Ask a current student anything and get honest answers

<p>Here is my question.. Those who attend UM.. Is the area around UM a good area (as in Coral Gables)? Is it costly to live in that town? Feel free to add any other opinions you have on the town as well.</p>

<p>I dont go to UM but I live in Miami so I believe I could answer you that question.</p>

<p>Yes, Coral Gables is an expensive area. It is generally talked that only rich people live in Coral Gables, although im sure this will fail to hold but I believe its true for most cases.</p>

<p>Yes, the area around the University, Coral Gables, is a good area and a costly one. There are a number of areas nearby for shops, restaurants, etc....The Miracle Mile in Coral Gables, The Sunset Mall, Coconut Grove, Merrick Park, and Dadeland Mall. If you need any further info, let me know.</p>

<p>I'm an actual student and a resident of South Florida. Coral Gables is a mixed area. The area near UM is very nice and across the street from Coral Gables there is a neighborhood with mansions and estates (one time accidentally i found my way in that little enclave). However a couple blocks away are rundown areas, like on your way to Coconut Grove. Walking is definitely not recommend nor safe, yet some students take that risk and walk back drunk and some make alive and others well...end up getting robbed and beaten up. Coral Gables area is very nice but you still have to be careful because the crime rate in the Miami-Dade/South Miami area is high. I've heard of stories of horrifying robberies at Dadeland Mall and in Spring I remember a girl was robbed while jogging. Though you have to use a little common sense. Who wears thousands of dollars in jewelry to college and while jogging in the early morning? I mean some of the students are just looking for trouble. You just have to use a little street smarts when making decisions.</p>

<p>And you can eat cheap or eat expensive. Same with shopping.
Miracle mile has little shops and Merrick Park features upscale shopping from designers like Gucci, Burberry, Chanel, etc.</p>

<p>Actually, the girl that you're talking about that got "mugged" while jogging made the whole incident up. While police were investigating and searching for the guy she claimed did this to her, they asked her to take them to the exact place where she was pushed down. She showed them an area that was fairly muddy, but there were not dirt stains on any of her clothes. She later admitted that she fabricated the entire incident.</p>

<p>According to my son, and he did not read this thread and I did not mention specifics, stated that the only crime he heard of was the girl who made up a story about being mugged while jogging.
The areas around campus are fine. Except for the area on the way to Coconut Grove which is very run down, the areas seem generally safe. He has no problems in areas he would walk to nearby campus- ie Sunset Place. The other areas (including Coconut Grove) are too far to walk and he would not be there alone at night anyway. There are mixed areas but I don't think the kids are hanging out (especially alone) in those. (At least my son is not.)
The city of Miami is not that close as to add to the crime rate in Coral Gables.
South Beach is about 20 minutes by car.
Common sense is key in this area near a big city.
You can check out the online newspaper for weekly crime. There is some theft on campus.
BRUINS- Where did you hear of robberies and beatings? Students? Areas?</p>

<p>As far as cost- I hear housing is expensive off campus. Food, clothing and fun is varied as it is everywhere. Something for everyone and every taste.</p>

<p>A girl I know, her father's friend was murdered after being followed home from the Dadeland Mall. Not saying that this does not happen at other places. I'm from Boca Raton, Florida and I'm not sure if everyone knows, but we have had quite a few murders at the Town Center Mall in the past two years, so it can definitely happen in the places you would never expect. And also not everything is publicized about robberies in Miami, and that is where the UM student scenarios come into play. Not many stories, but I've heard a few about walking back from Coconut Grove which is just stupid.</p>

<p>I've noticed the comments about the bad or questionable neighborhood on the way to Coconut Grove. My son is an incoming freshman, and we've made reservations during Orientation for 4 nights at the Residence Inn Miami Coconut Grove at 2835 Tigertail Avenue in Coconut Grove. Is this in that questionable area? Of course, my son will be on campus during this time, so this is really an inquiry on behalf of his mother, brother and me!</p>

<p>No, I don't think that that's in the bad area. I believe that's pretty close to the shopping/dining area. The area that is bad is on Grand Avenue in between US 1 and the actual "Grove"</p>

<p>Thanks for the quick response, lylbeachbabee!</p>

<p>We were down to Miami to visit recently. The rundown area on the way to Coconut Grove is sadly run down and poverty stricken. Pretty scary to drive by. Once through it, the area is really nice and Coconut Grove is pretty, by the water, great shops. Etc. (We had a great lunch at Bice before we left.) You will be fine there. Did not notice any kind of hotels in the "wrong" area, as they would not stay in business. Think you are fine.
By the way, I really think the kids that go to the Grove from campus take the Canes Shuttle to get back and forth (or catch a ride with friends who have a car.) My son walks to Sunset Place which is a 15 minute walk from campus. The Dadeland Mall is on the train line which is picked up right outside campus.</p>

