Ronald A. Hammond Scholarship

<p>Does anyone know the date for interviews for this scholarship?</p>

<p>No idea. But I have been in contact with the officer in charge with the scholarship, Sarah Koven, and she is very good about getting back to you in a timely manner. Her email is on the scholarship website. Good luck!</p>

<p>Yeah im wondering the same thing haha this is my only hope to going to such a great school</p>

<p>Emails are out! Will you guys be there?</p>

<p>Yep i got my email, i’ll be there! See you in miami!</p>

<p>My daughter received her email too. Any information on the interview weekend? Anybody out there been through this process in prior years that can offer any insight?</p>

<p>I’ll be there too!</p>

<p>Anyone know how many scholarships are given out? And how many are invited to interview?</p>

<p>I’m not sure how many are invited but I think they’re giving out 30…not 100% sure though I just feel like I read that somewhere.</p>

<p>Hey! I’m not sure if any of you guys (or girls) ^^ can help me but I recently got accepted to UM ED and wanted to apply to the RAH scholarship … I got an e-mail invite but my SAT scores are 10 points short of the minimum (580 math/660 reading = 1240) However, I know with my EC’s (president of BSU at my school, part of a prestigious cultural organization, founder of a cultural awareness organization outside of school, speak 3 languages, volunteer in various countries) that I would have a better chance. What should I do?! :/</p>

<p>^woahthisisme, contact Admissions directly about this. You are a boarderline case. Admissions at UMiami is great. They actually are responsive and have your interests in mind (as opposed to most other schools IMHO).</p>

<p>Does anyone know what sorts of questions are asked on the interview?</p>

<p>^NarissaBabie,
This is a thread from last year’s hopefuls. I’d reachout to them by PM and see if they can help.</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-miami-florida/1454839-hammond-scholarship-hopefulls.html?highlight=hammond[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-miami-florida/1454839-hammond-scholarship-hopefulls.html?highlight=hammond&lt;/a&gt; </p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>Thank you so very much! :D</p>

<p>Hello Everyone, I was just wondering what the process was like for the Ronald A. Hammond scholarship?
I’ve applied for the scholarship in January 2014 and I would like to have an idea on what the interview and process was like for you. Also, I noticed that the scholarship only covers tuition, not room and board. Is it possible to get financial aid for the other expenses besides tuition? Thanks!</p>

<p>We are supposed to be contacted by Valentines day about the decisions. Will we find out via canelink, email or phone?</p>

<p>Hello there, My son went through the interview process for the Hammond Scholarship and Singer Scholarship in 2013. I’m posting here about the Hammond portion in hopes that it will help someone, because we were helped a lot by what we read on CC during our process last year. Please note, the process may change for 2014, but this is what we experienced. </p>

<p>We arrived early on a Friday for the “Cane for a Day” program that was a part of the Hammond process. My son and another interviewing student were met at Cosford Cinema by a current freshman. They spent the remainder of the day with that student, attending classes, lunch, and meeting with the student and friends in her dorm room. We requested my son meet with people in his potential major as well during the visit, so a talk with the academic department was also arranged during the day - the current student very nicely agreed to take my son and the other interviewing student over for a brief meeting and tour. My son greatly enjoyed “Cane for a Day.” I highly recommend it. As parents, we weren’t involved in “Cane for a Day.” My son sent us a text to meet him in the later afternoon, and we had about an hour or so with him before a planned mixer with other parents and students in town for the Hammond interviews. </p>

<p>The mixer was very nice. We were able to meet parents and students from all over the country, current Hammond scholars, and adult administrators. After a while, the mixer broke up into smaller meetings with the parents in one room, and the students in another room. In the parent room, we were able to ask questions, and meet some of the people involved with Hammond at the school. I’m not sure what was discussed in the student room, but I think it was probably things to help them prepare for the interview process, and answers to any lingering questions.</p>

<p>On Saturday, the students met at a dorm on campus and participated in a panel interview for about 30 minutes. After that, the trip home and the wait. We were contacted by e-mail about my son’s scholarship status - I think it was maybe a month later? Not sure, maybe not that long. </p>

<p>The scholarship does cover tuition ONLY. However, if you qualify for additional financial aid, you can receive it, up to the cost of attendance to the school. Please note though, that any tuition-restricted scholarships provided by the school will be taken away if you receive the Hammond - no double-dipping!</p>

<p>I hope this helps. Please feel free to contact me if I can answer any other questions. My son accepted the Singer Scholarship and is a freshman architecture major at Miami right now. He is also a Foote Fellow and participates in Miami Commitment and the honors program. I can probably answer questions about those too, if needed. He really enjoys the school, and feels like it is a great fit for him. </p>

<p>@UMBArchDad did your son receive an email or was he informed via canelink that he was a finalist? Also, has anyone been informed this year about their status?</p>

<p>@TrueDreamer, He did receive an e-mail if I recall correctly. Canelink was just being phased in at that point. On another Hammond thread up here, I believe a few students have said they have already received an e-mail.</p>

<p>@UMBArchDad, thank you so much for the information. Though, I must say, that email was merely confirmation of receipt of our applications. Also, do you have any idea what sorts of questions were asked on the interview? Thanks again</p>