Are UCSC and UCR Safeties?

I have 4.08 UC GPA and 1460 SAT and ECs include science opmypiad event coordinator and i will start tutoring.
except for Merced I know these 2 are the easiest to get in
but would it be a safety or more of a match for me?
last yr was 51.4% admit rate and their 75% stats were 4.13 and 1380

With your UC GPA and test scores, you can consider them safeties as long as they are affordable.

I think they are safeties for you . . . but just keep in mind that some majors are more competitive than others. Good luck.

so if i applied engineering would it still be a safety?

For Engineering, I think UCR is a safety but for UCSC it is a solid Match school.

ok thanks so much

so is it fine if i have only 1 safety- which is UCR?

As long as you are willing to attend UCR as your only backup if you are not accepted into your top choice schools, then yes UCR is fine.

Yah I actually like UCR except it’s a bit 2 hot

https://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/infocenter/freshman-admissions-summary says that, for those who applied for fall 2016 with UC GPA of 3.80-4.19, 94% were admitted to UCR and 85% were admitted to UCSC.

http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/counselors/files/freshman-admission-matrix.pdf indicates that UCSC does not admit by major, but UCR may admit to the first choice major or to an alternate major. Some majors at each campus may require college GPA higher than 2.0 to declare.

so 1 safety is good?
or shud i add like a CSU?

Commented on your other thread but I would absolutely add Cal Poly Slo to your list - not a safety but very strong engineering program.

k how bout Cal Poly pomona?

CPP would be a good safety if you are willing to go there. It is also pretty hot in Pomona. Are you interested in staying in So Cal? Have you visited any of the schools?

i visited UCSD and UCSB so far and i like living in socal

so I have CPP, UCR, Alabama as safeties. Whenever I tell people my list, they think my safety should be ATLEAST UCSD. People think I am really smart, and lot of people with stats similar to me or even less have less safeties than I do. I have friends who have lower stats, but slightly better EC’s, and he said his safety is UCSD.
Should I have less safeties? I am fine with applying to these schools, but my friends think they all are bad schools.

Your friends that are stating that UCSD is a safety, have no idea of how competitive the UC’s can be. Your safeties are fine as long as you are happy to attend any of them. You have been told that you are a competitive applicant but there are no guarantees when it comes to college admissions, so apply to the schools that want and do not worry what others say. Friends not willing to support your decisions are friends not worth having.

Just a reminder that a 4.08 UC GPA is competitive but these are the admit rates for that GPA range:
Freshman admit rates for UC GPA of 3.80-4.19:

UCB: 14%
UCLA: 14%
UCSD: 44%
UCSB: 54%
UCD: 58%
UCI: 65%
UCSC: 85%
UCR: 94%
UCM: 96%

I think you are likely to get in but, wouldn’t consider either a safety. UC admissions can seem really nuts on an individual basis. It’s possible (though unlikely) you could be rejected from both. SDSU or CPP are almost certain to accept you - that’s a safety,

You should also know that admission to engineering programs is very competitive at almost all UC schools. For engineering, UCSD, UCSB, UCI, Cal Poly SLO are not safety schools for anybody.