…and some actually think it’s an honors program for “online courses”…(computer-based).</p>

<p>It is a research honors program and the name should reflect that.</p>

<p>From my discussions with Ms. Batson, CBH is actually the oldest honors program and the “computer based” in the name actually refers to the fact that back in the days before computers were so widespread, it was actually a rare thing for computers to be used in such ways to assist academic research. The UA program is actually technically older than MIT’s program. So, while I agree that the name of the program can be misleading in today’s context, I can see why historically it carries some tradition that us worthy of carrying forward. Just adding some context for those just learning. Roll Tide!</p>

<p>To add to the confusion, it is often beneficial for students to enter CBH as “blank slates” in terms of programming experience. A name like Research Honors Program would also be misleading as it could lead prospective students and their families to believe that research opportunities at UA are limited to 50 incoming freshmen each year, which is definitely not the case.</p>

<p>To summarize, CBH is a research program that includes a good amount of computer programming. It is beneficial for many students and it is expected that everyone complete the program requirements. </p>

<p>Technically speaking, one doesn’t need to be in UHP in order to be in CBH; there is at least 1 person a year who decides to leave UHP and stay in CBH (publicly available data).</p>

<p>Technically speaking, one doesn’t need to be in UHP in order to be in CBH; there is at least 1 person a year who decides to leave UHP and stay in CBH (publicly available data).</p>

<p>Yes, there have been a small number who don’t want to complete the UHP req’ts, so they “drop out” of UHP…but I think you do have to apply to UHP before or at the same time that you apply to CBH. </p>

<p>I agree with the desire to be a “blank slate” when it comes to CBH. that was a big fear when my older son joined…he had no programming experience whatsover…but that was fine. :)</p>

<p>A large distinction is that UFE is heavily service-oriented, “The UFE selection committee will consider a candidate’s record of academic, extracurricular, service, and leadership achievements more heavily than grades and test scores.” Whereas CBHP is primarily a research opportunity which also qualifies as your required minor. “The 2009 entering class had an average 32 ACT and 4.0 GPA.” (I suspect that 2010 & 2011 classes may be even higher…) Another possibility for research is the Emerging Scholars Program. Not to discourage you, and I’m sure M2CK will chime in, but I think that there are 8 elite scholarships for the UFE.</p>

<p>I knew that there wasnt many, so 8 sounds right. How many students are in UFE each year?</p>

<p>Are there other merit scholarships that one is considered for to take care of the cost of room & board, after the presidential scholarship and besides the engineering scholarship?</p>

<p>^^^ khh, for the last couple years, the numbers for CBH and UFE have been ~40 and 25 respectively. With a freshman class of 1500+ in the honors college, you can see that this is indeed select company and is quite competitive obviously! My D applied for both, and was disappointed not to be chosen for UFE, but after she was accepted to CBH all of that disappeared. Good luck!</p>