Ask a Current Binghamton University Student Anything!

<p>Hi all,</p>

<p>I am currently a second-semester junior majoring in finance and management information systems in the School of Management. Back in high school, College Confidential has helped me a lot through making my college decisions, working through my college essays, etc., so I would like to give back to the community by sharing my experiences at Binghamton University with all of you. I am not a student ambassador or anything. I just honestly love Binghamton and would like to share my experiences.</p>

<p>First, I would like to say if you are even slightly considering attending Binghamton, I strongly recommend coming here. Attending Binghamton University was probably the best decision that I have made in my entire life. I say this because of the quality of the education, the opportunities, the culture and personality of the school, and the support system from the faculty and staff. </p>

<p>In high school, I had great statistics, but I was waitlisted to Binghamton and I was one of 40 who was offered a spot off the waitlist. In my year, over 1000 students were offered a spot on the waitlist. I was actually quite annoyed and angry (as some of you are maybe right now) at the long wait that I had to endure. However, my dad convinced me to submit the postcard to accept my spot on the waitlist. And I am glad that I did!</p>

<p>So, feel free to ask any questions you may have! Also, feel free to direct any School of Management related questions to me, because I know a lot about the school and am extremely involved. </p>

<p>Note: This week is one of my more busy weeks, so I might be a little delayed in my responses! I apologize ahead of time for that.</p>

<p>Hi! I’m Sam, I’m a freshman at suny Oneonta and I was just accepted to binghamton on Thursday, paid my deposit on Sunday after receiving the official admission package. Ill be majoring in English at Harpur, and I’m thinking of doing a duel major with English and cinema but I’m not sure yet. I’m so excited to transfer to binghamton next year because all of my friends there are so happy they chose it just like you said. I have a question about the housing situation. What are the chances of a transfer student being placed in the apartments. I heard they may place me there from other students but I’m a little concerned because I want to have the social experience of living in a residential community. Also, when applying for housing, if I do random for a roommate, do I fill out a questionnaire or is it completely random? And my last question is that here at Oneonta, they have some residence halls designated as first year experience buildings which are all freshman and then the sophomores usually live in quads and the juniors live in suites while seniors live off campus, etc. I know the communities at binghamton are mixed ages, so is there a chance that a room can consist of a freshman, a sophomore, etc.? I’m fine with whatever arrangement, I just wanted to double check. Thanks!</p>

<p>Hi Cheriship,
You mentioned that Binghamton has offered you many opportunities. Do you mind if you can elaborate on the opportunities you’ve received as an SOM student?
How diverse is the student body at SOM? Is the culture at SOM relaxing or intense?
Thank you!</p>

<p>Hi! I’m a freshman in college currently and applied to Binghamton for my soph year. I have not heard back about a decision yet and I know many other people who have. Does this mean I have not been accepted? If not, is there a chance I could be accepted for Spring 2014? Thanks!</p>

<p>Hi
I just got the e-mail about housing assignments.
Can you please describe all of the different communities and where they are located in regards to the classrooms and the student union?</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>Hello and thank you for doing this. Doesn’t seem like there are too many good/safe off campus housing opportunities. Does UB have adequate on campus housing for anyone who wants it, including upper class men? Also is there plenty to do on campus without having to resort to going off campus or is that not realistic? Thanks again.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>A lot of people assume that living off campus means living downtown. There are two student housing options right near campus–within walking distance but there’s half-hourly bus service too–that people don’t seem to know about when they apply. One of them is Hayes; I don’t think they have a website. The other is University Plaza: [University</a> Plaza in Vestal, NY * Ambling Student Housing](<a href=“http://www.universityplazany.com/]University”>http://www.universityplazany.com/)</p>

<p>Can you tell me more about Watson the engineering school I heard its pretty much a joke and that a lot of the professors have very thick accents making learning math from them much much harder</p>

<p>Space909 are you hearing this from current students? It is curious that the Watson school of engineering school is ranked much lower than UB or SB. Any input from current students on the strength of the engineering school would be much appreciated.</p>

<p>Is the area really as bad as everyone says? I visited and I thought it seemed just fine, especially right off campus on Vestal Parkway…But what about the rest of the surrounding area? And how is off campus housing? Also, is the areas that students usually attend (to go to bars and stuff) safe enough? I’m really not one to worry about this but Im looking at potentially living off campus. Thanks!</p>

<p>Hello! I have AP Exams coming up soon, and I was wondering whether or not I should take them. Will the credits help me or will they end up being fairly useless? I understand that it gives me a little edge for housing in my sophomore year, as well as being able to choose classes, but will it really help me that much? I have been accepted into the SoM program as an incoming freshman.</p>

<p>The AP Exams that I am able to take are AP Macroeconomics, AP Physics B, and AP Literature. I know that the AP Physics won’t satisfy a lab grade, and I am unsure whether AP Literature will satisfy the English(Humanities?) requirement. Thanks so much!</p>

<p>Can you take a minute to talk about the Greek life and social fraternities at Binghamton.</p>

