Apparently all the engineering spots at Texas A&M are already full? Help?

<p>I sent in my app to TAMU on Tuesday with my first choice major being Chem Engineering, second choice being Chemistry. I was talking to my friend who was already accepted into Pre-pharm about a month ago; he said that when he tried changing his back-up major to chem engineering a few days ago, the system told him he couldn't because all the spots were filled already. When I sent my app in, it didn't tell me anything of that sort. Now I'm sorta worried.... How could all the spots be filled when the deadline to apply is not even up yet? Has anyone experienced this? And what were your results? I'm guessing due to the popularity of A&M engineering this probably happens yearly; has anyone applied during late November and still gotten in?</p>

<p>I also have not gotten confirmation that they have even received my application. Should I call and ask them tomorrow?</p>

<p>Thanks for all your help!</p>

<p>I also applied for chemical engineering, and I fear the same thing as you.</p>

<p>I wouldn’t be surprised if the spots are full because A&M has rolling admissions…(gah, I hate it so much)…</p>

<p>But what can you do? I am just hoping for the best. Maybe you should too…</p>

<p>I think I would have some sort of panic attack if that was the case.</p>

<p>Panic attack, soon to arrive.</p>

<p>If you are trying to apply for the '14 fall semester as a freshman applying for A&M engineering, unfortunately it may be too late to get a spot in the popular engineering majors. The only majors usually left is electrical and industrial engineering. </p>

<p>You should have applied to Texas A&M when the application week was opened. These spots get taken fast and A&M’s application process is different in which they fill up the spots fast.</p>

<p>However, do not feel bad there is still a chance. Texas A&M has a program that allows you to go to one of other A&M schools and after seeing your progress at that school for like a year, they might allow you to transfer to Texas A&M at college station, like you wanted. In order to be considered for this program, your application status should have said it.</p>

<p>Unfortunately I faced this same situation and I went to another college and I’m recently getting ready to transfer to A&M after 2 years. </p>

<p>If you want to go to a University for back-up, I know U of H has engineering spots right now. When I was a senior in H.S., I applied to U of H as a freshman in the spring semester of my senior year and I got accepted as an “undeclared engineering” major. It seems that anyone accepted to engineering is undeclared, not too sure though. It’s still the school of engineering.</p>

<p>~Good luck</p>

<p>Some schools have a different limitation for people who want to transfer vs people who are aplying directly so that might save you!!!</p>

<p>A&M’s engineering admission process has changed somewhat. They no longer admit you into a specific engineering major. Everybody is admitted into general engineering. After completing your CBK courses you apply to your preferred engineering major. They fill about 85% of the class on a first come basis. The remaining 15% is filled competitively after the application period has closed.
I know a couple of people that did not get admitted directly into engineering the last two years. They both majored in Physics the first year, took the required CBK courses, did well, and transferred into engineering at the beginning of their sophomore year.</p>

<p>Thank you so much everyone! WAPacker, your answer makes me feel a lot better. I think that is what I will end up trying, if I don’t get into the engineering program initially. Thanks! :)</p>

<p>Here’s the quote from acceptance letter…</p>

<p>“The College of Engineering has reached its enrollment limit for admission without review; therefore, you have been admitted to BACUNEN-Engineering Review. The remaining engineering seats will be offered to students based on a competitive holistic review process. Students will be notified on or around January 15th concerning engineering selections. Be assured, your admission to Texas A&M University is secure; it is your major which has not yet been determined.”</p>

<p>I applied second October 8th for mechanical and civil engineering and my application is still under review. My cousin who got a 35 in his ACT applied December 1st and got in the same week.
What majors did you apply for?</p>

<p>Mechanical Engineering, OOS, 32 ACT, 1410 SAT, 4.375 GPA</p>

<p>Would I be able to get accepted through the holistic review process with a 29 on the act (32 in math) or are they only filling up the last engineering spots with people with much higher scores? Thanks</p>

<p>This year looks luckier. 2 years ago, if you applied late you just got a letter saying you were denied, but qualified for the PSA program, in which you go to another A&M school for 1 year and transfer to A&M-CS if you made the grade. The only 2 majors left would be electrical and industrial</p>

<p>I haven’t been accepted to the university yet and my top 2 Major choices are engineering. Will I need to first be admitted into the university before January 15 (i heard this is the date they are making decisions for the COE review applicants) in order to be considered for a final spot in COE?</p>

<p>^ I’d like to know too, if we aren’t accepted by the 15, does that mean we’ll know by late February/ March then?</p>

<p>Does anyone know if they have already started accepting COE review applicants to make up the last 15% or will they let everyone know at the same time on January 15?</p>

<p>My S got his e-mail on Monday, 1/20 and his review was complete and he was granted admission to school of engineering.</p>

<p>Congratulations and whoop!</p>

<p>This morning the admission office sent an e-mail to inform my S, he was accepted to college of engineering.</p>

<p>Howdy XXX,
Congratulations again on your admission to Texas A&M University! It is our pleasure to also inform you of your acceptance to the Dwight Look College of Engineering. Your major has been changed to reflect this acceptance and is viewable on the Applicant Information System website, applicant.tamu.edu.
As a reminder, Freshmen are admitted to the Dwight Look College of Engineering (ENGE) with a preference for the major noted on the application. Students will be advised by the Dwight Look College of Engineering and will follow the degree plan for their preferred major. These changes offer students the freedom to learn about the different engineering majors to better equip them to make informed decisions concerning which engineering discipline is the best fit for their career goals. Students apply to a major(s) after completing specific course work. Acceptance to a major is competitive.
As a friendly reminder, all incoming students must register for and attend a New Student Conference. Registration opens on the Applicant Information System on February 1 and must be completed by May 1, 2014 to secure your admission to Texas A&M.
If you have other questions or concerns, please contact an advisor at one of our Prospective Student Centers, admissions.tamu.edu/psc. Please do not respond directly to this email.</p>

<p>Office of Admissions</p>

<p>@ Lily70 and PITTKREW… would you mind sharing your son’s stats and when he submitted application? I am a nervous wreck.</p>

<p>@GOTTABEANAGGIE - just calm down. there’s nothing you can do about it now so don’t worry about it. make sure you have a viable back up plan. you have probably about a 50/50 chance based on your stats, so you might be one of the last ones to know.</p>