Ask a current student anything and get honest answers

<p>I am only going to be a sophomore at the University of Miami, but I will be glad to answer that question for you...however I plan on attaining my MBA in California at one of the top UC's or privates, Stanford would be amazing...</p>

<p>How well does everyone fit in? I'm a Midwest Irish boy from Ohio and I would love to go to school in Miami, but I was wondering how I would fit in. I know there are many different types of people at any college, but not everyone is a superstar jock or with perfect bodies(I'm in decent, not great, shape, BTW).</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>You'll fit in with probably the same people you would at any other school you go to. People really aren't that much different, and chances are there are the same types of people at every type of school, you might want to take into consideration things such as the city you will be living in and the quality of education you will receive. Remember - if you think of Miami as the Will Smith song.. chances are you should spend time before you really move there.</p>

<p><a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-miami-florida/527601-orientation-move.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-miami-florida/527601-orientation-move.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>This question probably gets asked a lot, but how affected does the campus get from hurricanes? Or does it range from not that bad, to the whole campus being torn up?</p>

<p>Miami hasn't been hit by a hurricane in over 8 years if that answers your question.</p>

<p>it was hit by Wilma 3 years ago</p>

<p>South Florida has had quite a few hurricanes since 2004 (starting with Katrina) and as you can see the campus is fine. Buildings are in perfect shape, trees are still standing etc...
We are fortunate to get hit by lower category hurricanes than category 4's. We dont often get the real bad ones as many of the hurricanes that hit Miami strike land in Cuba and or other islands right before hitting Miami, thus weakening the storm. when we get hit its generally a category 1 if not 2 hurricane which causes mostly torn branches and what not.</p>

<p>In 2005, UM was affected by Katrina, Rita and Wilma. Each time the school closed for a few days during and after the storm for cleanup. That yeaar they had to add a few days onto the fall semester so academics would not be compromised.</p>

<p>The school does a good job of keeping the kids safe. All on campus students are confined to their dorms and boxed meals are provided until administration feels the campus is safe and secure. Quite a few trees were lost that season including the big banyan by "the rock" dubbed the "Spirit Tree". I wouldn't let the threat of hurricanes affect your decision about attending UM.</p>

<p>Whats being an Alumni like? Do alums like to take care of each other? Strong in South Florida?</p>

<p>Thank you in advance. </p>

<p>so.......
GPA – 3.83 HPA – 4.43
rank 24/687, top 3.5%</p>

<p>Algebra 1 Honors
Geometry Honors
Algebra 2 Honors
Pre-Calculus (honors)
English 1 Honors
English 2 Honors
English 3 Honors
Integrated Science 1 Honors
Biology 1 Honors
Chemistry 1 Honors
Physics 1 Honors
World History Honors
French 3 Honors
French 4 Honors
Symphonic Band Honors – Grades 9 and 10
Health Science 1 Honors
Health Science 2 Honors
EKG Aide / Health Unit Coordinator Honors
Pathophysiology Honors
AP Literature and Composition
AP Statistics
AP Calculus AB
AP Biology
AP Environmental Science
AP American History
AP American Government
AP Microeconomics </p>

<p>• Order of the Arrow (Honor Roll) Grade 9, 10, 11
• Certificate for Acceptance into the National French Honor Society
• Certificate for Acceptance into the National Technical Honor Society
• Nomination to Who’s Who Among American High School Students
• Nomination to the National Young Leaders Conference 2007
• Nomination to the National Youth Leadership Forum on Medicine 2007
• Nominated to The National Society of High School Scholars
• FCAT Certificate of Achievement Grade 9, 10, 11
• S.T.A.R. (Scholarship. Thoughtfulness. Attitude. Respect.) Award
• Superior Award for a clarinet choir at FBMA Solo and Ensemble
• Invited to the University of Miami Summer Scholars Program 2008
• Nominated to the People to People Student Ambassador Program 2008
• Acceptance to the 2008 Congressional Student Leadership Conference
• Honorary Mention at the Foreign Language Fair 2008</p>

<p>• HOSA (Health Occupations Student of America) Grade 9, 10, 11, 12
• HOSA Assistant Volunteer Coordinator Grade 10
• HOSA Volunteer Coordinator Grade 11
• HOSA Chairman of Fall Leadership Conference Grade 12
• HOSA Fall Leadership Conference 2006, 2007
• Florida HOSA Winter Leadership Camp 2007
• Model United Nations Grade 10
• "Town Name" for Darfur Grade 9, 10, 11, 12
• Habitat for Humanity Grade 11, 12
• Habitat for Humanity Co-Founder and Co-President Grade 11, 12
• Symphonic Band Grade 9, 10
• First Chair Clarinetist Grade 10
• National Honor Society Grade 11, 12
• National French Honor Society Grade 11, 12
• Public Relations Chairman for National French Honor Society Grade 12
• National English Honor Society Grade 11, 12
• National Science Honor Society Grade 11, 12
• National Social Studies Honor Society Grade 11, 12
• National Technical Honor Society Grade 11, 12
• National Math Honor Society Grade 11, 12</p>

<p>over 100 volunteer hours</p>

<p>• Math Tutor 2006-2007
• Starbucks Coffee Co. 2008-present </p>

<p>• American Heart Association Basic Life Saving Certification
• EKG Technician Aide Certification</p>

<p>and finally 1270/1600 on SAT and 28 on ACT (just retook ACT find out wednesday i think i did much better.)</p>

<p>if you think i will get in what scholarships do you think i would get and how much do you think i would have to pay per year for tuition/ dorm</p>

<p>I think you can get a 15k-20k scholarship despite the fact that you did not meet the 1300 SAT requirement. Just argue, because your rank is really high and also aim higher. I think you can get into top 10 schools with your grades and accomplishments. Look into like Emory, WashU, NYU, BC, Vanderbilt, Duke, UNC, UVA, etc.</p>

<p>I'm pretty sure that your other qualifications (rank, and all your EC's) will make up for the fact that your SAT score is sub 1300. Depending on how much your ACT scores rises you are definitely set for the dean's scholarship (1/2 tuition)</p>

<p>Hey.. I am transferring to UM internationally in January on Sports Scholarship, I was just wondering if they are treated differently with housing procedures?</p>

<p>Also how cold does it get in Winter in Miami?
thankks</p>

<p>Depending on the sport, athletes tend to ilive in Mahoney Residential College, in either Mahoney or Pearson. Miami does get a bit nippy, especially in recent years. I'd say it can dip all the way into the low 50s-high 40s. However, during the winter it is typically in the 70s and 80s. Hope this helps!</p>

<p>Do transfers still get financial aid packages, like a normal student coming in?</p>

<p>do the 1300+ SAT scholarships have GPA requirements? My cumulative GPA (before this semester's grades) is 3.42. There are 2 APs in there that are weighted.</p>

<p>I don't know why, but I am incredibly drawn to this school for some reason...</p>

<p>Just wondering how long it takes for the admission committee to make a decision after an application is completed and submitted for review. Also rather than waiting for their decision to be mailed, do they post decisions online anywhere because I heard they don't post them on my um?</p>

<p>Options</a> and Deadlines | University of Miami</p>

<p>They will mail you something, but I've heard that some EA people are notified via a pop-up on the site (one time only) that they are accepted.</p>