Of Those Who Work: % Who Work
Proportion Working<br>
Per Week % Working 1 – 9 Hs 10 – 14 15 – 19 20 – 29 30+ </p>

<p>Freshman 30.9 31.4 50.8 8.2 6.9 2.7
Sophomore 53.6 17.1 40.2 15.3 20.2 7.2
Junior 71.8 14.3 27.8 16.8 29.1 12.0
Senior 81.1 7.0 24.6 23.6 29.0 15.7</p>

<p>I’m gonna take a wild guess and say JiffsMom works at home.</p>

<p>I’m sorry, but Jiffsmom is WAY off base. Spend some time on the campus, actually talking to the VERY MANY students who choose to stay a 5th year. You’ll overwhelmingly find that it’s a CHOICE.</p>

<p>From internships, studying abroad, the high number of students who work, and research opportunities, most students choose to take their time and find value in each of the years they’re here. I’ve never heard of a single student who had to stay a 5th year because of a course being full, nor have I ever heard that people had to wait because the curriculum wasn’t caught up with their high number of credits due to AP classes. Not that these things don’t happen, but in my 5 years here, I’ve never run into it nor heard complaining beyond “Uh, that course is full, I have to go talk to the professor” in which case, it overwhelmingly always ends in the student’s favor.</p>

<p>Students are smart, they make those situations work and professors tend to be very flexible. I’d say at least a third of my friends have taken longer than 4 years and their reasons for doing so have been very, very intentional–not a victim of a flawed system as you have (and persistently) suggested.</p>

<p>There are also the students who finish in 3 1/2 years or choose to take a full 4 years instead of 3 before grad school- students from a blue collar city Wis HS.</p>