<p>For your own comfort, check out the mall (drive by is OK) and Sunset Place. Also, the area surrounding campus is nice. My younger son stayed in the the dorm one night and on our way to pick them up, we stopped at an open house- in the canal, just minutes from campus- 1.2 million (after being reduced!) There are lower income areas not to far away, but I just don't think the kids are wandering around and wouldn't say they are necessarily bad areas anyway as far as crime.
Reinforce to your son to stay in safe areas with other kids. I think the kids feel safe at UM.
Enjoy orientation. We arrived early last year and did some day trips. The only planned activity we participated in was Parent Brunch (younger son came too and it was OK) which was great. Gave us a great feeling about leaving son. Lots of spirit and care noted. Met parents from all over. Highly recommended. Move in was smooth too. Huge laundry carts available to load things in.</p>

<p>Just an FYI on a useful item..... The dressers are small, but the closets are huge. Bring lots of hangers. Also, I purchased a hanging sweater storage unit (one piece with 5 or so separate shelves) at my local grocery store (and seen since at CVS). Other than the metal hooks, it is soft plastic/fabric and comes folded up. Great to use as storage for all the shorts which would never fit in the dresser. Also, remember umbrellas. Got a small fold up and a huge one-the rain can be unbelievable.
Good luck!</p>

<p>The Residence Inn is in a nice area with an easy walk to shops and restaurants. We love Le Buchon for breakfast when we stay in the Grove. There is a lot of good info on orientation in older threads if you do a search.
<a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-miami-florida/87475-when-do-we-say-goodbye.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-miami-florida/87475-when-do-we-say-goodbye.html&lt;/a>
<a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-miami-florida/90653-home-move.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-miami-florida/90653-home-move.html&lt;/a>
<a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-miami-florida/226815-i-m-here-cg-any.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-miami-florida/226815-i-m-here-cg-any.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>I think we should start breaking out these new questions into new separate threads so the info is easy to find for current and future families.</p>

<p>Crazed and My-3-Sons - thanks for your great responses, too!!</p>

<p>Glad to help.
Can't believe it's been a year since I was doing all the asking!! This site was so valuable to me.
Keep asking questions or check the past threads, this and the ones listed by my3sons.
By the way, noted by my3sons on one of those sites that your son started in 2005. Is he a senior this year? Plans? (And since you are so knowledgeable, any ideas for my HS senior- wants mid-sized school in northeast, campus in suburbs, we are hoping for some merit $- and he is not a top student- smart though. Hates the heat, so there goes UM for him!)
thanks.</p>

<p>Hey, I'm a new transfer and I'm just wondering about jobs on campus. When should I start applying for my jobs so I can get the best possible one? Also, if I can get a job in the gym.. is that typically a good job?</p>

<p>job listings are regularly posted on myUM. and primarily at the beginning of the month. You can also stop by the student employment office on campus to see listings.</p>

<p>on campus jobs typically require an interview and sometimes they ask that you submit a resume. finally gym jobs are rather popular, and they are generally considered "good". the wellness center is the biggest student employer on campus.</p>

<p>crazed-He is a senior.... where did the time go??? He is seriously thinking of dental school but wants to take a year to work and put away some money first. This summer he's busy working on campus and studying for the DAT exam. I'll think about your younger one and see if I can come up with something.</p>

<p>burgler-There is a link to the job postings on myUM. I believe they go over this during orientation, but the early bird does get the worm so if you really want a specific job, make sure you apply as soon as you hit campus or email the employer a few days earlier.</p>

<p>my-3-sons, interesting, I'm going to be a junior and plan to start studying for the DAT next summer :) best of luck to your son! Thanks for the help, I'll prolly take the job in the gym.</p>

<p>I'm a current student at the University of Miami, but I only started in Spring as a Freshmen transfer and missed out on Spring rush due to adjusting to campus and getting my admission and setting up at the last minute, but definitely want to go GREEK this Fall. What fraternities are good at Miami? Now I know they say that "there is no hazing" but I was not born yesterday and am aware that I will have to do some intense actions to my respect and trust for my brothers. However which frats are known not to be too harsh with the things they make pledges do. I heard of some horror stories and I do not understand how almost dying proves that you trust your brothers, so if pledging requires me to drink to the point where I am alcohol poisoned and need to be rushed to Jackson-Memorial to get my stomach pumped, then I do not want to deal with that fraternity. I'm Jewish, however, from my understanding, I heard that the Jewish fraternities tend to be the most harsh.</p>

<p>Are you able to get great jobs at California from graduating at University of Miami?</p>