<p>I believe the misconception with Binghamton’s engineering program is that it’s the newest of the SUNY’s (started giving degrees in the late 1980’s) thus less known. I just don’t buy that the idea that any of the SUNY engineering programs are significantly better than the other (At least with the electrical or mechanical degrees) The schools offer the same core courses in many cases use the same books and have the same percentage of good and bad professors.
Also I don’t care what school you go to for an engineering the odds are they will have a significant portion of their faculty that English is there second language (do you really think that Stony brook or Buffalo don’t have this issue). I know people who have gone to engineering programs at prestigious private schools and that also was there primary complaint.
Binghamton engineering has been growing rapidly and is competitive to get in to (attracts tops students). In addition while Binghamton’s engineering program may be less known this is mitigated by its overall status as a top SUNY.
lastly the fact is that about 60% of the students going into engineering drop out of the program (that’s the reality of any good engineering program). Thus a school respected in other disciplines is something to think about if you’re going to change your major. Food for thought.</p>

<p>Hi all,</p>

<p>Thank you for all of your patience! I will answer all of your questions in segments.</p>

<p>@sam7194: Congratulations on getting accepted to Binghamton! I would say that the chances of transfer students being placed into apartments are pretty high, but if you choose CIW, there is a whole floor devoted to transfer students. You might be placed there and have a social experience. For random roommates, it would be generally random. The only thing that ResLife asks is smoking preferences and chemical free lifestyle preferences. A room can consist of students from all different years.</p>

<p>@MayLou1: I personally love being apart of the School of Management. I would say that Binghamton is definitely the best school for accounting and not bad for finance. Binghamton is the top feeder school to PwC and Ernst & Young, two of the Big 4 accounting firms, and ranked number two in the nation for accounting. </p>

<p>Here are some of the opportunities available for SOM students:</p>

<ol>
<li>Ernst & Young Trajectory Program: This program enables underclassmen to develop a career-focused mentoring relationship, earn credit and network with EY client serving professionals. It culminates with a presentation to EY senior management in NYC.</li>
<li>UBS Equities Research Externship: Structured externship with UBS, enabling students to work virtually with a team of Equity Research Analysts in NYC. The students’ research is included in the reports published by the UBS research team.</li>
<li>Service Leadership Projects: Students engage in action learning through the Manley’s Service-Learning Projects, whereby they work as strategic leadership consultants in local non-profit organizations. ([Center</a> for Leadership Studies at Binghamton University](<a href=“Bernard M. and Ruth R. Bass Center for Leadership Studies | School of Management | Binghamton University”>http://cls.binghamton.edu/))</li>
<li>Entrepreneurship Program: This program prepares students to bring their creative business ideas to life. Students from teams fully research and develop business plans and compete for cash to use as venture capital.</li>
<li>PwC Scholars Program: The PricewaterhouseCoopers Scholars program is an honors program within Binghamton University’s School of Management. Management and Accounting students get a head start in the business world through close interaction and collaboration with esteemed faculty; development of connections with PwC staff; supportive upper-class mentors who help students excel in professional and personal goals; and honors seminars featuring guest speakers from the local and New York City business communities where students learn best business practices.</li>
<li>Ernst & Young Connect Program: E&Y Connect Program is dedicated to mentoring underclassmen students to become professionals in the fields of accounting, finance, and information technology. Students are paired with EY professionals in a mentoring relationship.</li>
<li>Zurack Scholars Program: The program will integrate activities of the Zurack Trading Room and the financial engineering/finance programs of the School of Management with Harpur College of Arts and Sciences to prepare students for positions in the investment banking industry. Upon completion of the program, participating students will compete with graduates from Ivy League schools for front–office jobs at the best investment banking firms.</li>
<li>Dean’s Mentoring Program: The Dean’s Mentoring Program (DMP) is dedicated to fostering the professional development of outstanding freshman and sophomores by leveraging the resources of successful upperclassmen mentors, professionals, recruiters, alumni, and the Dean. We are committed to providing the time, effort, and resources to mentees who dream big and are excited and willing to put in the work to achieve those dreams. Mentees are representative of SOM’s best-- mentees will be given exciting opportunities including exclusive networking opportunities and one-on-one skill development.</li>
<li>SOM Women’s Initiatives: The Women in Business student organization has been bringing in strong female leaders to speak on women’s panels and guest speaker events. The unique structure of the organization allows all the members to hold leadership positions and gain teamwork experience. ([Women</a> in Business | Binghamton University](<a href=“http://www.binghamtonwib.com%5DWomen”>http://www.binghamtonwib.com))</li>
<li>Executive in Residence Program: Students meet with alumni and professionals one on one in the SOM Career Services suite to ask questions about professional development and career paths.</li>
</ol>

<p>Above is only some of what the School of Management has to offer. It is truly a school that offers a world-class education and career opportunities to help one succeed.</p>

<p>I would say SOM students are ambitious but not cut throat. Everyone is always willing to lend a helping hand as evident in the multiple mentoring programs. The culture is extremely supportive.</p>

