Architecture major from NOVA

Hello,
I already have a few posts here on my chances of getting in VA tech etc but I don’t think I have ever mentioned that I wanted to get into their architecture or CAUS program and I am aware that it has a great impact since it is so competitive.

Here are my stats currently: 3.5 GPA and 1280 SAT (I took this without any prep and I am doing SAT prep over the summer and planning on retaking it)

What I am most worried about are my grades in the past; I had 1 C+ in history HN freshman year, and C+ in ap world in sophmore year and C- in precalc sophmore year. I am a mainly B student with a low weighted GPA of 3.5. I am expecting it to go up by at least 3.7 by the end of Junior year. I have taken 2 AP’s in sophmore year and currently taking 3 AP’s this year. I will be taking 5 AP’s next year as well. I have been in 4 years of orchestra, president of Key club and involved in other clubs along with a lot of service hours, honor societies, fluent in 2 languages and a part time job. I am doing SAT prep in the summer and aiming for something above 1400. I was going through personal issues during my first 2 years of high school and I am planning on explaining that on my essay.

Questions:

1. Should I apply for a different major then transfer to CAUS after a year or so?
  2. I heard external transfer was not possible anymore for CAUS since it is so competitive, does that mean if I end up at a different school, I am unable to transfer to CAUS anymore?
  3. Would a good SAT score and explanation of my first two years of high school grades and an upward trend of my grade increase the chances?
  4. Do senior grades matter? (My gpa would go up a lot more if it counted…)
  5. Would early decision increase my chances
  6. Would taking the SAT math subject test or getting a good grade on math AP exam anyhow cancel out my horrible math grade in sophmore year
  7. Do I honestly have no chance (because I feel like I don’t…) and should I be focusing on other schools that match my stats

I am also from northern VA from a very competitive country and school.
I also apologize for my repetitive posts, I am honestly just so stressed and anxious. Thank you so much in advance.

Is 3.5 your weighted or unweighted GPA? A 3.5 weighted you would probably not get admitted even undecided university studies.

1. Transfering into Architecture isn't a sure bet - you may want to look elsewhere if must get into architecture.
  2. Transferring is difficult but not impossible - figure you would have to have straight A's freshman year
  3. Good SAT score will help you get in the school as well as reasons for upward trend. But not sure it will help you get into architecture - you don't seem competitive for getting in.
  4. Senior grades don't seem to really matter as they don't seem to take them.
  5. Apply early decision even if get deferred if your first choice in schools
  6. Kinda would if get like a 700+ on math section
  7. Does your school do weighted GPA. Honestly no I don't think you would get into architecture (maybe get in VA Tech)

3.5W will most likely not get you in even undecided

There are plenty of majors at VT that enroll some freshmen with 3.5 (and sometimes lower) GPA. Architecture is competitive though.

Yes, it is weighted gpa unfortunately. My school uses weighted system and I have no idea what my unweighted GPA might be. I took almost almost all honors and a lot of AP’s so I’m assuming my unweighted would be horrible as well. Is it possible to choose a different major in Vtech then later transfer? How competitive is university studies?

Yea 3.5 weighted and your going to have a difficult time getting into virginia tech. It is becoming more rare for 3.5 gpa students to get in. You need about a 3.8 these days to get in undecided.

FYI here is a short list of CC posters from the admissions thread (2019 EA and RD cycles), mostly with SAT’s under 1400. Admittedly just a small sample, but you can make your own conclusions. Pretty clear that VT prioritized GPA over SAT, which puts many kids from uber-competitive schools at a disadvantage.

@aklew01 GPA 3.93 SAT 1360 College of Natural Resources
@hokieinCO GPA 3.94 SAT 1260 Business
@STEM2017 GPA high 3’s SAT high 1200s Geography/Meteorology
@Tricities3024 GPA 3.7 SAT high 1200s Engineering
@knight_commander GPA 3.8w, ACT 32 International Relations
@als1234 GPA 3.9w, SAT 1280 Psychology
@isue38011 GPA 3.4uw/3.7w SAT 1370 Chemistry
@sportingclaymom GPA 3.7uw/3.8w SAT 1330 undeclared
@amd2019 GPA 3.8uw/4.19w ACT 35 engineering
@lukas1221 GPA 3.77 SAT 1430 Business
@my4add GPA 3.6uw SAT 1350 engineering
@amxn15 GPA 3.33uw SAT 1300 business
@98st8Wolf GPA 4.1w SAT 1290 undeclared
@thienan100 GPA 3.489 SAT 1100 CMDA/Science

@MomMartha GPA 3.87w ACT 35 - WAITLISTED
@genesmasher GPA 3.6uw/3.7w SAT 1330 WAITLISTED engineering
@rightyb GPA 3.6uw SAT 1300 REJECTED

my gpa will be at least 3.7 after junior yr and a bit higher if i include my senior year grades (I’m taking 5 ap’s next year)
How about their exploring CAUS major? would it be just as hard as applying for specific major such as architecture? I’m interested in their CAUS program in general so if I do end up applying I would like to apply into a major where I would have the most chances of getting in… they all seem pretty difficult though looking at their admission data but I couldn’t find anything on the undecided exploring CAUS major.