Applied arts electives for non-majors?

I’m trying to find “fun” courses for my incoming freshman daughter and am having trouble knowing if we’re finding all the options.

We’re looking for 1 to 3 cr classes that would provide hands-on craft/art experience. Does UA offer classes for non-majors (i.e., not with several prereq’s) on topics such as ceramics, pottery, photography, glass fusing, wood working, etc? Any ideas or tips?

I know about the Honors photography class, and I’m sure my daughter would love that . . . We’ll keep it on her wish list until she can get it, as I understand it is very popular. FWIW, dd is an honors student, so honors classes are an option as well as non-honors.

I am currently in Ceramics I (ART 212). It has no prerequisites (it has several optional recommended prereqs that as far as I know, no one in my class has taken). I am not an art major, and neither is anyone else in my class. The class is very fun and mostly low stress (though I’ve had to come to the studio several times outside of my class periods to finish the projects, but I’m kind of a slow worker). Be aware that this class does not fulfill any general education requirements, I just took it because I had some time in my schedule. If your daughter is interested and has the time, I would recommend the class.

There is also a drawing class that might work (ART 110). However, I believe that the sculpture, photography, and painting classes in the art department have prerequisites.

Thanks so much! I saw that class and all those recommended prereqs, and I was nervous about so many recommended courses. It’s great to hear that plenty of students take the class without them! My daughter has had a lot of drawing (and some painting) and other arts experience, so I’d think she’d be fine so long as it wasn’t really the norm to have all those other courses. Thank you!! (She will have nearly all or all her general ed classes covered by APs and CLEPs, so that’s not a concern. It’s really just looking for something fun and horizon-expanding.) Thanks!