<p>A majority of the students are from New York, especially the NYC and Long Island area. A lot of the alumni work in NYC, so if you are looking to work in the city, Binghamton has that network for the city.</p>

<p>@jr0194: Hi. I am only a student and I am not connected to the admissions department, so I have no idea if you have been accepted or not. You should contact the admissions office to find out. Sorry!</p>

<p>@sph555: First, here is the website with all the communities: [Binghamton</a> University - Residential Life - Communities](<a href=“http://reslife.binghamton.edu/communities.html]Binghamton”>http://reslife.binghamton.edu/communities.html).</p>

<p>CIW: CIW was my home for the past three years and I love it. CIW has both corridor and suite style. Most freshmen will end up getting corridor style. My freshmen year, I was placed in a corridor and I enjoyed meeting new and diverse people. My second year, I chose a suite and, though in a suite, I was able to leave my door open and meet new people. CIW is the closest to the university union.</p>

<p>Dickinson: Dickinson’s new buildings are opening up next year. I don’t know much about the new layout. More details will be on the website here: [Binghamton</a> University - Residential Life - Dickinson Community](<a href=“http://www.reslife.binghamton.edu/dickinson/index.html]Binghamton”>http://www.reslife.binghamton.edu/dickinson/index.html).</p>

<p>Newing: Newing is the furthest from the academic buildings and lecture hall, but it is one of the newest buildings. All the rooms are corridor style. [Binghamton</a> University - Residential Life - Newing College - Room Styles](<a href=“http://www.reslife.binghamton.edu/newing/room-types.html]Binghamton”>http://www.reslife.binghamton.edu/newing/room-types.html)</p>

<p>Mountainview: It could be quite a hike uphill, but it is another nice and new community. It is all suite style. </p>

<p>Hinman: It is probably the oldest community, but it is the closest to the lecture hall and academic buildings. It is also all suite style, but the rooms are extremely small. </p>

<p>If you want a new building, I recommend Dickinson and Newing.</p>

<p>If you want suite style, I recommend Mountainview.</p>

<p>If you want a social environment: I recommend CIW.</p>

<p>If none of that matters and you want to be close to the lecture hall, I recommend Hinman.</p>

<p>@Peppersmom: Hi! Binghamton has on campus housing for anyone that wants it. If you stay on campus, Binghamton will not kick you out. I would say there is a lot to do on campus. The Student Association holds concerts and fun activities every so often. But, the majority of the activities is offered by the over 200 student organizations on campus. There is always something happening from shows to performances to arts and crafts. I never had to really go off campus for anything.</p>

<p>@Space909: I would like to highlight Dutchuncle1’s post. Though I am not in Watson, I have a few friends who are. Watson is most definitely not a joke. It has one of the most rigorous schedules and coursework. It is challenging like any other engineering program. I know that my friends in the computer science department have gotten some internships at places like Apple, IBM, and Citigroup. My friends in the engineering department have gotten offers at Lockheed Martin, BAE Systems, etc. They are recently created a specific career services for Watson. However, needless to say, Binghamton’s Watson engineering program is nothing to scoff at. It is top notch and simply not as well known as the other SUNY schools. </p>

<p>@revoltxo: I would say the CITY of Binghamton is quite shady, but no one actually goes there. Binghamton University is located in VESTAL not downtown Binghamton. Vestal is actually extremely safe and upscale. It is a common misconception that the university is not safe because of the shady downtown area located nearby. [Vestal</a>, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia](<a href=“http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vestal,_New_York]Vestal”>Vestal, New York - Wikipedia)</p>

<p>I also have never heard any problems from my friends about the bar areas, but there are some places I would be careful about like you would in any other metro city area. Also, if you want to live off campus, most students live in Johnson City, a safe place and only a few minute drive to the university.</p>

<p>@punipenor: Take your AP Exams! If you get a 3 or above, you will get credits for them. AP Macroeconomics would place you out of the introduction Macroeconomics class. Unless you get a 5 on the AP Physics exam, you would get general credits that would help you for registration. AP English Lit would get you out of taking a Humanities general education class.</p>

<p>@hunsonabadeer: I am not involved in Greek life, so I am not the best person to answer your question. I would say about 10% of the student population are involved in Greek life. Maybe someone else could chime in and describe Greek life.</p>

<p>The only place I’ll really be going to is Cheri A. Lindsey Park for the skatepark, is there a bus that takes you near there?</p>

<p>@Ventura1995: Here’s the BC Transit map: <a href=“http://bmtsonline.com/files/planning/busmap8_2012_web1.pdf[/url]”>http://bmtsonline.com/files/planning/busmap8_2012_web1.pdf&lt;/a&gt;.&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Looks like you could take the 15 or 5 bus to BC Junction and then transfer to the 40 bus.</p>

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>I was admitted to Harpur but would like to transfer to SoM. I just wanted to know how you found your general education requirements and how you did in them? In addition, which did you take. I know that I will need a high GPA to transfer to the SoM.</p>

<p>Thanks</p>