Appeal letter to Haverford college

The overall acceptance rate at Haverford last year was 14.2%. This, when considered with other statistical aspects, places it among the hardest colleges to get into in the U.S. For this reason, even highly qualified applicants — irrespective of national origin or financial need — may be denied admission.

Consider an application to Earlham which is another small liberal arts college with strong Quaker traditions and values, though a much higher acceptance rate than Haverford. It also has a relatively larger percentage of international students, though may not provide sufficient need-based aid for this student. Dayton, Ohio airport is about 45 min from campus. Applications are accepted until March 1.

9 Likes

Congratulations on your acceptances!

2 Likes

Congratulations on your acceptances thus far. You have two very good choices. I know your heart is breaking from the realization you won’t go to Haverford. With so many qualified applicants, thousands of students are literally turned away who could just as easily have been admitted to these top schools. So, the first thing to realize is that the rejection is not about you personally. I know it feels personal. But it really is a numbers game and the AOs are trying to build a balanced class, which means balancing variables beyond grades and test scores in ways that no individual student can predict. The second thing you need to do is mourn the loss of your dream of being at Haverford. You lost something. It is ok to feel sad. But the fastest way to get over it will be to start imagining a different future for yourself at another school and falling in love with that possibility. An appeal to Haverford is not likely to work for all of the reasons others have given you - and it delays the process of moving on. Those of us who are older on this forum, and have watched our own kids navigate the joys and disappointments of the college application process, can tell you that these things have a way of working out in the end. You will end up at a great place and you can thrive and be happy there, even if it doesn’t feel that way right now. Take care.

7 Likes

OP, I second @Midwestmomofboys recommendation to look at Earlham. We LOVED this school. Much the same caring, engaged, thoughtful ethos as Haverford.

Haverford, BMC, and Earlham were all popular choices at my son’s high school with many students applying to 2 or 3.

2 Likes

UPDATE
I just got an email from Haverford Addmision office they said:
Thanks very much for reaching out. I am sorry we are not able to offer you a place in the class of 2027. We do not do admission appeals given the consensus-based committee process we have at Haverford, unless we had incorrect information (like an incorrect transcript, etc). You are able to apply again though it is quite unusual for students to be admitted after applying previously. I wish you all the best and know you will be a wonderful member of whatever community you join next.
Anyways, I am not sad about this email, I moved on.

14 Likes

Glad you feel good about moving on! I’m quite sure you will do well wherever you attend college. Please update us when you make your final decision. Good luck!!

4 Likes