Application for Fall 2012 and Major

<p>My D completed all of the application this morning except for filling in her major. She thinks she’s interested in Accounting, Econ, Finance and Math (or some combination of those), but couldn’t select just one. I told her I didn’t think it mattered for application purposes and that I thought she could easily change it after the fact, but then I decided I’d better come here and verify that. How easy is it to change your major once you put one on the application? Does it matter in the short term for any reason other than departmental scholarships? And if a student qualifies for the 2/3 tuition scholarship, is she likely to get a departmental scholarship anyway (outside of engineering)?</p>

<p>FWIW, the application looked like it was the same as last year’s application. Of course, D didn’t submit yet, so maybe there was something different once you complete the whole thing. But as far as I could tell, the admissions and scholarship applications weren’t linked, as M2CK was hoping.</p>

<p>I did not notice any links between admission and scholarship either – </p>

<p>My daughter put MIS as major (she was blown away during visit) – I think it would be fairly simple to change, but could be wrong. Did that question have a"red splat" indicating you had to answer?</p>

<p>majors are easy to change but easier Inter-college than intra-college
(think I have those terms right ) Changing colleges usually means changing advisers and stuff.</p>

<p>If she is planning on Culverhouse, I would declare a business major, (maybe General Business major) If A&S, pick something in A&S (Department of Economics, Finance, and Legal Studies) to declare. Then she will be accepted into her college of choice, one little thing out of the way. The decision is between A&S and Culverhouse, which have very different approaches.</p>

<p>majors are easy to change after the app is processed. There is a link on Mybama to do it.</p>

<p>As for picking a major…If a student is going to double major or whatever, he can only choose one major before classes start…later a second one can be added.</p>

<p>However, for admissions, it’s important to list the major that will result in the most scholarship money. For some, that’s engineering. It would be a mistake to name another major and then add or change to engineering a year from now. </p>

<p>Also, some other majors have scholarship money, so again consider that as well when naming the primary major. </p>

<p>Don’t list Pre-med or Pre-law as your major. those aren’t real majors and do not result in any additional scholarship money. Pre-law and Pre-med are tracks…not majors. and this is true for virtually all schools. </p>

<p>So…does this mean that to do the scholarship app, students still have to wait for the follow-up letter? or are they able to access mybama quickly and fill that out as well?</p>

<p>Dang…I was hoping that the scholarship app and the school app would be combined!</p>

<p>*And if a student qualifies for the 2/3 tuition scholarship, is she likely to get a departmental scholarship anyway (outside of engineering)?</p>

<p>*</p>

<p>That’s possible.</p>

<p>M2CK, how do you know which departments have scholarship money? Obviously the engineering department does, but in looking at the website I can’t tell what other departments do. I see various scholarships listed for the departments D is interested in, but you can’t tell number, amounts, etc. to be able to tell if one has more than the others. I’m sure she’s going to end up with a Culverhouse major and probably double with math or another Culverhouse major - I’ll tell her to just choose one and it can be changed later if need be.</p>

<p>This is what I found on the A&S page regarding scholarships for Math majors: [College</a> Scholarships | College of Arts & Sciences](<a href=“http://www.as.ua.edu/home/undergraduates/scholarships_and_financial_aid/college_scholarships/index.php]College”>http://www.as.ua.edu/home/undergraduates/scholarships_and_financial_aid/college_scholarships/index.php)</p>

<p>There is one College scholarship:</p>

<p>Comer Foundation Scholarship In Mathematics</p>

<p>AMOUNT: $3,000 per year for four years; not to exceed $12,000</p>

<p>AVAILABILITY: Four consecutive years; automatically renewable</p>

<p>ELIGIBILITY: Entering freshman student who is an Alabama resident; math major in the College of Arts and Sciences (math majors in the College of Engineering are not eligible); financial need is a major criterion, not necessarily as defined by federal guidelines; academic records, college entrance examination scores, character, and motivation that would indicate a high probability of outstanding performance as a student at the University are considered; consideration is given to students who might not have opportunities to attend the university without this scholarship.</p>

<p>And one Departmental Scholarship:</p>

<p>Dr. Fred A. and Frances Pickens Lewis Endowed Scholarship Fund</p>

<p>ELIGIBILITY: Full-time pure mathematics major (rather than applied or statistical); must be junior standing or greater; automatically renewable for each of the subsequent years of the recipient’s undergraduate and/or graduate education provided the scholarship committee deems the recipient’s performance and academic progress to merit retention.</p>

<p>CONTACT: Department of Mathematics, Box 870350, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0350</p>

<p>DEADLINE: March 1</p>

<p>This probably doesn’t help all that much. I second choosing a Culverhouse major as it looked like more possibilities for scholarship money. </p>

<p>Regarding getting departmental scholarships if they are getting 2/3 tuition, yes it is possible. D has the NMF scholarship and she was awarded an art department scholarship. We were worried that she might not actual “receive” it since it was in the amount of tuition and she already has a tuition scholarship. But it is there on her mybama :slight_smile: But it was a competitive scholarship (portfolio submission) and it was not dependent on need. It is only for a year, but she can compete again next year for the scholarships for currently enrolled students.</p>

<p>It is very easy to change your major after you have applied for admission to UA. It can be done by calling or e-mailing the admissions office. </p>

<p>In regards to scholarships, after a student submits all of their admissions materials along with a complete scholarship application by the December 1st deadline, the student will be considered for university-wide scholarships, college and departmental scholarships, and alumni association scholarships. The individual colleges are responsible for administering their own scholarship programs and the amount and availability of scholarships available to incoming students varies between them. </p>

<p>The major does not play a key role for general, university-wide scholarship consideration, but it is used in determining which specific departmental and college scholarships a student will be considered for.</p>

<p>I will mention that choosing the Department of Economics, Finance, and Legal will lead to ones college of record being CBA rather than A&S. for beth’s mom’s D (Beth?), I would recommend “declaring” a major that is part of CBA since most of her interested seem to be offered by CBA rather than A&S.</p>

<p>Sea tide, that’s exactly what I was thinking - better to choose a CBA major. Probably because that was my opinion, she ended up choosing Math. It sounds like it doesn’t matter much, as I’m sure she’ll change it more than once before it becomes relevant. If I had to guess, I’d say she’ll end up with Finance/Math or Econ/Math. How difficult is it, advising-wise and the like, to have one major in CBA and one in A&S?</p>

<p>Finance/Math and Econ/Math are already approved majors. Degree checklists can be found at [Majors[/url</a>] and more information about the double majors can be found at [url=&lt;a href=“Home - The Culverhouse College of Business”&gt;Home - The Culverhouse College of Business]Programs</a> for Outstanding Students](<a href=“Home - The Culverhouse College of Business”>Home - The Culverhouse College of Business). </p>

<p>As my college of record is CBA, I don’t have to go to A&S or the mathematics department for advising. While I have gone to A&S advising and talked with professors in the mathematics department, CBA has been more willing to work with me and is used to dealing with complicated major combinations (I have 3 majors and am doing a BS/MA program). pretzeldude92 is in A&S rather than CBA and likely has more insight into the A&S advising process than myself.</p>