Asian Americans admission to UMIAMI

<p>I'm Asian American and i was wondering if that will help me at all in getting accepted to U miami. I applied EA to UMiami and does being asian american increase or decrease my chances of getting in or not at all? If it does help or hurt me is it a significant difference or not? I got invited to apply for this scholarship called the Ronald A Hammond scholarship and it is for minorities that lack diversity in their community. It is a full tuition scholarship that is merit based and is very competitive. It asks you to answer like 3 short essays. I don't expect to get the scholarship but i applied for it anyway bcuz i thought it would increase my chances of getting accepted. Do you think that me applying for the scholarship will help me or not? Please respond</p>

<p>I dunno… there are a lot of Asian people here. Maybe? I’d say you probably fit into the category for the scholarship, but I don’t think it will help you too much in terms of admission.</p>

<p>I don’t think applying for any particular outside scholarship will influence the admission officers decision about your acceptance to UM. Once accepted, the financial aid office will be very interested in the total picture of your “inside” and “outside” scholarships as there are rules about the cumulative amounts not going over the tuition & fees.</p>

<p>I’m with rankinr, don’t know if your ethnicity plays any kind of role in the process of being accepted. I know UM boasts about its diversity and having been on campus a half dozen times over the past 2 years, I agree that you’ll meet people from all over the world there.<br>
~Zinc</p>

<p>k thanks a lot. U miami is one of my top choices and i was hoping me being asian american would help me get in bcuz i noticed on college *******.com under diversity for UMIAMI that is was 5% for asian americans which was even smaller than the percentage for african americans. not to be offensive or anything but being african american definitely helps with admissions so i was hoping that being asian american would help me for UMIAMI specifically.</p>

<p>@zincwhisker the scholarship is not an outside scholarship. Its a Umiami scholarship that they invited me to apply to and thts just what is was called.</p>

<p>Being a URM helps with scholarships, not admissions. Sorry, but those African Americans actually qualified to attend that school.</p>

<p>Sent from my PC36100 using CC App</p>